Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times

Advertisements

How long (in miles or km) is the expected/average lifespan of one of these scooters? Take into account being purchased new, broken in properly according to manufacturer's recommendations, and being regularly serviced as recommended.

Would be used only for daily commute of approximately 10 miles each way, city driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
2-stroke engines can last a long time, keep good oil in it and you should have only gas, tires, and oil to buy, plus the occasional drive belt (if this is a typical belt-drive scooter) IIRC most of these are 2-stroke, if you are considering one that's a 4-stroke, you may need to adjust valves periodically, but they also last a long time.

Honestly I have never heard of anyone actually wearing a scooter engine out, and even if you do, they are very simple and cheap to rebuild.

In any case you'll save enough gas to pay for the scooter in a year or two (depending on what vehicle you are replacing as a commuter)

Would suggest taking an MSF or similar class if you are not an experinced motorcyclist, and get at least a proper jacket and full-face helmet, to manage the risk of riding this on the road with typical American drivers (inattentive, poor skills, etc. don't get me started on that..)

Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Thats one thing I love about Florida, I don't have to have a special license for a scooter. I have been thinking of getting one for short trips around town to save gas.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats one thing I love about Florida, I don't have to have a special license for a scooter. I have been thinking of getting one for short trips around town to save gas.
That's exactly what I'm planning on using it for. I don't want to buy a new vehicle in order to get increased gas mileage, because my pickup truck runs great and is paid off. But at only 20mpg I no longer desire to use it for a commuter. So I've been looking at the scooters that are the 40mph/80+mpg ones, and cost between $850-1000.

I'm just curious as to the lifespan because I want to run the numbers and see how long it will take me to break even on cost. I'm kinda OC that way

Mitch, great info. Thanks so much!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
That's exactly what I'm planning on using it for. I don't want to buy a new vehicle in order to get increased gas mileage, because my pickup truck runs great and is paid off. But at only 20mpg I no longer desire to use it for a commuter. So I've been looking at the scooters that are the 40mph/80+mpg ones, and cost between $850-1000.

I'm just curious as to the lifespan because I want to run the numbers and see how long it will take me to break even on cost. I'm kinda OC that way

Mitch, great info. Thanks so much!
My truck only gets 18 mpg, it costs me about 80 bucks to fill up. I want to get one and strap a milk crate on the back so I can use it to run out and grab a few things at the grocery store. I like to shop in bulk but there are things like fresh veg and milk that I can 't do that for. These things I could carry on a moped or scooter. I would LOVE to do that. I should start looking around for one. I keep thinking about it but haven't done anything about it.

What I would REALLY like is a pink Vespa, that would be so cool.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My truck only gets 18 mpg, it costs me about 80 bucks to fill up. I want to get one and strap a milk crate on the back so I can use it to run out and grab a few things at the grocery store. I like to shop in bulk but there are things like fresh veg and milk that I can 't do that for. These things I could carry on a moped or scooter. I would LOVE to do that. I should start looking around for one. I keep thinking about it but haven't done anything about it.

What I would REALLY like is a pink Vespa, that would be so cool.
Sadly, a real Vespa will cost you as much as a small car.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Look for used. Aprilia, Piaggio, Derbi and Vespa are all owned by the same company. Piaggio Group.

go to cycletrader.com and search around.

There are lots of deals to be had. The Chinese knock off ones are good for disposable, but a decent used scoot will only be 2-3K and likely outlast you. (if maintained properly)

Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Sadly, a real Vespa will cost you as much as a small car.
Yea, no kidding. I have seen how high even used ones cost.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Check your state laws in West Virginia the past a law any scooter UNDER 50cc does not need insurance or tags, but 50 and above does plus you need motorcycle licence!!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
One of the bosses at the building where I work is a frequent and long time scooter commuter. He rides a Honda Reflex 250cc, and has put over 50,000 miles on it with no breakdowns or problems. He takes care of all the regular maintenance and normal wear and tear items. He rides it many days a week year round. I know this is a bigger scooter than you are looking for, but just thought to pass along the info on this model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles