Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times

Advertisements

Spent 38 years on the job and I have to say I looked forward to almost every ride, even in Kaleefornia. Have gone thru 40 bikes in that time, some great and some not but always entertaining, from single to six cylinder. To this day cars pretty much bore me, 3 exceptions.....my beloved 64 Belvedere with 383 and hurst 4 speed and a couple of corvettes. Now retired I'm still in a moto frame of mind with my current FJR and the F6B.....FJR will blow the doors off the F6B but can't compare to the boulevard ride on that big six with the tunes going. Anybody else with bikes in their dna ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:04 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
I've been known to ride now and then.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I used to ride my Harley to work.. it was 75 miles each way. I had a 4:10 am start time and got off at 12:40. I loved to find alternate ways to get home without using a freeway. I wasn’t ever in a rush to get home because almost everyone I knew was still working. No traffic in the am and not too heavy at 12:40 when I got off.
I had a economy car to drive when the weather wasn’t cooperating.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I used to ride my Harley to work.. it was 75 miles each way. I had a 4:10 am start time and got off at 12:40. I loved to find alternate ways to get home without using a freeway. I wasn’t ever in a rush to get home because almost everyone I knew was still working. No traffic in the am and not too heavy at 12:40 when I got off.
I had a economy car to drive when the weather wasn’t cooperating.

Cars are only for rainy days......

Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Cars are only for rainy days......
Hah! Real riders don't let a little rain stop them.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-27-2019, 09:38 AM

529 posts, read 491,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
SoCal freeway with rain and traffic? Paint me yeller...

Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM

529 posts, read 491,427 times
Before retirement, use to commute anywhere from 70 to 90 miles a day on my bike in SoCal. About the only thing that stopped me was when it was icy at the house. Now, I go on 200 mile fun rides several times a week on my Super Tenere. Great tool for both long distance, with bunch of dirt roads mixed in.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Well I didn’t want to show up for work looking like a drowned rat. Lol guys might not care, but I did. Sometimes it was really foggy at that time of the morning and I got plenty wet. Sometimes the fog was so thick that the only way to see the road was to look at the little reflectors that marked the lanes. It was like riding blind... you couldn’t see 10 feet in front of you at 55-65 MPH. I think I earned my “ real rider” creds

Old 02-27-2019, 10:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Anybody else with bikes in their dna ?
Likely most of us! (who are here)... Probably gonna watch "On-Any-Sunday' (again) this week just to stay in shape! Similar to reading gardening books all winter. (I do that too) (20F, snowing and 60mph wind at the moment)

Commuted for many yrs, but it was a LOT more fun as a kid! (Living in rural / Mtn Colorado). I had MC chains for snow. Had a 25 mile gravel road 'canyon' that lent itself real well to 'drifting'. (I have some Kenny Roberts XS-650s). Didn't spend much time going to class during High School. we met in the mornings at the MC parking lot and decided... 'Ride' or sleep-in-class... poof - we were GONE!

https://silodrome.com/king-kenny-rob...at-track-racer

Traffic and crowds I don't do well. (I live in a county with NO Stoplights!) My retirement criteria.

I have switchbacks and 9% grades ~5 miles from all (3) of my USA homes. So... I ride them daily when I feel like it (often).

I still ride my vintage racers that I have since licensed. Still lovin my Thumpers as a fun ride! I hope I never get too old to kick start them (no elect starts).

Have a few 'Trials' bikes for backyard adventure. (I live in the boonies, and have a dozer and trackhoe for 'landscaping / making interesting terrain, but VERY steep property (70 ft cliff to stream) so.. plenty of opportunity for fun and catastrophe. ) First broken Leg on my 60th BD (whoops).

Plan to do more MC in Europe, and a South American adventure (for several months) . Of course when living in Thailand... I am CC deprived, but scooters / 200cc gets my by.

My favorite is ADV, but for road rides... Snowy Range, Beartooth Highway (4x / yr) and Trail Ridge Road (nearly daily) during my serious years. Have done most of the CA and Left Coast rides. Will be keeping an ADV bike (vintage of course) near South Bay area for a few yrs during retirement. since age 49...

Spent a lot of time (racing / hill climbing) at Sturgis (long before the herds of Harley's showed up.)

Still do track days (vintage).

I like to SLIDE! "You are either MAKING dust... or Eating dust"

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
SoCal freeway with rain and traffic? Paint me yeller...
I used to lane-split up and down I-5 from Burbank to Culver City for a while on my RZ350. I'm surprised I'm still alive. Thankfully, it didn't rain very often. Got pinched between cars twice, however. Had to reach over and knock on some idiot's window to wake them the hell up once.

No more of that nonsense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles