Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
There are inertia automatically shifting bikes. They are kinda a gimmick that's gone out of style
There are electric shifting road bikes that can shift themselves. You'd know about them if you wanted one. I haven't seen any under $5000.
There are electric-assist bikes. They are the new big thing.

Your not finding any of these in a big box store.

A cruiser bike will have a chain guard. Some use belt drives instead of chains. I've seen ONE with a shaft drive. Really weird for a bike
There are (many) roadbikes with Di2, they are electronic shifting, but not automatic. Electric assist bikes typically have gears and merely assist the pedaling... still need to shift. There is only one or two mass market shaft drive bicycles, maybr just one, and one or two that do belt drives. They are not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Dont buy a bike from A Big Box store. They are thrown together and can actually be dangerous. If you decide to go that route, have some one that knows what they're doing, go over it and check it out. Craigslist always has excellent bikes, just a few years old from manufacturers that know how to build bikes, with parts available for repairs that sometimes you cant get for a box store bike.
The only thing I know that is hard to replace on box store bikes is the coil over air springs on full suspension bikes. Everything else is pretty standardized modern or old stuff; 1" and 1⅛" headsets, many are 1⅛" threadless, about two or three different seat post diameters normally your old 21cm through whatever you'd find on any modern 1⅛ threadless bike(34cm?). 20", 26", 29/700c wheels... some 27.5 because thats a thing now. Gripshifters and trigger shifters. Square taper and ashtabula cranks, side pull, disc, and linear pull("v brake") brake calipers. Center pull calipers for the back of some bmx bikes. Bolt mount rear derailures and on rare ocassion on still built old mtbs(Mostly Roadmasters); drop-out mounted derailures. Just about every single big box bike can be upgraded. I've made a few in to masterpieces(polished turds 10x better than they were), the last was a 90s Murray mtb; replaced the stamped steel side pull calipers with the forged ones from a hyper bmx bike, aluminum wheels, better thumbshifters, aluminum handlebars, vbrake levers, newer(but low end) rear derailure. I took that old 40lb mtb and made a decently performing, relaible, 38lb bike.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m not using my bicycle as a daily commuter so would the higher price from these specialty stores be worth the price over discount store price bicycles?

What separates most bikes is the components. A bike in the $300 to $400 range is going to give you average components suitable for the average rider.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Dont buy a bike from A Big Box store. They are thrown together and can actually be dangerous.

Most bikes are nearly assembled. You need to put on the front wheel, neck, bars, seat and make adjustments. They may be able to make them safe but they won't be making fine adjustments. On lower end bikes for example the rims are almost always out of true. If it's just little bit you don't worry about it but there is always a few that need adjusting. Assuming they can adjust the brakes correctly they are just going to leave the brakes wide. At a bike shop they will take the few seconds to turn a few spoke nipples to get the rim reasonably trued.

Quote:

with parts available for repairs that sometimes you cant get for a box store bike.
Parts are standardized. Any bike shop should be able to fix almost any bike unless it's very outdated rare part required. The real issue with very low end bikes is they are rarely worth putting parts into them unless it's something simple like a cable. Even putting new tires on an old cheap bicycle is questionable.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The only bike I destinctively remember being pretty much fully automatic was a brand called Land Rider from back in the mid 00s, on infomercials.

They had them back in the 80's, might of been Huffy's and some other brands but I'm not sure. They had weights on the spokes attached to springed lever that shifted a 3 speed hub. They worked well new, don't know how well they aged.

No idea what is available now but I will shortly. I used to be a bike mechanic 30 years ago and the place I worked at is owned by childhood friend. He wasn't into the bikes much after the mid 90's because he sold other things but he's going full scale back into it. I'm just doing it on the side at the moment but It's actually quite fun working on bikes after all the years.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We may be moving soon to an area where bicycle riding is a safe alternative. . If I do get a bicycle when we move it will be for riding in town for fun and relaxation.
Riding in a city and sharing the roadway with cars will not lead to fun and relaxing time IMO.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
I have two 60's model Schwinns that have semi-automatic rear hubs with two speeds. They have old fashion pedal brakes. You remember, push backward and the brake engages. Well on this you simply rock halfway back to the brake function and they shift to the next gear. They must be very sturdy, because they still work after all these years.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i9VrGVhnlg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles