Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM

23 posts, read 24,987 times

Advertisements

Hey, I been to City-Data forum. Just posting for my first time ever in here. I am not sure if this is mis-categorized or not. But anyways, just wondering if WD-40 could be ok for my skateboard bearings. I don't think sports would be too much of a matching cateogry[if there is one] since thisn more about maintaining and cleaning a skateboard than about skateboarding itself. Anyhow, if they would ruin the bearings. What would be a better product to use? Simple Green? Armor All? Lysol? I don't have money/time to buy a specialized lube for them. Instead I am listing some other available products with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:26 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Friends don't let friends use WD-40 ~ it's some Nasty stuff (speaking as a mechanic) that people use WAY too much thanks to heavy advertising. It's been far surpassed by a TON of other products in the 64 years since it was created. In your case, it is Not the right tool, nor is anything else you mentioned according to this tutorial:

How to Clean Bearings | Lush Longboards UK

The problem with "don't have time/money" is that if you use the Wrong thing, you'll be spending less time ride and more money buying replacement bearings because you will destroy what you have now. If you can't do it right, then you will be FAR better served to not do it at all.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Friends don't let friends use WD-40 ~ it's some Nasty stuff (speaking as a mechanic) that people use WAY too much thanks to heavy advertising. It's been far surpassed by a TON of other products in the 64 years since it was created. In your case, it is Not the right tool, nor is anything else you mentioned according to this tutorial:

How to Clean Bearings | Lush Longboards UK

The problem with "don't have time/money" is that if you use the Wrong thing, you'll be spending less time ride and more money buying replacement bearings because you will destroy what you have now. If you can't do it right, then you will be FAR better served to not do it at all.
Car wash sopa and water better alternative then?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistet78 View Post
Car wash sopa and water better alternative then?
What are you trying to do? WD 40 is a desiccant, it dries out water. I use a little bit of lithium grease as lubrication for a couple light duty wheel bearings I have, like on a wheelbarrow.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What are you trying to do? WD 40 is a desiccant, it dries out water. I use a little bit of lithium grease as lubrication for a couple light duty wheel bearings I have, like on a wheelbarrow.
Trying to take some rust out basically.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM

Bumps allowed?

Anyhow I just started taking the wheels off like about 20 minutes ago, but still debating with myself what to use. I also have some CLR.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:20 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
That might work. You don't want to slop lube on.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That might work. You don't want to slop lube on.
CLR? Alright gonna start pouring some into my bucket.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
How did it go? Personally I wouldn't use CLR. I believe it's water based, and potentially a bit caustic. It might damage the bearings. Do you know what material they are? If the are ceramic, you might be fine with no lube. WD-40 would be fine as a solvent to flush dirt or old lube out of the bearings, but it's a pretty crappy lube. Personally I use Breakfree CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) in a lot of places. It does as the name says, cleans/flushes off dirt, provides limited corrosion protection and is a lubricant. When it dries out it leaves a light layer of teflon. A light oil or light grease might be better, but only if your bearings have decent seals, IMHO. It's made for firearms, but I use it as a motorcycle chain lube. It doesn't build up and collect grit like some chain lubes do.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's made for firearms, but I use it as a motorcycle chain lube. It doesn't build up and collect grit like some chain lubes do.
Now we can go a little further off topic... I also use gun-lubes in all sorts of places (door hinges were the most recent, I prefer Tetra-Gun as it penetrates into the pores of the metal and over-time will make any metal a "self lubricating), but motorcycle chains of the o/x/w-ring variant need an o-ring Conditioner. Something that keeps those little rubber seals intact so they keep the REAL chain lube in place. Anything that doesn't have that isn't doing the job that most needs to be done. Beyond that, a Penitrating and Cleaning item isn't the best idea, it can get past those o-rings and break down the captive lube which just shortens chain life.

Not that it matters to most people, they don't put the 20k miles on a bike/chain that it takes for one with Zero maintenance to break-down (though a larger section will see the ~10k there pad preventative can cause them to fail). I can read your reply already, you've been doing this for Years without issue... and I've been replacing hundreds of them a year for decades and have had discussions with manufacture reps and Other mechanics about this.

Last bit, I promise, but if you're just "spraying" the chain, you're putting on WAY too much. It only needs a drop on each o-ring. When you do it like that, there's no fling and no build-up/grit collection.

OP, hope your bearings turn out okay. At least they're fairly cheap to replace if not, not a horribly expensive lesson if things go sideways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles