Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 02:03 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yeah, there is a lot of truth to that. I don't have any bikes right now with all the goodies (just ABS). The most powerful bike I own is a Rocket III, and while it makes OK HP and good torque, the shear weight keeps it in check. I plan to add a KTM 1290 SA-R to the fleet in a couple months. 160hp, with all the rider aids, traction control, lean angle ABS. All in a bike designed to operate very well on dirt. Amazing what the industry is producing.
I might have to check out the 1290. Looking to replace a heavily modded DRZ400S. I had no idea adventure bikes had come so far. 160hp and a full suite of electronics, along with off-road capability, is amazing. I've had good luck with KTM dirt bikes (2004 525 EXC and a 2014 150SX), so I'm seriously intrigued by the 1290. I had no idea they were putting out that kind of power. All for around $20K. Seems like a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I might have to check out the 1290. Looking to replace a heavily modded DRZ400S. I had no idea adventure bikes had come so far. 160hp and a full suite of electronics, along with off-road capability, is amazing. I've had good luck with KTM dirt bikes (2004 525 EXC and a 2014 150SX), so I'm seriously intrigued by the 1290. I had no idea they were putting out that kind of power. All for around $20K. Seems like a great deal.
You can find leftover '17s for a tad over $15k (list is $18 IIRC). A bargain in that field. All the comfort features (cruise, heated grips and seat available), quick shifter, "blipper" bluetooth, etc, with that level of performance, plus a very good (WP) off road suspension. I'm excited about it. If you're into more dirt/single track focused bikes you might also be interested in the 690 as a dual sport. I have to say-it would be the smarter move for me-but still...160 hp! Buddy just got one (690), I only put a couple miles on it but it was nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0n6hks3AmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSXKplZDzRA

IMO, KTM has done an amazing job bringing technically sophisticated, innovative bikes to the market the last 10 years or so. Especially the last 5-they kept the good features of their earlier bikes but got rid of a lot of the quirks.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:59 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Another thing is service intervals on motorcycles haven't increased as a result in oil improvements. Unlike cars that have increased their service intervals. Honda is the longest at 8000 miles. Piaggio 6125 miles, everyone else 3500-4000 miles. Haven't engines and oils improved from the 1980s. Cars can go 7500 miles without an oil change. Even when running synthetic oil. Even with the advent of liquid cooled engines things haven't changed. It's business as usual at the motorcycle dealer.
I'm not sure what brands you're riding, but many, if not most are 7-9k. Both my Triumphs and a KTM I'm looking at are. Many new bikes have more oil capacity than a small car as well. My R3 is nearly 6 qts, Tiger is 4 1/2, Roadmaster is 5.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:38 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
No the importation of 2nd tier technology into the US and the lack of choices and crappy marketing are the reasons that the industry is tanking. I've been complaining to Honda USA, about their product selection for years and still no Silverwing replacement, most dealers don't stock all models so we have a few choices. The downturn is self inflicted. Don't bring in the product and customers can't see what is available.

Agreed about lack of choices out there. But that's more related to the economy going downhill after '08, and thus much less bikes being sold, without Harley Davidson being considered. There were some interesting bikes manufactured that just didn't sell. Honda VTX 1800, Yamaha Warrior, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I disagree. I'm a lifelong motorcyclist (45 years) and I can't remember that last time I saw a motorcycle advertisement/commercial in the non-enthusiast media. Portrayals of motorcycles in movies/television is generally negative. Between people on sport bikes stunting on public roads and giant herds of excessively loud Harley's poking along below the speed limit, we're our own worst enemy. We're perceived as either reckless hooligans or doddering geezers.

This is the era of specialization for motorcycles, for better or worse. In the past, a lot of bikes were UJMs, aka nakeds, aka standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
If H-D is showing commercials with craptastic 800 lb motorcycles that make 75hp and riders all covered with leather, they'd better reconsider what's upcoming demographically. Most of those old fellers will be dead at some point, what do kids today want.

The $25K price tag for Ducati Multistrada and BMW GS well-optioned doesn't help either, it's all guys like me in the 40s and 50s with money to spend. Millennials have *squat* to spend, people, hence car sales problems too.
I think the current time is the beginning of a long decline for HD. They'll always be around but they will sell much less bikes.

In addition to the cost of BMWs, they break down a lot. That's an issue once it goes off warranty. I'm not familiar with reliability of current Ducatis.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:00 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
In addition to the cost of BMWs, they break down a lot. That's an issue once it goes off warranty. I'm not familiar with reliability of current Ducatis.
Ducati isn't much better than BMW when it comes to reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvf_n9Q-S_k

I have a friend who bought a new Ducati 1299 Panigale S last summer. Even though his previous Ducati left him stranded on a very regular basis, he didn't hesitate to plop down $25K for the Panigale. His brand new $25K motorcycle has left him stranded multiple times and the dealer can't seem to fix it. He's now looking to get rid of it and get a Kawasaki ZX10R.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Legalize lane splitting/filtering in all 50 states and the motorcycle industry would be saved.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Legalize lane splitting/filtering in all 50 states and the motorcycle industry would be saved.

I don't know.. Can't imagine there are too many people who would ride, but choose not to because they're not allowed to lane split legally.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I don't know.. Can't imagine there are too many people who would ride, but choose not to because they're not allowed to lane split legally.
It would catapult the motorcycle to being the most efficient and effective commuting tool in every metropolitan area. People would quickly catch on and start riding as an alternative to sitting in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not sure what brands you're riding, but many, if not most are 7-9k. Both my Triumphs and a KTM I'm looking at are. Many new bikes have more oil capacity than a small car as well. My R3 is nearly 6 qts, Tiger is 4 1/2, Roadmaster is 5.
Thank You! I ride Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
Ducati - Making mechanics out of riders for generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles