Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

I'm really looking to extend my riding season. I live in the mountains of northern Idaho. Depending on the winter, my private road ices over in December, and doesn't melt until March. I've considered studding the tires on my Tiger, but can't convince myself that I want to give it a shot. Besides, I really don't want to slime it with de-icer.

So, I've been looking at a Ural for quite some time. They are a sidecar rig, with 2wd (sidecar wheel can be driven). They are badly outdated tech, based on a WWII era BMW design. They are slow. Not terrible reliable, but simple and cheap to repair. They have been calling to me for quite some time. Finally found a used Gear Up within a reasonable distance, heading over to look at it and homefully take it home over the weekend.

So, who's got one? Tell me some stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 04:49 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
I used to stud the tires on a BMW GS and had no trouble riding in Alaska all winter long. As a Tiger ride I do understand not wanting to get it crusty with road salt, but instead of a Urinal I be inclined to find a winter beater bike.

There were some guys in Anchorage who rode Urinals all winter, another guy who put a chair on a KLR. The state of MI won't let me stud up so I have PMS.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:19 AM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Check out this site:

Hacks | Adventure Rider

Also, Soviet Steeds.com

I've been riding sidecar rigs for several years. A sidecar is a completely different animal than a two wheeler. Check out all the posts about new riders on the ADV site. Lots of great info.

I really want to get a Ural but am still apprehensive about the sketchy reliability. I've read all the tails of guys riding them all over the world but there are just so many horror stories of blown up motors, gear boxes and final drives. Sure, they have a great warranty but that doesn't do you any good when you're broken down in the middle of nowhere. The dealer network is a bit light as well. Hard to find a dealer close by if you don't live near a major city.

They are very appealing though. The general consensus is to get 2007 or newer. New ones are fuel injected and have front Brembo brakes but at over $15K, a little pricey.

I have seen quite a few in the $10K range for a 2010 or there abouts. Still a lot of coin for spotty reliability. If I could get a newer one (2007 or up) for around $5K I'd probably pull the trigger. For now, I'll stick with my trusty Harley rig.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone ride a Ural (Sidecar rig)?-img_1319.jpg  

Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
1938 tech with a bit of modern stuff added. For the money why would you want to beat yourself up riding a bike in the snow?
From a test or two i read over the years they are kinda slow and not much on meeting modern highway speeds.For around town it would be cool though. Each to his own i guess.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I picked up a 2007 Ural "Gear Up" (2wd) a couple weeks ago. My driveway and county road are a sheet of ice, and will be for some time. The sidecar, plus 2wd, makes the Ural capable on this terrain. As far as the ride is concerned, it's what I expected from all the reading-slow, quirky due to the sidecar, all around pretty primitive tech. It's an air-cooled, push-rod twin, so naturally not exactly fast. Heck, it struggles to keep even a Harley in sight. But it does what I intended-extend my riding season! Put a few hundred miles on riding to work last week (got home around midnight with temps in the teens one night). I wouldn't own one for my only bike, but for extending the riding season, it's a fun ride. I had been going stir crazy with cabin fever-it felt great to get out and ride again. The vintage styling (and camo paint) draws a lot of attention.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:18 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I picked up a 2007 Ural "Gear Up" (2wd) a couple weeks ago. The vintage styling (and camo paint) draws a lot of attention.

UDL - Ural Delay Factor!

Actually, it applies to any sidecar rig, especially if you have a dog with you which is the reason I got a sidecar to begin with.

Get ready to start answering questions every time you stop for gas, a store or even sitting at a traffic light. People will want to take pictures, sit in it and of course, go for rides. I have people taking pictures as I ride down the road when my dog is with me wearing his "doggles".

How many miles on your rig? Did you find it locally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles