Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times

Advertisements

Good grief.

I had an aunt die in the shower, slipped and hit her head. Doesn't mean I've sworn off showering.

I've known more than a dozen people who've died in car crashes, MANY more than have died by motorcycle. I still drive.

I don't ride right now for only one reason, it's depressingly boring where I live. Less enjoyable than a trip to the dentist. If I ever get out of this situation, I'll absolutely ride again. Street, dirt, dual-sport ~ doesn't matter. Yes, there's a risk associated, and there are well known ways to mitigate that risk. Just like everything else in life.... I'd like to know how many of you "Never motorcycles!" people are overweight? You know that being overweight is the #1, #3, #7, and #9 out of the top 10 reasons for death in the US, right?

I've had a few nasty accidents.... the worst was being hit from behind on the interstate. $2,000 in protective gear trashed, but I walked away and needed nothing more than some over the counter meds for a week. It's hard to wear protective gear, but it does the job. It also helps to stay the heck away from urban areas... all of my 2-vehicle accidents were in urban areas, I'm struggling to think of any even close calls when in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Accidents happen all the time because someone made a mistake, criminally charging someone with homicide is a bit extreme.

Those incidence are not "accidents"-at best they are criminal negligence. You killed someone because you're stupid and not paying attention-you don't care about the lives of others-you should pay the price. It's no different than driving a car through a crowd of pedestrians. Think the Charlottesville driver-should he get off scot free over his "accident"?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Lost a friend 2 weeks from retirement
Stop riding ?
We talked more than once about it
Non negotiable issue

Old 06-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I did a proxy estimate once based on available information and estimated the "crotch rocket" death rate to be about 2% ANNUALLY and that's not separating out the really nutty ones from the ones that just like the fast bike. So, 100 guys with sport bikes this year is down to <90 in 5 years just due to accidents on those bikes.

I'm just stating a rough estimate. I've cited it before and the only criticism I've got from bikers is that it might be a little on the low side. There was an article 10 years or so ago about the marine corp looking to ban such bikes from young marines as they had a summer where they were losing more soldiers to motorcycles than in Iraq or Afghanistan.
The problem with sport bikes is that any kid with no experience or skills can go in and buy one by signing a piece of paper. Some of these bikes put out 200hp, have a 185mph top speed (more with restrictions removed) and are faster than most "supercars". And you can buy one for ~$14,000 or so. No inexperienced rider, especially a young one with a sense of immortality, should be on one. I don't agree with government intervention...but maybe some sort of graduated licensing is appropriate.

From what I've seen, a great deal of motorcycle accidents fall into two groups-young people with a sense of invulnerability on sport bikes (all too often wearing shorts and flip-flops)-and middle aged guys with no riding experience walking into the local Harley shop and buying a nearly 1/2 ton motorcycle...also with no riding experience. There's a saying..."$25,000 and 25 miles doesn't make you a biker".

Of course, there are groups like those in the OP that are taken out by a reckless, uncaring driver.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I've had a few nasty accidents.... the worst was being hit from behind on the interstate. $2,000 in protective gear trashed, but I walked away and needed nothing more than some over the counter meds for a week. It's hard to wear protective gear, but it does the job. It also helps to stay the heck away from urban areas... all of my 2-vehicle accidents were in urban areas, I'm struggling to think of any even close calls when in rural areas.
You must not live in areas with a lot of furbearing terrorists. I am very defensive on rural roads-ride as far from a treeline near the road as possible, constantly scan for critters, know enough that if there is one deer there are probably more, etc. In spite of that I tagged one a couple years ago on my Indian-a car was coming the opposite way and the headlights hurt my vision-didn't see him until he was a foot from the fender. Thankfully it was small and I didn't go down. I see deer on the road nearly every day-but with proper...attitude find that I can avoid them-if I can see them. I have also had issues with moose-had a couple try to run me down on my dirt driveway. And one foggy night while moving SLOWLY, I ended up in the middle of a herd of elk crossing the road.

Regarding vehicular traffic...I find that my "close call" incidents drop every year. Mostly because I have gotten better about avoiding getting into those situations. Don't ride next to a cage, flash lights to be seen at anyone in a left turn lane or side street, cover the brake when someone MIGHT do something stupid and be prepared to evade, pull between lanes at stop lights to avoid being crunched in a rear-ender, etc. A lot CAN be done...with experience and practice. Getting through the first couple of years is tough-I did go down a couple times, fortunately with no serious injuries.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I guess seven of them won’t be smacking off any more side mirrors.

And I hope the one who killed them won't be doing much of anything after his trial.

Last edited by burdell; 06-25-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Good grief.

I had an aunt die in the shower, slipped and hit her head. Doesn't mean I've sworn off showering.

I've known more than a dozen people who've died in car crashes, MANY more than have died by motorcycle. I still drive.

I don't ride right now for only one reason, it's depressingly boring where I live. Less enjoyable than a trip to the dentist. If I ever get out of this situation, I'll absolutely ride again. Street, dirt, dual-sport ~ doesn't matter. Yes, there's a risk associated, and there are well known ways to mitigate that risk. Just like everything else in life.... I'd like to know how many of you "Never motorcycles!" people are overweight? You know that being overweight is the #1, #3, #7, and #9 out of the top 10 reasons for death in the US, right?

Exactly! I rode for 40+ years, stopped mainly because I moved to the coastal plain where the roads are just too flat/straight to interes me, I have to make do with enjoying the ocean.

But when I was riding, my usual reply to those who'd mention some gnarly accident they'd heard about years ago was to say I had an Uncle who went to sleep one night and just never woke up, yet I continued to go to sleep every night.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I still ride but put limits on it. No riding at night, no alcohol, no riding in big cities, and not much over 60. Not after rain either.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 3,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I still ride but put limits on it. No riding at night, no alcohol, no riding in big cities, and not much over 60. Not after rain either.
What he said. Also, I avoid riding on freeways and when it's under 50 or over 80, but that's just because it stops being fun.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,027,847 times
Life is dangerous! I've been car less and have ridden Scooters for the past 14 years. No accidents. I keep a constant buffer between cars, and have had a close call, but no accidents with other vehicles. I also ride a bicycle around town. The big thing is to respect the bike, road, and other drivers. Since, I use my scooter/bicycle for commuting I have a different perspective from the weekend warrior. Live in Hope not fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles