Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times

Advertisements

I'm going to give it up eventually, probably will be moving to ebikes. More economical, better health benefits, good bike trails and routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 07:31 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I would only give it for if I could replace it with a sports cars like a VW GTI in stick shift. Got to have some entertainment.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:24 PM

48 posts, read 40,440 times
Once in a while, I think about giving up motorcycling, for it is so dangerous, but I love it so much, so I can't break through to that decision. I love it even more than car driving. Hope and pray that I won't end up in a wheelchair.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM

48 posts, read 40,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I would only give it for if I could replace it with a sports cars like a VW GTI in stick shift. Got to have some entertainment.
I only buy cars in stick shift. Automatic is so boring.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:46 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I gave up motorcycle riding when I started flying in 1994 and sold my two bikes. I can mitigate the risks much better in the air, especially today with so much distracted driving. I do miss it occasionally and may get a dirt bike to ride off road.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
If you live at high altitude and in the mountains. (and in USA or Canada)... Make yourself a GTD (Turbo Diesel GTI like the rest of the world gets to enjoy). Only takes a long weekend using a GTI and a DONOR TD VW.

GTD saved me from a lot of COLD and snowy motorcycle commutes while living in CO.
  • Wipers
  • Heater
  • Radio
  • + 50 mpg and fun!

Only 2nd best to a motorcycle, but a nice alternative during the winter,

Old 01-06-2021, 03:54 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I loved motorcycles for 15 years. At one point I had 3 bikes, I would just picked the one I wanted to ride that day. Then I discover flying, now its been 35 years airborne and I wouldn't trade back.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I did give it up. I slid once and was lucky to have not hit a curb or get run over. I have kids now. I can’t afford to live that dangerously.

Someday I imagine I’ll put my knees in the breeze again. I do miss it now and then.

I have, however, occasionally thought about a scooter.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I loved motorcycles for 15 years. At one point I had 3 bikes, I would just picked the one I wanted to ride that day. Then I discover flying, now its been 35 years airborne and I wouldn't trade back.
I can understand that (me being near to ID Backcountry strips, and previously lived in BC Gulf Islands (Float planes)). The freedom of flying is unmatchable.

An 85 Year old friend I just had to place in an eldercare home, clears a forest, and built his 3rd rural airstrip home when he was over age 70, same time he traded his CB750 for a Goldwing. He was a very small guy with a very long handlebar moustache. And a very fun pilot, mechanic, and at least half crazy (as most of us are!). He served WWII with the Flying Tigers in Burma. The stories...

But... I had a very great ADV MC ride today... 20 min from home... 10 water crossings in an 8 mile stretch. Saw no vehicles, only wildlife, and ranch animals. A couple close encounters with deer at sunset. A 70 YO friend on BMW GS got smacked broadside by a deer this weekend and got a stretcher ride to the hospital. I was hit broadside by one a few weeks ago, but I did not go down, really bent up my tank, broke tach and signal off Don't think my deer died either (Darn, need a few less deer in the road).

Old 02-05-2021, 08:05 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
@stealth: Sorry about the deers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles