Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 06:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times

Advertisements

Hrm, sounding like I'm odd-man out here as I've crashed a Bunch of times. Granted, the overwhelming majority of those times I was on a closed course (racing, track days, test and tune days) and pushing limits, but the end result is that crashing has never really bothered me from a Fear perspective.

I've done it a few times away from those closed courses too, from newbie "forgot to put the kickstand down" dumps to being hit from behind on the interstate.

Anyway, fear of gravel all but vanishes if you start sliding around on a little XR100 for fun/play. Nearly impossible to get hurt on one of those, but the skills gaining is tremendous. You learn to loosen up and let the bike slide/move.

I have 2 "gotchas" that I'm most cautious about... behind hit from behind (because it's happened to me 3 times, and I've Narrowly avoided about 6~7 other times) and railroad tracks that diagonal across the road. But it's not those that ended my riding, that was simply boredom. No interesting roads within several hours, no interesting OFF-road even further than that, no interesting scenery and I'm not into long-haul riding, or bar hopping. But I think the big killer is the lack of community here in Georgia. I'm just fundamentally different than the people who ride here, wouldn't want to hang out with anyone who calls on me as a mechanic (unlike absolutely every other place I've lived), just can't find anyone who's a kindred spirit... probably because the riding here is so abysmal. Depending on where the Next move takes me, and when, I might get involved again... kept my main gear for that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Turning across gravel is probably the only thing that really makes me "nervous". Cars hate me for it but I have no problem coming down to a crawl when I hit it. I've been down before and have no desire to repeat it again.

When I took my MSF class, the first thing our instructors told us was "Everyone goes down. Not if, but when. It's going to happen". I've had other riders laugh at me when I say that. Funnily enough, it's always the cruiser riders. Usually riding the big 800lb+ behemoths. Who also wear jeans, a t-shirt and maybe a leather vest with a beanie or open faced helmet. My only advice to them is have fun picking out the asphalt, because it sucks.
Yep. I usually slow way down on any turn, asphalt or gravel, before taking it. So far, no one behind me has given me any grief over it and if someone wants to become a horn-gorilla, then let them pound it like the ape they are!! Since I'm on a street cruiser, it's even more imperative to be able to at least attempt to catch myself when it goes down at a slow speed. That way, it's all about picking it up and riding off as opposed to breaking something.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I have been riding scooters in the burbs and back roads for over ten years. I have used them for errands and short pleasure rides on the back roads, but I am thinking of selling and quitting too. I have never laid one down but I have had some close calls. When I lived in a very remote rural area riding was a peaceful and fun excursion into nature. Not so much fun now because of the constant stress of having to be hypervigilant of cars and every obstacle from manhole covers to gravel. Once pleasant rides have become chores and I am tired of it all. Plus tired of riding alone. I ride bicycles on local rail trails with no car stress and can immerse myself in nature with other cyclists. I can ride for hours car free. Other times I can take long rides in the country in the car with my dogs along and wear whatever I want to, like another poster said. I am pretty much wanting to give it up too. It has become boring, lonely, and risky to the point I want to be done. I have too many at home dependent on me and even a broken arm would not only hurt me but my role as a caregiver. Last scoot up for sale but I will keep my gear for now. Gonna do a little bicycle shopping in the spring to ease the loss for now. I may ride again but need to leave it behind to focus on cycling and hiking and avoid risk. I am tired of it all and I guess that's the gist of it.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Almost a year since my last post ended this thread. I sold my ride in May and did not get another, though I think about it all the time, especially when I ride down a pretty country road.

Not sure if I will get another. I am in no hurry to find out. Got a nice car with a moonroof which takes me and my dog on joy rides where we feel the sun on our faces and the wind in our hair.

Time will tell.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:28 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I got around to selling a few of my collectable 1970's vintage cars earlier this summer to free up space in the barns/hangar … and one buyer spotted my 1970's guzzi's and ducati's. Made me an offer on them that was reasonable, so they got loaded up, too.

I haven't ridden since … and not sure if I'm ready to buy another at this time. Would probably buy a much newer 1100cc 'guzzi if the opportunity arose, but am not looking or shopping around. So the chances of finding such a bike are pretty slim. Can't say if this will be a permanent situation, but I haven't missed riding this year.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:01 PM

4,846 posts, read 2,665,246 times
not yet but I'm only 70

Old 11-23-2018, 02:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
On a good year I ride about 2000 miles, but a lot less lately. I picked up running so the two collide when the weather is ncie, and lately running has been winning. The bike isn't going anywhere though.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
There have been three people hurt or killed on bikes we knew as acquaintances this past week. One I am not exactly sure what happened, but he lost control and hit a tree. I don't know if he was doing something wrong or not, the others I know did nothing wrong. They were doing it all right, wore helmets rode safe and a car pulled out and took them out.

My wife and I were riding over to one of the keys off of Englwood fla. this past weekend, we like to take the back way to avoid as much of the traffic from the snow birds,they make it hell to drive. In Fla you either have over 70 who should not have a DL or 16 who also should not have a DL turning in front of you or almost driving into you. We had 2 incidents that gave us a bit of a shock. An Octogenarian that turned and stopped dead in the road making us vear around him and 16yo who decided to cut traffic and cross when there was no such room to do so, both almost causing an accident.

My question is has anyone ever decided as much as you like to ride ever thought about giving it up due to the idiots on the road? More and more people at least here in Fla. Many who should not have a DL.

Generally if you're dead and your bike looks like a toaster oven, it means you did something wrong. On bikes it's combat and you have to drive for the idiots also.....you go slow in town assume everybody is out to kill you and on the freeways you go fast and build a defensible space around you.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
The cellphone will be the death of Motorcycling. It nearly killed me, and totaled a rare RZ350NC2.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I am 76 and stopped riding at age 60. I have been looking at some of the 3 wheel bikes but as I downsized, I no longer have the room but I can drool.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles