Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 AM

628 posts, read 839,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Indian will be dead in 10 yrs.
So true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:50 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Be most excited about Indian. I am, though not *quite* enough to buy a Scout yet. I didn't get out enough on my regular bike this year, another would just sit. Nor did I buy a Buell, or Victory, when I had the chance. Buell had fascinating frames with 1960s tractor engines, which never really turned me on. That does not discount the resourcefulness of Eric Buell and his crew, though.

Indians seem to be modern tech on modern platforms. Most other industries, that would kick H-D very hard indeed much like JPN did to Chrysler back in the early 1980s. That would, however, assume a level playing field. I "think" Polaris and H-D in fact do have such a level playing field, making it all the more interesting. I wonder...Polaris and their Victory line could never seriously displace H-D., much as I wished they would. Just did not happen. But the Indian thing, going right at them literally toe-to-toe with tradition? That's ballsy.

Of course, another time H-D had something like that happen, they went to the Reagan Government and talked them into a "tariff" on all bikes over 700cc's due to what they claimed was "dumping" by JPN. Must have been 1983 or so. It was a big tariff, for a few years there 750s and bigger were extra-expensive and rare. Lot of 700s proliferated, however: I remember the Nighthawk S of that era being best of a bad lot by far. That was gone, but not forgotten, by what: guessing about '86. But don't underestimate the lobbying ability of backward, retrograde companies like H-D to get the government behind them if the chips are down. Politicians can and will do that, with success.
I just picked up a used Indian Roadmaster about a month ago. I like it-tons of cool convenience features and the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Power is, well, what it is-it's a cruiser after all. But very nice to jump on and ride several hundred miles and not feel exhausted at the end of the day. Best part-you don't see 25 of the same bike every day. Not to mention a bunch of features that you can't get (or pay a LOT extra for) on a HD.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
Why do you figure Indian will be dead in 10 years? The Scout Sixty is near the top of my list for next bike (along with the Iron 883). Every comparison review I've seen between those two has picked the Scout as the clearly superior choice. It has more power, rides smoother and has a more linear and robust powerband. The only area I would give the Iron the nod is in the looks department. However, now Indian has come out with the new Scout Bobber. It's a great looking bike, no doubt.

I'm also hoping Indian comes out with a standard or mid-control cruiser based on their flattrack FTR750 model.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Same reason Victory died. Because for people who drink the 'over priced American made cruisers and baggers kool-aid' there's Harley, and then there's everything else.

Indian will push the same bikes for the next 5 years and then sales numbers will fall off the cliff.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Same reason Victory died. Because for people who drink the 'over priced American made cruisers and baggers kool-aid' there's Harley, and then there's everything else.

Indian will push the same bikes for the next 5 years and then sales numbers will fall off the cliff.

What indication is there the smart phone/iPad generation drinks that same Kool-Aid?

Personally, I'd like to see HD do something completely over the top, like a V-8. What's more American than that?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 AM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
People keep saying this is an earth shattering change for Harley. To me they are just shuffling already existing bikes around. If they want to shock the world with drastic changes, how about they come out with some brand new bikes? Is that too much to expect?
They offer trikes now.......I thought that was drastic!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What indication is there the smart phone/iPad generation drinks that same Kool-Aid?

Personally, I'd like to see HD do something completely over the top, like a V-8. What's more American than that?

The IPad generation aren't going to buy nearly enough bikes to keep Indian profitable.

This is all just my opinion. But I honestly feel like I'm just reading the writing on the wall.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
The IPad generation aren't going to buy nearly enough bikes to keep Indian profitable.

This is all just my opinion. But I honestly feel like I'm just reading the writing on the wall.
I'm amazed from what I read and hear from friends with kids/grandkids by the lack of interest among many of that generation of even getting a driver's license. Who knows what the future is for any of the bike manufacturers?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
The next generation will be driven around by autonomous vehicles. Driving will soon be considered a lost art (think Demolition Man).

Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I cant understand why they dont try a V 4 cyl. The bike could have the same basic look, but much better performance than that stupid low performance V twin. Yamaha used to make one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles