Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:00 AM

2,589 posts, read 2,281,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
When riding a bike, you have to have Situational Awareness, meaning you look out for anything that could possibly go wrong, cars at intersections, cars in front, beside and to the rear of you. Just pay attention!!!!!!!
Excellent advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 11:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I did.

Irresponsible while kids depend on you.
May pick it up again when they're up and out.
Yes... I took a break for 20 yrs while there were kids to feed, but my vintage racers waited for me in the corner of the barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
One of my riding buddies is paralyzed from the waist down due to a minor motocross crash. He was only 27 years old at the time. I did some serious soul searching after that.
. Yup, I lost 3 friends in 3 weeks when I was 20, so I slowed down my racing, but I had also just become a caregiver for my disabled dad, so I was busy and needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I've been riding motorcycles since the late 60's and I'm still riding motorcycles. ... you have to have Situational Awareness, meaning you look out for anything that could possibly go wrong, cars at intersections, cars in front, beside and to the rear of you. Just pay attention!!!!!!!
I hammered the 5 SMITH driving rules into my kids, (Look ahead, Be seen, and keep your own eyes open, and have an escape route) and I still keep them handy. You MUST to survive (in cars or Cycles, or my semi trucks). I find my Bicycle to be way more dangerous in traffic than my motorcycles (cars definately do not see bicycles, SOMETIMES they see motorcycles. You cannot get out of danger on a bicycle, and you can often get hit from the rear. I have had 4 friends killed on bicycles, and just a few more on motorcycles.

I will probably have to 'give-up' motorcycles when I can no longer kick start my thumpers. A friend gave his up, cuz he had to have a buddy come kick start it.

I do find that I still much prefer fire / dirt roads, and still LOVE drifting corners flat out.. BUT.... I broke my leg doing that this yr, the day AFTER my insurance expired due to old age... It was the first bone I have broken in many yrs of racing / riding.

I have 9 vintage bikes, and I still am searching CL for more... BAD HABIT..

Riding for economy (living in Colorado winters) went away in 1976, when I got my first evil VW Diesel.
50 mpg using free cooking oil, while having HEAT and wipers

I have many FAST diesel GTD VW's with suspension kits, and it makes driving switchbacks everyday, nearly as fun as motorcycling them, especially during 250 plus days of rain per yr. Thus I took 2 vintage cycles to my Hill Country TX home. They get lots of use there (for many more yrs).

I will be taking my vintage bikes to Europe and NZ to tour, then sell. There is a great MC museum in Nelson, NZ. (Funded / assembled by a texan !). Maybe he immigrated to get healthcare Good idea!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-02-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-02-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yup, I lost 3 friends in 3 weeks when I was 20, so I slowed down my racing, but I had also just become a caregiver for my disabled dad, so I was busy and needed.

I have had 4 friends killed on bicycles, and just a few more on motorcycles.

Sorry for your losses. Were the friends killed on dirt bikes or road bikes?

That's a lot to lose 4 friends on bicycles. I didn't know there were a lot of deaths from bicycle riding.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 AM

3,373 posts, read 9,156,200 times
Never.

I would never promise to stop riding to any women or man. If I felt I had to do that...I picked the wrong girl.

Ride a bike where the cars are not...it is good to get a break from them.

Attached Thumbnails
Anyone ever thought about giving up Motorcycles?-2015-10-20-10.22.55.jpg  

Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Sorry for your losses. Were the friends killed on dirt bikes or road bikes?

That's a lot to lose 4 friends on bicycles. I didn't know there were a lot of deaths from bicycle riding.
3 died dirt racing (very rare)

Bicycling is really dangerous because of speed delta between car and rider, and limited sight.

A very good HS teacher friend (Age 55) got killed on his bike by a previous student that he had 'hand held' through High School to get him graduated. 'hit and run' on cell phone... the kid got 5 yrs in prison and had another offense in less than a week after release, so is back in prison.

Sometimes it is worth quitting riding to satisfy insecurity / responsibility in a relationship. Just a priority thing. I went without a beer for 20 yrs of child raising, now my kids will bring me beers , (But I will not keep any in fridge, due to spouse disliking that. It is not a big deal to me, but might be to some.). I occasionally will have a beer or drink when overseas. (In USA I hold a ZERO tolerance CDL license, so it is not worth the risk).

YMMV

A SIGNIFICANT risk is riding motorcycles in various countries with Left hand Lane driving (If you are from USA / Right Hand lane). I noted the 2 riders from UK who rented cycles in Utah last yr. 1st stop for fuel, they pulled out onto 2 lane road in Left Lane, and persisted to have a 'head-on'. I find that a constant issue for me in Thailand / Malaysia / NZ, AU... Very EZ on a motorcycle to forget... A car... (Keep the steering wheel to center of road... If you have a 'regional' vehicle)

Old 04-03-2016, 06:13 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Never.

I would never promise to stop riding to any women or man. If I felt I had to do that...I picked the wrong girl.

Ride a bike where the cars are not...it is good to get a break from them.

Trade me locations. I moved from Denver, with a KLR, to Georgia (central, flat, no public lands). Unless you're into cruising between bars, or droning along the interstate for hours, the riding is unfulfilling for anyone with a few years experience. There is *no where* you can get away from traffic, at least not without 6 hours round-trip travel to get to/from.

It's seriously the most depressing place I've ever been as a motorcyclist. Even Phoenix, AZ was better, and I was street-only at that point in time.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
A very good HS teacher friend (Age 55) got killed on his bike by a previous student that he had 'hand held' through High School to get him graduated. 'hit and run' on cell phone... the kid got 5 yrs in prison and had another offense in less than a week after release, so is back in prison.
This is just awful. "No good deed goes unpunished".

Old 04-03-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I will probably have to 'give-up' motorcycles when I can no longer kick start my thumpers. A friend gave his up, cuz he had to have a buddy come kick start it.

I do find that I still much prefer fire / dirt roads, and still LOVE drifting corners flat out.. BUT.... I broke my leg doing that this yr, the day AFTER my insurance expired due to old age... It was the first bone I have broken in many yrs of racing / riding.

I have 9 vintage bikes, and I still am searching CL for more... BAD HABIT..
Kick start, fire/dirt roads, vintage bikes....This tells me you own a XR650R

Old 04-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Kick start, fire/dirt roads, vintage bikes....This tells me you own a XR650R
Sorry... XT& TT 500's,

plus a few TL & MR 250's bought NEW. 1975 and 1976 (only yrs they were made)

Several XS650's (kenny roberts style and bone stock)

I rode my XS2 to my 40th HS reunion. It has been everywhere with me,.

I love torque, thus I drive a diesel when I have to use more than 2 wheels.

Recently did some NZ trucking using 10 axle 36 Wheelers ! Yikes, to buy 36 $300 tires!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 PM

547 posts, read 504,026 times
Sure you can be maimed or killed riding.
Motorcycling can also keep you alive inside.
Dual sporting works wonders for my sanity.
Ride the highway and get into the woods as fast as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles