Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

My husband has a very nice bike that is considered a "kit" because it is custom.

Does anyone know of an insurance carrier that will insure the bike for it's value? For theft or an accident.

We can only get coverage for the other parties (forget the term).

I googled it and can't tell which carriers are legit, and which are fly-by-night companies.

TIA!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Go with a Local, in-person, face-to-face insurance broker. You'll avoid the bad companies, have someone who can put eyes on the vehicle, receipts and work on getting it insured for the proper value. I do the opposite with my house, insurance companies want me to pay for replacement value, which they put 3 times higher than best case appraisal value ~ so we insure it for a set value that's a little higher than appraisal.

Odd-ball things like this are just much easier to convey in person. Plus, you end up with an advocate in the case of needing to make a claim.

And the 3 terms you need to know are

Liability ~ covers damage you do other others (person and property ~ usually required by law)
Comprehensive ~ covers Acts of God, vandalism, and other damage done to your property
Collision ~ covers any damage you do to your own vehicle (run it into the ditch after drinking on a pub run)

Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM

I haven't found anyone to do it, that's the problem.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Really, you don't have a dozen insurance agents in your town? Both my home town (8k pop) and current town (~12k pop) have more than you can shake a stick at....

Well, the companies that comes to mind as being more motorcycle oriented are Dairyland and Foremost, and USAA is top of the list when it comes to customer service. If they can't help, hopefully someone else will see this and offer some assistance.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:21 PM

Thanks, I love USAA.... I would have them insure everything if they would.... no bueno on bike though.

Never heard of the other companies, so I can give them a try.

And that's my WHOLE point.... we have a dozen who do no insure kit bikes. Sheesh.... why do you think I'm here??

Old 09-14-2016, 05:59 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,610,355 times
A quick GOOG search turned up several possibilites, though you may have already tried them:

The 3 Best Custom Motorcycle Insurance Companies of 2016 - Reviews.com

https://www.trustedchoice.com/motorc...ustom-chopper/

Custom Motorcycle Insurance - Fischer Specialty

The last one is familiar to me as a friend uses that company for his custom scoot...dunno what he pays.

I have 3 sleds, but all are old and my concern for them is considerably reduced, so I ride with decent coverage, but no fire/theft, and have a $2Mill umbrella on house, cars & scoots.
GL, mD

Old 09-14-2016, 10:01 AM

Thanks!! I'll give them a call.

I did try to put the custom bike under my homeowner's umbrella, they wouldn't either. Such a pain.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks!! I'll give them a call.

I did try to put the custom bike under my homeowner's umbrella, they wouldn't either. Such a pain.
You might also give Allstate a call, they insure custom bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles