U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 08:22 PM

334 posts, read 147,067 times

Advertisements

I do the wave. Also wave to road bikes and mountain bikers. Since I do those sports too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 PM

5,280 posts, read 2,156,304 times
No, you shouldn’t be shunned.

On busy roadways and such, neither I nor fellow riders have done the wave all that much. I think it’s just as respectful to not try to obligate someone in that kind of situation to return a wave when it isn’t safe to do so.

Haven’t ridden in about 8 years. But that was my take on it.

Keep the dirty side down, y’all.

Last edited by jcp123; 02-02-2021 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 09:14 PM

2,338 posts, read 779,632 times
The wave has a lot of unwritten rules.

My experience was that the wave was most commonly thrown or received best at lower speeds on undivided roads while riding the same make of motorcycle.

So if I was riding down highway 1 in the bay area, and I was on a Beemer, another Beemer rider would probably shoot me a wave while a HD rider would be 50/50 or less. If I was on my HD, then I always got a wave from them, but not the Beemer crowd. The ricers and crotch rockets never waved ever. If you didn't have knee pads, you weren't anything to them. Gold Wing riders are old farts trying to reconnect with the world after raising their kids and retiring so they wave frantically at everybody, all the time.

If I was alone outside Grand Junction Colorado or in the middle of New Mexico on some desolate highway, then just about every rider who came my way would throw down a wave or return it. It was a "hey, I'm way out here on 2 wheels too!" kind of thing.

In urban areas, no wave ever. Tons of bikes of all kinds. Lots of commuters. Nobody is going to wave. It is pointless.

Also, I rarely got waves from big groups of riders, ever. They are a rolling clique and act like it. I can't say I never got waves, but the odds were close to zero.

So the wave was more of a thing when single or small groups of people were out joy riding on lesser traveled roads where you didn't see a crap ton of bikes around. It took me a long time to get used to the "rules" of the wave, but I finally figured it out, even up to the point where I felt bad when I noticed someone giving the low wave out of the corner of my eye when he had just about past and there was no way he could see me return it. Oh well...

It is a complicated thing. A lot of riders don't even know about it and a lot of riders are picky who they wave too. Yes, the concept is basically "anybody not in a cage" but it doesn't work out that way in real life. The more riders, the more bikes, the more crowds, the more urban, the more unlike your bike is from theirs - that all impacts 'the wave'.

It is what it is.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:55 AM

863 posts, read 624,612 times
Had a mixed bag of wave backs or rather the two finger salute, whatever you call it from different riders when I rode my HD. Very few didn't wave back and that included multitide of riding platforms. I have always viewed it as a two-wheeled type of acknowledgement vs something brand specific. I do obviously see the difference in attitudes, etc. say from crotch rokets, HDs and similar and dual sports. Either way, isn't the point that we are all out there on two wheels dodging crazy traffic, shoddy roads at times, random deer and bugs, etc. just to enjoy some freedom?

Some people are just too stuck up to 'wave' back so F 'em. I draw a line at scooters though. Never wave at those guys! Haha

Old 02-05-2021, 09:35 AM

5,169 posts, read 5,314,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Gold Wing riders are old farts trying to reconnect with the world after raising their kids and retiring so they wave frantically at everybody, all the time.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:25 PM

454 posts, read 312,916 times
First time to this thread, I'm a very new biker and find this interesting. But please don't laugh at my post. I bought a 150cc scooter thinking I would just buzz around but found I've caught "the bug" of riding. My bike can go 55+ so I don't have issues riding up the canyons near my house to take in the scenery and enjoy "the ride" etc. But now I realize the scooter was just my "training wheels" and I need something more "legitimate" and eyeing the Honda touring bikes. Now back to my point of posting, as I have been riding around I have gotten the 2 finger low salute and I have to say it's made me happy to be "honorably noticed" even if I'm not on a "real bike". I'm 50 and never been on a bike in my life (before last year) so I really appreciate the encouragement. On the flip side I would wave but would feel like a total poser on a scooter, what do y'all think? Would I look silly waving on a scooter? And what's with not waving to harley's, I don't know the "rules" yet.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,685 posts, read 9,311,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
First time to this thread, I'm a very new biker and find this interesting. But please don't laugh at my post. I bought a 150cc scooter thinking I would just buzz around but found I've caught "the bug" of riding. My bike can go 55+ so I don't have issues riding up the canyons near my house to take in the scenery and enjoy "the ride" etc. But now I realize the scooter was just my "training wheels" and I need something more "legitimate" and eyeing the Honda touring bikes. Now back to my point of posting, as I have been riding around I have gotten the 2 finger low salute and I have to say it's made me happy to be "honorably noticed" even if I'm not on a "real bike". I'm 50 and never been on a bike in my life (before last year) so I really appreciate the encouragement. On the flip side I would wave but would feel like a total poser on a scooter, what do y'all think? Would I look silly waving on a scooter? And what's with not waving to harley's, I don't know the "rules" yet.
Welcome to the 'club', and actually starting out on a scooter or smaller bike is often a great way to learn, with less risk of getting 'in over your head', especially on many of the more powerful models these days. You mentioned a Honda touring bike, but that'll immediately be a much larger and heavier rig than you may be used to so soon. And have you already considered some of the other types of riding and bikes as well (cruiser, 'crotch rocket', sport/touring, 'dual-purpose', etc.)?

BTW, IMHO the whole 'wave' thang is often overblown, usually varies with the local 'culture', and it's mostly driven by the HD uber-'faithful'... aka, "thou shalt have no other brands before me!" Though for the rest of us, usually no big deal, and heck, I'll even wave at bicycles and mopeds!

Last edited by mateo45; 05-11-2021 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-03-2021, 02:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,570,515 times
Sometimes I even waive when I'm out on the bicycle.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 6,735,294 times
Throwing the cool dude 2 fingers down thing to kids on bikes or mopeds is the only time it's fun.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,685 posts, read 9,311,953 times
Longtime beemer guy, with a couple bikes, an ancient airhead and a much newer 'oilhead', and once used to 'wave' at pretty much everyone on 2-wheels (even mopeds... lol)! But recently retired to 'Harley Country' in NW AZ where it's almost like 'religion' here. And it's funny, the newer bike often gets a 'scowl' from the True Believers, while the old airhead usually receives a head nod of 'approval', and occasionally even a 'wave'... slyly shared between us heretics! ;-p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles