Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 01:55 PM

233 posts, read 418,117 times

Advertisements

I've found some websites lately where you can buy motorcycles that have been salvaged by their insurance company. Sometimes it's just a broken plastic piece or some scratches or something, no big deal, I can fix that. But, how would it work with insurance and getting it registered and everything? Is that a huge hassle? They sell these for almost nothing, so there has to be a reason for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 03:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Depends 100% on the insurance company and the state. Some insurance companies will not insure a totaled vehicle, those that will sell insurance, will only sell liability insurance (meaning no comprehensive or collision). Honestly, that's the easy part most of the time.

Getting the state registration is a bigger deal. Some flat out won't do it, a totaled vehicle (salvage title) may never be registered again within the state ~ even and including if you get a title from another state and try to come back. Most require some sort of inspection to demonstrate the road-worthiness of the vehicle, which is your cost (and done in different ways). Some don't care and will issue a plate to a salvage title. You need to check your specific state's DMV/MVA codes to see what they allow.

Generally speaking, they're not that good of a deal. Insanely hard to sell, not as cheap as they seem to be for the uninitiated, you spend more time wrenching than the hours needed to work to just buy something ready to ride, etc... There are always exceptions (making a franken bike for fun, track bike, something you know you will never sell).

Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,731 times
I wouldn't do it because until you get it inspected, you'll never know the real damage. Example being, when I wrecked my FZ6 awhile back, fair bit of cosmetic damage that would've been easy to fix but more importantly, the rear subframe was bent sideways when the bike landed. Personally, even after being fixed I don't think I'd ever want to ride it again. Too many variables. Plus like the previous poster said....registering and insuring something with a salvage title can be a real pain depending on where you live.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Only thing a cosmetically salvaged bike is good for is the track.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Or parts (to use/sell), or to ride around where you don't care about incurring additional damage, or... there have to be a thousand other reasons.

Remember, YOUR objections and limitations are not the same as everyone else. I've bought a few salvage bikes for engines and sold off the balance of parts for a small profit (including time spent), have a few customers who specifically requested "ugly" cheap bikes for commuting (less concern over damage, less risk of theft, lower financial risk if stolen ~ often lower than the insurance deductible). I know some people who've "bought back" their own damaged bike and continued riding it, or to part out and recoup the money they were out.

Rest assured, there are many more reasons than *just* a track bike.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Amen to that. And for that purpose, they are awesome. Crap aftermarket bodywork, and (these days) some sort of wrap would solve it right-quick, you could have a highly-functional late model race or track bike for a fraction of used w/proper papers.

Garbage in, garbage out: buy a salvage bike, race it (or track schools) a couple years, get rid of it when destroyed and reduced to parts.

I did that with a Ninja 600, long ago (Super Dinosaur class). Paid $300 for my first, same for second, I built one good bike out of both. Only competitive for awhile, still it was a hella bargain if you don't mind wrenching.

Probably wouldn't do-same for a street ride I wanted to register, though. False economy, usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles