Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Yes, I’ve conjured up images of me riding the likes of a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone or a Royal Enfield or Triumph Bonneville or possibly an Indian Scout....but nope. At this point I think a Harley would better be able to scratch my motorcycle itch.
Cool. You're making an informed choice, and really that's the best you can do. Just don't overpay. That, and ride the wheels off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
To everyone’s point though, test riding these bikes before throwing down is a must. Online reviews and Youtube videos can only go so far right? Fortunately this won’t be a problem with there being several Harley-Davidson dealers in town eager to offer me a test ride. So yeah, I think that will be my next step before I make a purchase.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
" At this point I think a Harley would better be able to scratch my motorcycle itch.''

On a Harley. Its more like, your azz sore and your arms numb from the vibration. I mean that in the most positive way. I do like the new Moto Guzzi's. I didnt use to care for them.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 AM

I may sound like a hopeless romantic when I say this, but I feel like motorcycles encompass a cultural essence of their respective region...at least for the retro-style bikes. If my work ever took me to India I’d want to ride a Royal Enfield Classic or Bullet there. If I was in England, you’d find me sitting on a Triumph Bonneville. If I moved to Germany, you better believe I’d be riding a BMW R Nine T. In Italy I’d have to go with a Moto Guzzi. If I was in Japan I’d probably ride a souped up Honda Super Cub. And last but not least - if I was in China....meh I’d probably go with a bicycle.

So, since I’m in the US of A I figure the best way to sit on and feel a classic slice of Americana has to be on a Harley-Davidson...and yeah if I’m being honest it probably needs to be an air cooled Sportster.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
American too...

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-...8/scout-sixty/

Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
True. And as much as I like the Scout and Scout Bobber I just don’t think I could feel comfortable in that riding position. If Indian made something with a more standard upright position then I’d probably have to add it to the conversation. The FTR 1200 looks cool but it’s $13,500 in pure stock form. It also has a chain final drive. If possible I’d like a bike with a belt drive.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 04-17-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
suzuki m109r

triumph rocket

Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Never ridden the Street 750, but my ex had the Iron 883 that she had the engine swapped to the 1200 when she bought it. Boy was that a fun bike to ride. The only problem it had, was the small tank with the bigger engine. Prior to that, she had a regular Sportster 883, and for me, I found it a bit lacking in power for anyone over about 180 lbs.

Also look at the suspensions on them. I know the Iron suspension was a bit rough, and needed an aftermarket kit. I dreaded potholes when I was riding it.

I'm curious if the 1200 engine has evolved much over the years> Had a friend with a mid 90s Buehl, great looking bike, a lot of PM billet, and a blast to ride. My biggest complaint was just about the time you expected the engine to get up on the cams and go it was dead at ~ 5,000RPM .

Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
'' So, since I’m in the US of A I figure the best way to sit on and feel a classic slice of Americana has to be on a Harley-Davidson...and yeah if I’m being honest it probably needs to be an air cooled Sportster.''

Yea, and an older one, When they proudly used the term Made in America, a term you dont hear them say anymore.

" For years, Harley has used Showa-brand suspension components from Japan. Brake and clutch parts have come from Italy, wheels from Australia and electronics from across Asia." But that slice of Americana is only assembled here.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 AM

529 posts, read 490,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm curious if the 1200 engine has evolved much over the years> Had a friend with a mid 90s Buehl, great looking bike, a lot of PM billet, and a blast to ride. My biggest complaint was just about the time you expected the engine to get up on the cams and go it was dead at ~ 5,000RPM .
Haven't followed the Harley line for a time, but the Harley's are not really built for "speed". Most everything is low end torque, which is a good thing for heavy bikes. They are not looking for a high strung beast. The Harley Electra Glide I had, I put in different cams, that helped, but in those, you had to understand that if you help the low end, you lose some at the high end. I just wanted a better touring machine that performed well at highway speeds.

My Yamaha (Super Tenere), is the same, it starts pooping out above about 4,500 RPM, but is a torque monster under that. I do know, when I use to ride that Iron, you would be going a lot faster than you first thought you were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles