Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

in Tucson a Scooter might do, but in rainy Portland, OR...to get 60 mpg, I'll stick with my $35 VW Rabbit diesel.

my bumper sticker...50 mpg since 1976... Where have you been ?? (no OPEC required... just French fries )

60 mpg will require 'coasting' and staying below 50 mph (scooter speed ) or... sticking the diesel in a Scirocco (~$200)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
Buy a name brand for sure. I have my third Honda scooter. I had a 150 and then a Helix that is a 250. I now have my second Honda Helix which is a 250 and get over 70 per gallon. I have never had a problem with any of my scooters. I am starting my third summer with this one and have 8500 miles on it. It will go 65, I don't go that fast but I can keep up with traffic if I need to. The center of gravity is low so you don't feel like you are holding it up when you stop. The seat is very comfortable also. I always, always wear a helmet and safety equipment.
It is worth taking a safely class and learn as much as you can. I always watch out for the cars and assume they don't see me.
I belong to a retired scooter group and all but one wears a helmet. One of the guys bought an off brand and when he was traveling once he could not find anyone who could fix it. At least with a name brand you know you can always get parts.
Good luck and be safe

Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I would need at least a 150cc on my daily commute. I don't have to take the interstate, but drive some sections of non-expressway roads that are 3 lane 55mph.

I pick my son up from after school care. How easy is it for an 8 year old to ride on the back of one of these through neighborhood streets?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 680,021 times
I was also thinking about getting one, I heard at least in Michigan they are for a Single Person no expections even if the manufacture says it can seat more.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Genuine scooters have a good reputation and a lot of die hard fans.
I believe the Stella's have 150cc engines? That should certainly be fine for city traffic. In California you need to have a 150 for the freeway, not sure of the law where you are. Depending on your size you will probably be able to get up to 60MPH or so. You will have to decide for yourself if you feel that is OK for the area you drive.
Scooters are known for being easy to ride since they tend to be smaller and lighter than motorcycles. Most are also automatics (I don't know about Stellas)
If you haven't ridden before you might want to take the MSF course first to make sure how you feel about 2 wheels. If you don't take it before you buy a scooter take it anyway as the training is very valuable.
Check your DMs for a message.
unless it has changed i think 250cc is the freeway rule.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I pick my son up from after school care. How easy is it for an 8 year old to ride on the back of one of these through neighborhood streets?
Someone I know grew up riding behind her mother on a scooter in a metropolis with very crazy drivers. She said it was so easy she could sleep on the back without fear of falling off.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
unless it has changed i think 250cc is the freeway rule.
Nope, nothing has changed, the law is 150cc minimum to ride on a freeway in California.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:05 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
whatever you buy - take a motorcycle safety class. You are much more volnerable on a bike/scooter. When riding, act as a car. Don't ride on the side of the road as cars will treat you as a bicycle and run you over. Wear safety gear - DOT approved helmet, gloves, leather/synthetic jacket and boots. No shorts. A t-shirt lasts about 10 feet when sliding across pavement.

In maine anything over 50cc is treated as a motorcycle and you will need a motorcycle endorsement. Check your state for details.

I am a motorcycle instructor. The more you know the better it will be.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Someone I know grew up riding behind her mother on a scooter in a metropolis with very crazy drivers. She said it was so easy she could sleep on the back without fear of falling off.
A caveat: Note the "GREW UP DOING IT" part of my statement. Maybe it's really tough for beginners. Maybe traffic patterns were different. The top speed in that city is about 30mph for any vehicle, due to congestion. I agree with the previous poster. Take a class, get your safety equipment. Practice a lot and be safe!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
whatever you buy - take a motorcycle safety class. You are much more volnerable on a bike/scooter. When riding, act as a car. Don't ride on the side of the road as cars will treat you as a bicycle and run you over. Wear safety gear - DOT approved helmet, gloves, leather/synthetic jacket and boots. No shorts. A t-shirt lasts about 10 feet when sliding across pavement.

In maine anything over 50cc is treated as a motorcycle and you will need a motorcycle endorsement. Check your state for details.

I am a motorcycle instructor. The more you know the better it will be.
So, to get a motorcycle license/endorsement, do you typically have to take a driving test on the scooter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles