Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:26 PM

608 posts, read 516,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I saw this Annette about an hour before she died on Ortega at the re-opening of a biker hangout. She was gorgeous and had spent a lot of time riding up there. She had been to some riding schools and sounded like she was proficient. In any case the word is she hit a corner down the hill at about 80mph and launched off the road and into a ravine where she died on impact.........motorcycles and airplanes are terribly unforgiving of mistakes........done both and both have come close to nailing me.......dumb luck got me out......
I didn't know her, but from the little I have read she did some track days and other rider training. Those things are good to do, but but when you get right down to it, no amount of training or experience can eliminate all human error. I find her death a bit more sad than some just because I was fortunate to have quite a few women as riding buddies over the years and everyone of them seemed to have some special quality about them, and they always made the ride more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I suspect there are several old time riders on here with 50+ years of riding and still walking around. I spent probably a good 30 years on the white line here in Kalee and survived the sure death sentence. Having said all this there are far too many guys dying on the freeways here today. Every day one or two in SoCal are being killed.

I've been riding since 1971. Got my street license in 1984. In the ensuing years of street riding, I've ridden liter class sport bikes almost exclusively and currently ride a Yamaha R1M. With well over 100K commuting miles, I've never suffered even a scratch - but I take driving/riding extremely seriously and am a very defensive driver. Inattentiveness will get you killed much more quickly on a motorcycle than in a car.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Sad, but either inexperienced or just plain stupid. I would rather look like a novice then to drop my bike hard enough to die. I also don't care what other riders think of me. If I feel it's too risky, I back off.

I think after 'wear the gear', the most important lesson a rider can learn is: Ride your own Ride!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Passenger cars kill more people than motorcycles. They kill pedestrians, bicyclist, motorcyclist, first responders and military personell too!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:42 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think after 'wear the gear', the most important lesson a rider can learn is: Ride your own Ride!

I agree. I can't believe how many people I see in only shorts and t-shirt. I have even seen a few in flip flops!

I think my gear looks super cool! And my boots rock!

Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
I agree. I can't believe how many people I see in only shorts and t-shirt. I have even seen a few in flip flops!
I live near the beach and sometimes marvel at the apparent 'indestructibles' riding in board shorts, flip-flops and the girl on the back in a bikini.

Quote:
I think my gear looks super cool! And my boots rock!

And even if a bit warm at times it's guaranteed to feel better than skin grafts.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
There is risk to be sure, and many cagers are brain-dead idiots that have no place behind the wheel. At the same time-in a lot of the MC fatalities the rider didn't react in a way to avoid the impact. First, far too many riders don't ride enough to gain the skills and make the control and reactions "automatic". Someone that only rides 2-3k miles a year never truly gets to be one with the machine. In the "left turn scenario" many riders don't swerve to avoid the car, don't brake properly to avoid the impact and have done nothing to prepare for the incident. See someone in the left turn lane? Get their attention-eye contact (usually not possible in today's tinted cars), flash your lights/wiggle the bars, anything to be noticed. Cover the brakes. Far too many incidents are one-vehicle crashes-the vast majority of which are due to inexperience or low skill. "Target fixation" gets far too many riders-either when they look at something they want to avoid and ride right into it-or go into a corner just a bit fast but well within the bike's limits and look off the curve and ride right off.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I've been riding since 1971. Got my street license in 1984. In the ensuing years of street riding, I've ridden liter class sport bikes almost exclusively and currently ride a Yamaha R1M. With well over 100K commuting miles, I've never suffered even a scratch - but I take driving/riding extremely seriously and am a very defensive driver. Inattentiveness will get you killed much more quickly on a motorcycle than in a car.

Couldn't agree more.......if you're in traffic and your brain is unlocked and you're mind is wandering sooner or later some yo-yo is going to kill you. FOCUS like a laser on the white line and around town, expect every car on a side street to pull out. NEVER sit in somebodies blind spot for more than a second on the freeway. Ride like CHP and keep moving thru traffic. You always want to be out front where you can see the tire treads, mattresses, and ladders of most freeways. Again FOCUS you don't get time off on the liter bikes that hit 120mph in a few seconds. If you don't want to get killed sitting at a light filter to the front, your odds are better in Kalee.

One last wild card that kills bikers in the hills are deer. You have to be crazy to ride those hills at night during mating season, the Bambi's are nuts and fast as lightning........and 200lbs of anything will wipe us out.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:49 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonrand View Post
I am waiting for a guy to show up today to buy my Dyna. I love riding but even in a car people will cut you off, cross 4 lanes to exit and drive like a douche nozzle. put in Deer, and wild hogs and I am out. I will miss it that is for sure.
I pretty much stopped riding in the city and around my house and really only ride if I'm going to take a scenic ride out of town.

Next time your driving in your car look around, it's fricking scary, literally 80% plus of people are staring down at their phones. Even before cellphones were as popular as they were now people drove like idiots, now they are idiots not even watching the road.

I can't ride to work without someone merging into my lane next to me, running a red, veering out of their lane. Now I'll drive out to the cornfields and ride around there or head out of Chicago and go to starved rock or something but screw riding in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles