Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 02:39 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Rion RE90

This 2 kWh scooter goes up to 100 mph but is limited to 80 mph for safety.

Rental scooters in Pittsburgh are limited to 15 mph. Class 3 ebikes are limited to 28 mph. I literall don't understand how it is legal to operate a standing scooter in CA at speeds up to 80 mph,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 02:48 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Rion RE90

Rental scooters in Pittsburgh are limited to 15 mph. Class 3 ebikes are limited to 28 mph. I literall don't understand how it is legal to operate a standing scooter in CA at speeds up to 80 mph,
Well... it likely isn't legal to operate them at that speed.
There is a difference between how fast they CAN go vs. how fast you are allowed to take them.

Really no different than cars. There are cars that can go way faster than the speed limit... but, obviously, it's not technically legal to do so.

Old 12-08-2022, 05:50 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Rion RE90

I'd pass on 80 mph on a scooter..........interesting to see how they do with a bump in the road and of course braking

Old 12-10-2022, 11:03 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
The Suzuki Bergman line of scooters can go fairly quickly.

I can't see standing on any platform at 80mph as being very stable, though.

Be like standing on the hood (bonnet) of an 80mph car...

Talk about vulnerable...

Old 12-12-2022, 02:16 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Rion RE90

As a lifelong motorcyclist, my thoughts on scooters are best captured by Ralph Nader's assessment of the Chevrolet Corvair. Unsafe at speed.

The small wheels are much, much more susceptible to falling into potholes, as well as causing general instability. I currently own a modified Yamaha R1M and a 2022 Kawasaki H2 SX and I feel much safer on either of these 200hp monsters than on the most benign scooter.

If safety is a concern, buy an actual motorcycle. Even 15 mph is too fast on a scooter.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:25 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
As a lifelong motorcyclist, my thoughts on scooters are best captured by Ralph Nader's assessment of the Chevrolet Corvair. Unsafe at speed.

The small wheels are much, much more susceptible to falling into potholes, as well as causing general instability. I currently own a modified Yamaha R1M and a 2022 Kawasaki H2 SX and I feel much safer on either of these 200hp monsters than on the most benign scooter.

If safety is a concern, buy an actual motorcycle. Even 15 mph is too fast on a scooter.
How do you like the "Big Bang" engine configuration? Do you find it easier to come off corners under power? (Without it wanting to "come around" on you?)

Old 12-13-2022, 06:46 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
How do you like the "Big Bang" engine configuration? Do you find it easier to come off corners under power? (Without it wanting to "come around" on you?)
Relative to my previous bikes of similar performance (GSX-R 1000, for example), its hard to say because the R1's electronics masks the engine's true character. My GSX-R, with similar weight and wheelbase, but no electronic nannies, was an absolute animal. It was terrifying, to be honest. I can ride the R1 harder and get on the gas sooner coming out of corners, but I think most of that is due to electronics, not engine configuration.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:08 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
With even a tiny pothole the rider will be doing a faceplant. I have holes on my street that those wee wheels would fall right into. Anything faster than running speed is going to be highly dangerous.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:15 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I saw one on a 35 mph road yesterday, guy had headlight/rear light and was wearing a full face helmet, knee pads/gloves/elbow pads so clearly he expects to fall at some point.

Biggest danger was he was tall and thin on the road, like you might not see him if he was in a blind spot. Not sure if his profile would get picked up by lane change technology either.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:40 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post

I wouldn't trust Nader's assessment of any motor vehicle given he doesn't drive and his book offered engineering assessments from people like traffic cops and when he attempted to diagram a swing axle (as also used by Porsche on the 356 at the time) 'tucking under' he conveniently neglected to mention that was only possible if a shock broke.

I used to see a Corvair Spyder convertible locally with the license plate: NADRSUX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles