Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM

779 posts, read 506,322 times

Advertisements

I like to have two bikes; a touring bike, and a city bike. My touring mount of choice is a BMW R1100RT, and my current city bike is a Honda Nighthawk 750. I'm replacing the Honda with an Aprilia Shiver 750, and have been able to get both bikes for less than $5k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 04:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
but... what happened to THIS choice? (in your initial sentence)
KTM690r Very different than a ninja.

I'm a THUMPER!!~!

I can tolerate it for Highways, but I don't enjoy highways on a MC (boring).

KTM690r

Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I figured that was a I may get that to do adventure riding and then want something suitable for cross-country touring. No way I want to go across several states on a 690r. No thank you. Most I've done was road around a barn a few times on a 500. If it's anything like that, I wouldn't even want to do a decent commute on it. Bit too much for my limited off-road abilities but I'm sure it's a great bike where it belongs.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 PM

9,508 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Of the bikes listed, MT-10. The rest are too slow.

Personally, I'd go for a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Thinking about selling my R1M and picking one up.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
but... what happened to THIS choice? (in your initial sentence)
KTM690r Very different than a ninja.

I'm a THUMPER!!~!

I can tolerate it for Highways, but I don't enjoy highways on a MC (boring).

KTM690r
I honestly was considering the cb500x for a ADV bike. But working full time, i only see I do local trails only lol. So that is why I think I am going to sell it and go for a ktm690r when I get better at forest trails in Colorado.

ive seen these bikes everywhere in colorado, must be for a reason!! that or a cheaper DR650.

ill never get rid of thumper lol. But as a daily driver, definitely want something different. I still dont know, but the Ninja650 KRT is such a pretty bike. Juts wonder what the power difference is on the ninja650 vs cb500x

Old 08-24-2018, 01:42 PM

779 posts, read 506,322 times
For touring, I consider the minimum to be 1000cc. For city bike, a 750 suits well. My Aprilia is a 750 V-twin that puts out 95hp.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:20 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I figured that was a I may get that to do adventure riding and then want something suitable for cross-country touring. No way I want to go across several states on a 690r. No thank you. Most I've done was road around a barn a few times on a 500. If it's anything like that, I wouldn't even want to do a decent commute on it. Bit too much for my limited off-road abilities but I'm sure it's a great bike where it belongs.
The thing about the 690R-it's so well done that it will make you look like a better rider than you are in the dirt. Great engine and transmission. A high-quality suspension (the most important aspect) that can take rough dirt roads far better than anything else in the "light adventure" class. Far, far above a KLR, DR650 or DRZ in this regard. Much more HP (pushing 70 if not a bit over on the last couple of years). Is it the bike for a cross-country interstate haul? No. Would I want to do a 500 mile day of backroads on it? Probably not (I have a 1290 SAR for that). But for more moderate distances and most people's commutes, it's a great bike. Biggest negative-price. It's a big single dual sport that costs more than many multi-cylinder road bikes. Usual story-no one bike excels at everything.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:24 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Of the bikes listed, MT-10. The rest are too slow.

Personally, I'd go for a KTM 1290 Super Duke GT. Thinking about selling my R1M and picking one up.
Amazing bike. I struggle with the rather I'd go with a SD GT or a Super Adventure S for a road oriented sport touring bike. The SAS would be more at home on rougher roads and the occasional gravel road should you want to explore, and not give up much on good roads. Absolutely love my Super Adventure R.

Above and beyond the performance and tech of the KTM 1290, I've been amazed at the mileage the beast returns. Even at speeds that put me solidly in the reckless driving range and a good bit of throttle play, it's never gotten less than 40 mpg. If I ride modestly and keep close to the speed limit, it's upper 40s. Far better than I expected when I got it a few weeks ago. It's also a great, high performance road bike that happens to be equally accomplished in the dirt. Only negative for some might be the seat height-it is up there-but something you get used to quickly.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 08-25-2018 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles