Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a scooter to save on gas since I'm always driving to the complete opposite end of town (roughly a 45 min - hour drive). I like the Stella scooters and was wondering if anyone has an opinion about them.

Are they hard to drive? How much is insurance? Do they keep up in traffic? As much as I'd love to buy a hybrid vehicle, I don't want to have another car payment right now, so I thought this might be a good alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I know anything about the Stella. My daughter has been researching the Honda and Vespa Scooters. Here are the links;

Vespa Scooters

Honda Scooters - Honda Motor Scooter Info, Specs, Prices

Hopefully these links will help you in your search. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the links... I think we might stop by a local scooter shop too this weekend. It might sound vain, but the one thing I like about the Stella is the style - the look very retro.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
^^

make sure you buy proper gear too. Riding shoes, jacket, helmet and pants.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,443 times
Genuine scooters have a good reputation and a lot of die hard fans.
I believe the Stella's have 150cc engines? That should certainly be fine for city traffic. In California you need to have a 150 for the freeway, not sure of the law where you are. Depending on your size you will probably be able to get up to 60MPH or so. You will have to decide for yourself if you feel that is OK for the area you drive.
Scooters are known for being easy to ride since they tend to be smaller and lighter than motorcycles. Most are also automatics (I don't know about Stellas)
If you haven't ridden before you might want to take the MSF course first to make sure how you feel about 2 wheels. If you don't take it before you buy a scooter take it anyway as the training is very valuable.
Check your DMs for a message.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM

I don't think I'd want to drive it on the highway - that just seems a little scary. The Stella has a 150cc engine but it is a manual transmission. I think the site said it was a "twist grip" shifter. Doesn't sound like it would be too difficult.

A course might be a good idea too!

Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Get something that you will be able to get parts for. there are a number of chinese makers out there now and their stuff is cheap... but what happens when these break eventually. Is there a parts support?
I know honda has parts at least. We have a honda helix, automatic trans. You will love it. Just make sure to wear a helmet and watch out for the cagers! (car drivers)

Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
there are a number of chinese makers out there now and their stuff is cheap... but what happens when these break eventually. Is there a parts support?
Parts for the 139QMB 49cc and 157QMJ 150cc 4-stroke China scooter engines are available from eBay and numerous other online vendors. PartsForScooters is one resource . . Google the engine designations for others. "New To Scooters" thread. Definitely consider the importance of always wearing proper safety gear . .
video example.

Research the DMV website for your state . . many do not require registration or insurance for under 50cc and not over 30 mph scooters, only a regular drivers license.

Pep Boys Auto Parts sells (but does NOT service) assembled 49cc and 150cc scooters. Scooters ordered from online vendors are often damaged while in-transit.

For those that have the mechanical aptitude, some very good values for "deficient" China scooters can often be found on your regional craigslist > for sale > motorcycles/scooters . . potential issues.

Last edited by tortoise; 04-21-2008 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 22,058 times
Default Scooters

Buy One You Can Get Parts For, Such As A Yamaha Or Honda
If Not You Are Screwed If It Breaks Down.
Be Sure To Get A Good Lock!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM

212 posts, read 948,016 times
Default eGO Electric Scooter - no emissions!

How about an electric scooter - no emissions, no gas, just plug it in the socket at night! You can even get a little cart that attaches to the back for all your shopping.
Home: eGO Vehicles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles