Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

I might get flamed for this, but being a new rider, safety is my hugest concern. I know many motorcyclists end up in accidents, some small, some large, some fatal. in 2014, we had 90k+ injuries reported, and 4k fatal.

almost 100,000 accidents in one year. Cars now have 6 million accidents a year; of course, more cars in the road.

It makes me wonder though, for those motorcycle riders who were injured, if they would have been drivinng the speed limit, wear high vis gear, wear armor, slow down on ever dangerous intersection where cars make left, and be an owl for cars and act as NON will see you and ACT as cars will make a left turn in front of you, maybe even drive with LED spot lights in the front and high beams.

how much less of a number would that be? maybe even fatalities. there is no doubts motorcycles are attracted to the youth, and many of them do drive pretty crazy

This is what makes me wonder what is the true safety of a motorcycle? I was reading forums where pople crashed in cars many times but never in a motorcycle for 20+ years. I do know for sure I am able to see everything, but I do act as if every car on the road is going to pull out on me as if they dont see me, so I slow down at every intersection or potentially where cars can pull in front of me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM

17,270 posts, read 21,998,333 times
2 types of riders: those who have fallen and those that are going to!

What do they call motorcyclists in the ER?........Organ Donors....

Forget the statistics, motorcycles are dangerous. To me, I don't fear wrecking on my own but distracted drivers/texting is too rampant with very little penalty to them.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:27 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, first off Google the aptly-named Hurt Report.

Long story short, training is your friend. Not just the MSF course, but if you can get into a "Ride like a Cop" type class, I did one and it did wonders for me. Gear is your friend too, and obviously it only works if you wear it.

A bike does present some risks that a car does not. A guy who wrote a "Stayin' Safe" column for Rider magazine for years, and taught a safety course, was killed when he hit a deer somewhere on a coast-to-coast ride. If he was driving a car, he probably would not have been seriously injured.

I think you are on the right track with your attitude. Most people have the greatest risk of crashing in the first year of riding on the street.

I, personally, won't ride in an urban area, and I don't ride Interstates much, particularly not at night. This is about the other drivers on the road, not about my own abilities.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
2 types of riders: those who have fallen and those that are going to!
I dont believe this. I know a few people who drove 20+ years and never wrecked...unless you count offroad, then ya ha

Old 03-22-2018, 05:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
You forgot another factor which significantly increases your chance at being involved in a motorcycle accident, alcohol consumption. Unfortunately too many people drink and then ride. Alot of the people who do this are Harley riders who also don’t wear a helmet.....this is a fatal combination.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
You can be the safest driver in the world but its meaningless if some distracted car driver drives into you .

Old 03-22-2018, 06:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
I remember this article when I was in the military during the Iraq War...Marine motorcycle deaths top their Iraq combat fatalities - CNN.com

More Marines were killed in motorcycle accidents than in combat.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
More motorcycles in the world than cars.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:02 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
I might get flamed for this, but being a new rider, safety is my hugest concern. I know many motorcyclists end up in accidents, some small, some large, some fatal. in 2014, we had 90k+ injuries reported, and 4k fatal.

almost 100,000 accidents in one year. Cars now have 6 million accidents a year; of course, more cars in the road.

It makes me wonder though, for those motorcycle riders who were injured, if they would have been drivinng the speed limit, wear high vis gear, wear armor, slow down on ever dangerous intersection where cars make left, and be an owl for cars and act as NON will see you and ACT as cars will make a left turn in front of you, maybe even drive with LED spot lights in the front and high beams.

how much less of a number would that be? maybe even fatalities. there is no doubts motorcycles are attracted to the youth, and many of them do drive pretty crazy

This is what makes me wonder what is the true safety of a motorcycle? I was reading forums where pople crashed in cars many times but never in a motorcycle for 20+ years. I do know for sure I am able to see everything, but I do act as if every car on the road is going to pull out on me as if they dont see me, so I slow down at every intersection or potentially where cars can pull in front of me

If you want safety go for a diesel Excursion.......on bikes you better consider it like street combat if you want to survive. Go slow around town, go fast on the freeway always getting where you have good visibility. Out here in SoCal do the speed limit on a freeway and you'll be dead in a week. Expect no one to see you, or care if they do.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

Look up "The Hurt Study" (1981) and a more recent study done by the NHSTA on motorcycle safety:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/research/tf...mccs/links.cfm

Not much has changed in 35 years. Most accidents involved riders under the influence, lack of experience, operating an unfamiliar motorcycle, etc. If you're a sober, alert, and careful rider, your chances of getting injured/killed are pretty small.

I've been riding on the street since 1984. The vast majority of my riding has been on high-powered liter class sport bikes (currently a 2016 Yamaha R1M) commuting to/from work. I've had a couple of close calls, but have never crashed. Yes, there are things beyond your control as a rider, but the bottom line is that most "accidents" aren't accidents at all and are easily preventable. As my Dad used to say "The most dangerous part of a car is the nut behind the wheel".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles