Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times

Advertisements

hi all im looking for a bike that can keep up in traffic (around 70 mph) but also capable to hit colorado off road trails

any recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:35 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
First... there's a section for these kinds of questions... it's a sub-forum of this Auto. That's the right place to ask this kind of question.

Second, you only need about 30hp to break every speed limit in Colorado so long as you are smaller than 6'4" and 250lbs ~ I speak from direct experience. As for the "right" bike, it depends on your ratio of on-road vs off-road riding. Mostly on-road, you want something more friendly to that experience at the expense of off-road riding ~ these are "big pigs" like a BMW GS, Triumph Tiger. 50:50, you're more into things like the KLR650 and maybe the Vstrom 650. More off-road than highway and you're best served by converting a dirt bike into being road legal so you can get the light weight and better suspension needed.

Since you have to ask, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have very little (or no) experience with riding. If that's true, you very much want to dedicate about $2k of your budget to buying the best riding gear.... it's cheaper than a trip to the hospital and weeks of recovery... ankles being one of the most broken appendages, do NOT skimp on high quality boots. Then buy the cheapest bike you can find that runs/needs nothing. It'll probably be a KLR650, and there are a TON of people along the front range who know KLRs inside and out/can help you. Check on the different KLR forums, and ADVrider has a massive Rockies Regional forum too.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
First... there's a section for these kinds of questions... it's a sub-forum of this Auto. That's the right place to ask this kind of question.

Second, you only need about 30hp to break every speed limit in Colorado so long as you are smaller than 6'4" and 250lbs ~ I speak from direct experience. As for the "right" bike, it depends on your ratio of on-road vs off-road riding. Mostly on-road, you want something more friendly to that experience at the expense of off-road riding ~ these are "big pigs" like a BMW GS, Triumph Tiger. 50:50, you're more into things like the KLR650 and maybe the Vstrom 650. More off-road than highway and you're best served by converting a dirt bike into being road legal so you can get the light weight and better suspension needed.

Since you have to ask, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have very little (or no) experience with riding. If that's true, you very much want to dedicate about $2k of your budget to buying the best riding gear.... it's cheaper than a trip to the hospital and weeks of recovery... ankles being one of the most broken appendages, do NOT skimp on high quality boots. Then buy the cheapest bike you can find that runs/needs nothing. It'll probably be a KLR650, and there are a TON of people along the front range who know KLRs inside and out/can help you. Check on the different KLR forums, and ADVrider has a massive Rockies Regional forum too.
I apologize you can delete this if needed.

but, yes that is correct. I have no experience in motorcycles. obviously, I am slowly going to pace myself and learn offloading a bit, get the hang of riding in secluded parts of Colorado. The only experience I have a mountain biking and ATVing

Honestly, it will be 50 50. I will ride about 50 - 100 miles to get to some offroad trails (once I am comfortable)

its just to enjoy nature and go by myself to enjoy the outdoors. Maybe even fishing some lakes. My worry is stressing out the motor when im going 70 MPH for 2 hours straight (unless they can handle it)

But yes, ive heard KLR 650 and idea for what I want to do, which is 50 - 50 (cruising around old towns, and mountain passes and occasionally hitting legal dirt roads and country roads that involve rocks climbs drops etc)

Old 02-26-2018, 11:13 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
KLR. As complicated as an anvil, and twice as durable. There's no other recommendation that would make more sense.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:40 AM

608 posts, read 516,218 times
You might want to look into Suzuki's DR 650. Same displacement, but a bit lighter, and they are also known to be very durable motors. I haven't ridden either, but I'm pretty sure I would prefer the Dr 650. I miss dirt riding badly, but my current budget doesn't allow me to get back into it. One of these days.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:02 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Best bet-go over on advrider.com. TONS of information and lots of riders have asked the same question (including me).

My advice-don't worry about the perfect bike. As a new rider you don't know what type of "ADV" (adventure) riding you'll be drawn to. Will you want mostly to ride trails in woods/mountains, and just run enough pavement to get to the dirt? Will you commute or ride pavement regularly but still want to ride in the dirt on weekends? Take long trips on pavement but still have some dirt capability when you get where you're going? In general, everything that makes a good street bike, makes a bad dirt bike and vice versa. ADV bikes are about compromising some capabilities to strengthen others. Find something that fits the general requirements used and at a good price. As you figure out the type of riding you enjoy and learn more you will be able to refine the choice. You want to start with something you can sell and not lose a lot of money on.

You can't go wrong with a KLR, DR650, WR250R or DRZ400 as your first bike to sort out your desires. If you will be mostly street riding and forest service roads (as opposed to trails), I'd also look at a 650 V-Strom. One thing to keep in mind is that at the elevations of Colorado, you lose power pretty dramatically. The first 3 bikes mentioned don't start out with a lot in the first place. Add in 10,000 feet of elevation and steep grades and you won't be moving all that quickly. If you get hooked, the one thing you can count on is that your first ADV bike won't be your last.

If you get hooked on the dirt side and want a good suspension and power, odds are something orange will be in your future... Just plan on forking out some money when that happens.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:25 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Love the the big-brains here. Really. Though I'd not hack on the guy for asking a reasonable question...entirely reasonable, actually. Too bad he didn't mention a budget; when people don't I always assume they're not so stupid as to be "broke" or otherwise incapable of first buying excellent gear the same day they pickup a bike. That's the first thousand bucks. And/or retaining good instruction for proper offroading, though that's gravy and many are self-taught anyway. Riding busted-out, ancient trash up in the hills doesn't make any sense and fortunately I didn't seem much of it when I was riding dirt bikes 15 years ago here in WA.

KLR 650 is a winner, as is the DR. Both air-cooled, not sure what those guys have against water-cooled. Lot to be said for simplicity and humongous availability of support and parts, though! How about those Suzuki DR-Zs, water-cooled; my buddy Bill has two of them, modded to some extent, and rides from his home in Santa Barbara to some of the roads in the hills and mountains north of town. He doesn't go all that far up the goat trails, but the bike sort of tells you its limits.

So "personally" my idea of off-roading is Africa and bigger distances on gravel, which is a combo of on and off road, so I'd go with a big BMW. I own a Ducati Multistrada, but that's more on- that off-road. It is competent on the gravel btw though I have tires more street than dirt; invert that and they are a joy on gravel roads too. They'll go on smaller gravel trails though it's not a great idea and good luck getting out out of the mud. Bikes that big are a handful for 90% of riders, though. I'm a big, strong ogre riding 30 years with equally big budget, I guess. Just saying.

Well, end of the day, poster above may have nailed it: ADV forum, while bursting at the seams to the point they'd better start archiving, is literally the...last...word on Adventure Riding. I have met so many pals, and would not have gone on Africa trips without whom I met there, nor bought my two Ducatis and Triumph and gear and...do I need to keep going on. Wouldn't hurt OP to spend some quality time there.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:11 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Give the site AdventureRider ( Advrider ) a look. See what others are riding. You could spend hours on there and not look at everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles