Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times

Advertisements

I am having late life crisis - I'm 61 and want to get a motorcycle as a beginner. I'm not looking for a pocket rocket, but something quick enough that will get me on a highway and be able keep up.

I'm 6'2" and prefer a bike that I can easily flat foot and is beginner friendly, something like a Honda Rebel.

Any suggests?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
The first 2 suggestions are ALWAYS:

Take a riding class ~ it's good enough to certify you can safely ride at 20mpg in an empty parking lot, but it's better than nothing.

Buy and wear head to toe protective gear ~ it's thousands cheaper than even a Minor injury. Sweat cleans up a whole lot easier than blood too.

Beyond that, at 6'2" (unless you're are ALL torso and have a 28" inseam), you'll flat foot pretty much every bike made. You mentioned the Honda Rebel, so you like cruisers, they're probably the 2nd best type of bike to learn on (a dual-sport being #1, those things are designed to take a drop, Expected to be on the ground). It's worth knowing that 30hp is enough to break every speed law in the country, and "more power" is (in my ~30 years of riding experience) never the best course to avoid trouble. Brakes area easily 80% the best course of action. But others don't agree and I am absolutely on the side of "more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow".

Are you planning on buying new or used?

If used, do you have a good mechanic lined up for a pre-purchase inspection?

Do you have a budget?

And dear lord, I hope 61 isn't "late life", I'm not terribly far from that age myself and certainly don't feel like I'm approaching "late life"....

Old 06-29-2018, 06:11 AM

I do plan on taking an MSF course very shortly and I have a long law enforcement career behind me so I'm going to be heavily into safety, but thank you for that advice.

I want to buy new, spend no more than $8K, if that's possible for what I want. I was looking at a Rebel type bike, because I do not want anything hat looks like a dirt bike or sport bike looking. I'd feel stupid on something like that. BTW, 32" inseam, but I'm not sure how high some of those seats are.

LOL, the "late life" was kid. I think I'm beyond a "mid-life crisis."

Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Since you're shopping new with a budget, just pick up a magazine (or a few ~ hit the library for back-issues) and look through their budget bike shoot-outs. Heck, if you have the time, simply drop in on different dealers and look around. I'm not a fan of cruisers as they give me Terrible back pain (slouched seating position), and vastly prefer the standard "sit up and beg" try riding position. It's similar to sitting up straight at a desk... but every body is built differently. There's no way anyone can help you with what you find appealing, that's simply looking through what's available and deciding for yourself.

If you don't know what brands to search/check out, you have 4 major Asian brands with Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha. American with Harley, Polaris, I think Victory is done now and then a bunch of "clones" (Indian and some others). Then the Euro offerings of Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Moto Guzzi, KTM and then they kinda trail off with different names but owned by one of these already listed. The Japanese offerings tend to be the cheapest, but all are equally reliable and capable. If you find that you like one of the Guzzi V7 lineup (right at the top of your budget), don't be afraid of the bike being more trouble than a Honda Rebel.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2018, 06:37 AM

Those Guzzi V7's look good.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Absolutely take a motorcycle safety class. You will not regret it. Also recommend reading "Motorcycling For Dummies" - a LOT of useful information for new and inexperienced cyclists. My first bike was a Kawasaki 750 (I'm 5'11, 180 pounds) and it was a great beginner's bike. Not too big, not too small but definitely had speed - a good overall cruiser. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
I know you want to get only a new one, but at that price point, you can open the possibilities of a lot more bikes that are used. And most of those are very low mileage in great shape. I am also partial to the Asian brands due to the proven reliability of them.

With your age, and background (I did 33 years), I would look more for the touring style for a better, more upright sitting position. Your back will thank you.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Take a class, get licensed, buy a scooter!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM

37 posts, read 40,027 times
I would not purchase new on a first bike. Get something used, learn on it, ding it, scratch it, drop it, figure out what you like and don't like. Then you'll have a much better idea of what suits you.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I am having late life crisis - I'm 61 and want to get a motorcycle as a beginner. I'm not looking for a pocket rocket, but something quick enough that will get me on a highway and be able keep up.
They're all fast. Even a little 750 cruiser will out accelerate 90% of the cars on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles