Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:28 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,288,371 times

Advertisements

All three are fine, i prefer a chain, clean it, adjust it, and lube it, they will last a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 11:57 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I did hear some about BMW having such issues but I thought it was isolated to a specific year/model for them as well.
Surprising, since BMW is known to be durable and well-engineered.

I always felt BMW, H-D and Ducatis were a bit overhyped and overpriced, anyhow.
Imho, Indian/Victory are way better American cruisers for the money.
Hmm, no: multiple years of BMWs had shaft spline issues. Was never in that crowd so don't have every last factoid at my fingers, like I do for say the bad IMS engine problems on specific Porsche 996 and 997 (series) 911 motors. We pay attention to that which affects us directly much more keenly...the sole reason I kept clear of certain used cars a few years back so as not to court a $16K engine failure.

My buddy tossed a couple shafts on his '85 K-bike. Left him stranded once or twice. I think he had it mostly solved after that, with whatever repairs they do.

Don't be fooled, many BMW bikes have a less-than-sterling rep for holding together. That's both anecdotal, from R-bikes my buddy owned more recently to many, many stories on various forums...for decades. Ditto their cars, actually, of which I have owned two for about 100K miles between them. BMWs are interesting engineering, for-sure, and I'm love-hate on the genre.

You're right, Ducati can be fan-boy bikes. Some Multistradas (Gen II) had real trouble, as in inherent engineering flaws the company had to solve in successive generations, and only mediocre quality to begin with. In 15K miles, mine gave me zero trouble other than the recalls. My latest, a '14 with only 5K miles, who knows? One part just went bad that shouldn't have, the sender on the fuel gauge(??), covered under extended warranty...the exact reason I got one...so we'll see what comes of it. I knew when I bought it they were slightly screwy.

H-D? (Guffaw): Google "LAPD H-D motorcycle patrol bike report" and read the report in-toto, you'll never go near the dumb things again. I've eyeballed Indians as possible spare bikes, would try those in a heartbeat before the other these days. I'd be thrilled if Indian/Victory sank H-D in about ten years, though likely won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles