Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:46 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times

Advertisements

The guy who tripped you was a hole, no question about it.

Still, your move was decidedly weird. That was a very long distance for you to back up into the space you wanted. I agree with backing into parking spaces, but that isn't the way to do it. There was plenty of room to do a conventional back-in without pulling almost all the way into his spot and then back all the way across to get to your space.

And for those who wonder, backing into a parking space is safer because when you pull out you're going out head first, where you have more vision of the surroundings and more control of the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The guy who tripped you was a hole, no question about it.

Still, your move was decidedly weird. That was a very long distance for you to back up into the space you wanted. I agree with backing into parking spaces, but that isn't the way to do it. There was plenty of room to do a conventional back-in without pulling almost all the way into his spot and then back all the way across to get to your space.

And for those who wonder, backing into a parking space is safer because when you pull out you're going out head first, where you have more vision of the surroundings and more control of the vehicle
So backing in and pulling out is safer than pulling in and backing out? Seems to me you are backing in or out either way

Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
"Only cops and criminals back into parking spaces."
Hmmmm, so how do I figure out if I am a cop or criminal if I usually pull forward into spaces but sometimes back in if it is easier to do so?

Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So backing in and pulling out is safer than pulling in and backing out? Seems to me you are backing in or out either way

I would think backing into a parking space where you can see everything is safer then backing into traffic when you can't because parked cars are blocking your view on the sides.

Even without that just backing into traffic vs backing into a spot is more dangerous.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM

787 posts, read 643,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
He didn't park in the space with the motorcycle, he simply pulled into it to immediately pull out to back into the space across from it. Was there for maybe 2 seconds.

I don't get the reaction at all, if you didn't hit it, it shouldn't matter.

By the way, tripping you isn't passive aggressive. It's just aggressive and seems to have been totally uncalled for.
wow. If all he did was use it to backup and then move forward again, then that's really uncalled for. That's like me getting upset because you walked by my front door.

As far as the passive aggressive bit, to me it's passive aggressive in that it's at the bottom end on the scale of aggression, where i'm from, if you're going to put your hands on another man, throw a punch, tripping is for school children.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Backing in is safer, as you've already driven to the spot and are fully aware (or should be) of potential hazards before backing in. Also when you're most vulnerable (backing up) is being accomplished when there is no potential cross traffic.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
"Passive" Aggressive? How about full-on aggression?

No, it does not matter how close you came to his little pony. You didn't touch it.

As for him tripping you, I'm not sure why you didn't say anything.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, backing in is safer, when you have just arrive and have had a chance to survey the entire lot as you arrived. The only moment that the OP would have lost to opportunity to see the whole lot is while next to the truck - which from the video you can see was a very short time.

You know who is where and whether or not someone is about to get into their car and move. You also have more daylight than you would later if this was indeed after work. It is the perfect time to back in.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Please explain to me the need to back into parking spots? Why can't you pull into a spot normally like everyone else?
Why should he have to "explain" an everyday occurrence. Plenty of "normal" people back in - it happens all over the country every, every hour.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
I watched the video and don't think you did anything wrong. The only thing I can think of is while maybe from your angle it looked fine, but maybe from the bike owner's angle it looked like you were going to hit his bike? Still, that's no excuse for tripping you. That is a jerk move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles