Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times

Advertisements

Awesome.. I did not think this post would still be going, but it is.

As I stated in the beginning I have an 07 1200 Custom Sportster and hubby has an 05 Deuce Softtail..

I almost decided to sell my bike this summer.. We seen two motorcycle accidents in one weekend (a day apart from each other)..the first one went down in a sharp curve..on The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC.. (this is 318 curves in 11 miles) the guy was an Idiot.. he was on a crotch rocket leaned the bike down to far in the curve and lost it.. he hit the pavement so hard his helmet shattered.. ughhh and then wanted to get up with two broken shoulders and ride out of there..lol I told the guy he was nuts and wouldn't help him up I told him he needed not to move but he wouldn't listen..but his buddies got there and helped him. The did drive off with him in a car.. before the cops got there so never knew if he was really ok.. but he was delusional before he left, and the second one was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.. a guy just bought a new bike in which was a HUGE bike and looks like he gave it to much gas from the stop sign and went down in the grass on side of the road the guy was ok but called his bike a stupid bike..I though to myself.. ya mean stupid driver..(lucky he didn't go down the side of the mountain)...we helped them both and made me wonder if I should keep riding and thought to have my hubby go get the truck and load mine up.. but I got back on it and still love it..Guess it just shook me up a bit. I think if I would have seen one more accident I might have said that's enough.. needless to say after seeing that we went back to the campground and had a couple of beers.. I'm sure those won't be the last accidents I will ever see though.. just hopefully none that close again..

Anywho keep up the great conversations.. and I hope everyone as a very Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Awesome.. I did not think this post would still be going, but it is.

As I stated in the beginning I have an 07 1200 Custom Sportster and hubby has an 05 Deuce Softtail..

I almost decided to sell my bike this summer.. We seen two motorcycle accidents in one weekend (a day apart from each other)..the first one went down in a sharp curve..on The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC.. (this is 318 curves in 11 miles) the guy was an Idiot.. he was on a crotch rocket leaned the bike down to far in the curve and lost it.. he hit the pavement so hard his helmet shattered.. ughhh and then wanted to get up with two broken shoulders and ride out of there..lol I told the guy he was nuts and wouldn't help him up I told him he needed not to move but he wouldn't listen..but his buddies got there and helped him. The did drive off with him in a car.. before the cops got there so never knew if he was really ok.. but he was delusional before he left, and the second one was on the Blue Ridge Parkway.. a guy just bought a new bike in which was a HUGE bike and looks like he gave it to much gas from the stop sign and went down in the grass on side of the road the guy was ok but called his bike a stupid bike..I though to myself.. ya mean stupid driver..(lucky he didn't go down the side of the mountain)...we helped them both and made me wonder if I should keep riding and thought to have my hubby go get the truck and load mine up.. but I got back on it and still love it..Guess it just shook me up a bit. I think if I would have seen one more accident I might have said that's enough.. needless to say after seeing that we went back to the campground and had a couple of beers.. I'm sure those won't be the last accidents I will ever see though.. just hopefully none that close again..

Anywho keep up the great conversations.. and I hope everyone as a very Merry Christmas!
Hey, it's hard to beat the Blue Ridge for some great rides!!

Re: "accidents", heard the other day that motorcycle accident rates, which were going down for awhile, are actually being driven up again by us older folks. Apparently many haven't been riding in years, then suddenly go out and buy some big cruiser like the one you saw wrecked in the grass. Just my opinion, but the Motorcycle Safety Course should probably be a nationwide requirement for getting a cycle license.

Speaking of "older folks".... hmm, it's gettin' chilly today, looks like time for the electric vest and heated grips!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Hey, it's hard to beat the Blue Ridge for some great rides!!

Re: "accidents", heard the other day that motorcycle accident rates, which were going down for awhile, are actually being driven up again by us older folks. Apparently many haven't been riding in years, then suddenly go out and buy some big cruiser like the one you saw wrecked in the grass. Just my opinion, but the Motorcycle Safety Course should probably be a nationwide requirement for getting a cycle license.

Speaking of "older folks".... hmm, it's gettin' chilly today, looks like time for the electric vest and heated grips!
Yes it is.. very beautiful ride when your riding on the back..lol since I drive I can't just look off the sides and see the beauty.. I tend to pay attention to my driving.. I guess once I get a lil more experience under mybelt I'll look off the sides a lil more..

Ya know come to think of it, both of those guys were older.. maybe 40ishes-50ishes
The one on the parkway told all of us..(btw it took 6 men to pick this bike up all the guys leg) he just bought the bike, traded a smaller bike just that week.. My guess is he should have rode this bigger bike a lil longer before deciding to take it out on a long trip at least to get use to its new adjustments..you know BIGGER more powerful bike vs Smaller bike..lol It looked like a GoldWing but BIGGER..I'm not exactly sure what it was..
The other guy on tail of the dragon was just being stupid.. he wasn't even wearing the proper gear for riding a crotch rocket...the guys that came looking for him said... his buddy was just behind him and when he rounded a curve then didn't see him when he started around the next curve... well I guess that's when the guy laid his bike down. when my hubby come around the curve (I was right behind him on my bike and another guy behind me..(we all had to slam the breaks in the curve .. the guys was still sliding down the road with bike on top of him. That was a bit scary only because we could have all ran over him and wrecked ourselves..

I do agree that if they haven't been riding in a while they should take the class..specially with all the traffic on the roads today..
I took it before I got my Motorcycle License.. and I'm glad I did. As for riding in the cold weather.. Our bikes sit in the warm garage.. I just don't like riding in the cold.. and hubby doesn't either and he has been riding for 30 some years and is from cold cold Nebraska..lol

Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The one on the parkway told all of us..(btw it took 6 men to pick this bike up all the guys leg) he just bought the bike, traded a smaller bike just that week.. My guess is he should have rode this bigger bike a lil longer before deciding to take it out on a long trip at least to get use to its new adjustments..you know BIGGER more powerful bike vs Smaller bike..lol It looked like a GoldWing but BIGGER..I'm not exactly sure what it was..
I hear 'ya, they just keep gettin' bigger and bigger, like Winnebagos on 2 wheels! Even the larger BMWs have become overweight now, and recently it took 3 of us just to pick up a friend's K1200LT. What you saw might have been one of these monsters (clockwise): the Triumph Rocket 3 (2300 cc's and currently the largest production bike made), the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000, or the Suzuki Boulevard:

Or maybe it was even this one!:

Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I'm glad this thread is still going. I've wondered why we don't have our own thread????? When I joined that was one of the things I looked for and was sort of surprised. I'm sure they is enough interest. Maybe they should try one...
The winter seems to looonnng without the bike to ride around on. I used to take the battery out and charge it. Now I just start it about every two weeks and if the drive is clear I run it around for a few minutes. I put stuff in the gas tank so it won't freeze. Mine is in a garage that is not heated but insulated so it doesn't freeze. I'm counting the days until spring!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 AM

Well I am glad I started it.. it has been an interesting thread.
I am waiting for spring to get here soon too.. but not sure I want it rushed since this past year has flown by.
I told my hubby the other day I am so ready to go camping and riding.. we bought a new Toy Hauler (35ft Wide Open) and was gone most of last summer camping.. lol I ready to do it again. Bike week comes up in May..ughhh cant wait. May is still so far away.

mateo45-I will ask my hubby what kind of bike that was on the parkway.. it could have been a new new gold wing.. they are much bigger than the one we had in 2001.

Here is a pic of our toy hauler and you can just see the bikes off to the right of the pic.. Also these pics that say killboy.com on them are photos of us from riding The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC... (318 Curves in 11 miles). These guys were distracting taking photos as you round the curve lol but at least we have proof we rode it.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of Motorcycle do you own?-dscf5567.jpg  

Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
I have a couple Beemers, an '86 BMW R80RT and a '99 R1100RT. The newer one naturally has plenty of power, comfort, and all the "bells & whistles" like heated grips, electrically adjustable windshield, ABS brakes, etc.

But I still hang onto the older one, partly out of sentimental value. And even though it's "older technology" and not as quick as the newer Beemer, it still runs well, and also has that old-fashioned "feel" of a more intimate connection between the rider, the machine, and the road. Also, unlike the newer machines, you're always aware there's a motor working right underneath you, and what it's doing while you ride.

So it's hard to explain, but I think maybe there's been some tradeoff with the newer technology bikes and the sort of "visceral" connection of their earlier, more "primitive" models.
^ Nice! I so need to get one.....actually, I just like riding on the back

Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well I am glad I started it.. it has been an interesting thread.
I am waiting for spring to get here soon too.. but not sure I want it rushed since this past year has flown by.
I told my hubby the other day I am so ready to go camping and riding.. we bought a new Toy Hauler (35ft Wide Open) and was gone most of last summer camping.. lol I ready to do it again. Bike week comes up in May..ughhh cant wait. May is still so far away.

mateo45-I will ask my hubby what kind of bike that was on the parkway.. it could have been a new new gold wing.. they are much bigger than the one we had in 2001.

Here is a pic of our toy hauler and you can just see the bikes off to the right of the pic.. Also these pics that say killboy.com on them are photos of us from riding The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC... (318 Curves in 11 miles). These guys were distracting taking photos as you round the curve lol but at least we have proof we rode it.
Hey, a couple of nice, comfortable lookin' rides, there "Wolfeyes"... and the combo trailer/toy hauler is such a cool idea too! What do y'all use to pull all that, including the bikes inside? Also, thanks for starting this thread, and as noted earlier, it is surprising there isn't a dedicated sub-forum for motorcycles here.

If I can briefly get "off-topic" for a moment, would be curious to know about other folks' attitudes re: the issue of "safety" and occasionally "pushing the envelope" in terms of sometimes riding a little (or alot) faster than usual, splitting lanes (if allowed locally), or just generally being in a hurry and taking advantage of the motorcycles speed, passing power, and increased ability to slip thru traffic.

Am usually a pretty cautious, longtime rider (especially with a passenger), but I sometimes find it's pretty hard not to take advantage of the added power and maneuverability that I normally wouldn't have when driving the car (like if I'm in a hurry!). And once in awhile, have also been known to occasionally "over-cook" a winding mountain turn or two... not good! Anybody else care to comment on how they juggle the issue of "risk" vs "safety" & "convenience" judgements when they're riding? Or do you think that it just comes with the territory, and that most motorcyclists do ride their bike a bit more "assertively" than they usually drive their car?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
I don't own a motorcycle, I have a Piaggio Fly 150 scooter instead. Part of the reason I have the Fly is that my physical disability keeps me from mounting a motorcycle.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Hey, a couple of nice, comfortable lookin' rides, there "Wolfeyes"... and the combo trailer/toy hauler is such a cool idea too! What do y'all use to pull all that, including the bikes inside? Also, thanks for starting this thread, and as noted earlier, it is surprising there isn't a dedicated sub-forum for motorcycles here.

If I can briefly get "off-topic" for a moment, would be curious to know about other folks' attitudes re: the issue of "safety" and occasionally "pushing the envelope" in terms of sometimes riding a little (or alot) faster than usual, splitting lanes (if allowed locally), or just generally being in a hurry and taking advantage of the motorcycles speed, passing power, and increased ability to slip thru traffic.

Am usually a pretty cautious, longtime rider (especially with a passenger), but I sometimes find it's pretty hard not to take advantage of the added power and maneuverability that I normally wouldn't have when driving the car (like if I'm in a hurry!). And once in awhile, have also been known to occasionally "over-cook" a winding mountain turn or two... not good! Anybody else care to comment on how they juggle the issue of "risk" vs "safety" & "convenience" judgements when they're riding? Or do you think that it just comes with the territory, and that most motorcyclists do ride their bike a bit more "assertively" than they usually drive their car?

Thanks...It pretty comfortable for a lil while then my butt and arms starts hurting after an hour or so..lol but I'd rather ride my own then ride on the back anymore.. it just seems uncomfortable not being able to control the bike myself and hope that some day Ill have that new chopper Ive already picked out.

We pull it with a Dodge RAM 2500 HEMI Heavy Duty.. for now..It pulls great until we go up Black Mountain then we kind of slow down to oh about 40mph..lol so were planning to buy a 3500 RAM diesel sometime in the near future..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles