Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 12:54 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed over the years with a few people is how stressed they get when they go boating or rafting. I've been around some people that seem to think putting a watercraft on the water is the most stressful thing they go through. The amount of screaming, yelling, and cussing that goes on when putting the watercraft onto the water is ridiculous. It's all fun and games when you are on the water but the second they're in sight of the shore when they're getting ready to leave the screaming, yelling, and cussing starts up again. What's up with that? I get it if people are running late and holding you up or people are being stupid or inconsiderate at a ramp but otherwise why the stress?

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a list of people I will not get on a watercraft with for this very reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:08 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I would chock it up to inexperience with docking, launching and retrieving. It can be a stressful time because you want to do it right and not damage the boat or make a fool of yourself. It starts with backing the trailer down the ramp. I used to go to a very busy ramp that attracted lots of watchers. There was one group that actually had cards like they do at the sporting matches and they would hold them up to score you. it was funny but I'm sure it was stressful for the guys that struggled.

I know a new captain that came in to the ramp too fast and bounced his new boat off the concrete hard enough it needed repairs.

I'd say that if people are getting stressed it is because they are getting outside their comfort zone and add in an inexperienced crew and it can get dodgy.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a list of people I will not get on a watercraft with for this very reason.

YES, Me Too

I always wondered why, especially growing up in MN

Old 08-11-2019, 03:00 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Dad told me once the2 best days you own a boat are the day you get it, and the day you get rid of it. People like that are one reason I no longer own a boat.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,164,385 times
Quote:
Something I've noticed over the years with a few people is how stressed they get when they go boating or rafting. I've been around some people that seem to think putting a watercraft on the water is the most stressful thing they go through. The amount of screaming, yelling, and cussing that goes on when putting the watercraft onto the water is ridiculous. It's all fun and games when you are on the water but the second they're in sight of the shore when they're getting ready to leave the screaming, yelling, and cussing starts up again. What's up with that? I get it if people are running late and holding you up or people are being stupid or inconsiderate at a ramp but otherwise why the stress?

Obviously you have never owned a small sailboat.....screaming and yelling in spades........LOL.....only two kinds of wind actually, dead calm and 30mph.......

Old 08-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Obviously you have never owned a small sailboat.....screaming and yelling in spades........LOL.....only two kinds of wind actually, dead calm and 30mph.......
Never owned a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Dad told me once the2 best days you own a boat are the day you get it, and the day you get rid of it. People like that are one reason I no longer own a boat.
I've heard that too. I've also boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would chock it up to inexperience with docking, launching and retrieving. It can be a stressful time because you want to do it right and not damage the boat or make a fool of yourself. It starts with backing the trailer down the ramp. I used to go to a very busy ramp that attracted lots of watchers. There was one group that actually had cards like they do at the sporting matches and they would hold them up to score you. it was funny but I'm sure it was stressful for the guys that struggled.

I know a new captain that came in to the ramp too fast and bounced his new boat off the concrete hard enough it needed repairs.

I'd say that if people are getting stressed it is because they are getting outside their comfort zone and add in an inexperienced crew and it can get dodgy.
I could understand this but I've seen people who have had a boat for a while get this stressed out.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,206 times
Buy inflatable.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Buy inflatable.
I've seen the same behavior with inflatable ones. There are some people I don't like to raft with because they get so impatient and cranky. Everyone at the ramp is stupid. When you put the raft in you'd better be one step ahead and as soon as you see the end destination you'd better be out of the water guiding it in. Once I got yelled at for not doing that when the water was obviously to deep to wade through. These same people are delightful once you're on the water.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,206 times
Quote:
I've seen the same behavior with inflatable ones. There are some people I don't like to raft with because they get so impatient and cranky. Everyone at the ramp is stupid. When you put the raft in you'd better be one step ahead and as soon as you see the end destination you'd better be out of the water guiding it in. Once I got yelled at for not doing that when the water was obviously to deep to wade through. These same people are delightful once you're on the water.
Wow. I never saw such a behavior. I guess I'm just lucky.
May be they are just childish, and that part is boring to them? You know, old mantra "are we there yet?".

Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Wow. I never saw such a behavior. I guess I'm just lucky.
May be they are just childish, and that part is boring to them? You know, old mantra "are we there yet?".
Immature certainly is accurate. It is wierd how they will have so much fun and be so easygoing once you're on the water. You can start having fun as soon as you push off from shore but by God the fun better stop as soon as you see your end destination. The only time I get impatient if when people are being inconsiderate at the ramp or people you are floating with are running late. Other than that, I think of it's that stressful you need to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles