Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 01:31 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

With apologies, here's an interjection by somebody (me) with zero experience in motorcycles, but a lifelong fascination. Specifically, my fascination has been with hard cornering at low speeds (below, say, 45 mph) and explosive low-end acceleration. By the latter I mean 60-foot times on the drag strip, on the order of 1.5s or less. In a street situation, it would be <1s to accelerate from say 15 mph to 30 mph, which is exactly what's needed to survive and thrive in heavy, brutally-competitive urban traffic. In other words, this has nothing to do with 150 mph screaming through the desert, but everything to so with explosive, on-demand low-end acceleration, together with elfin handling at low speeds. What are the options? is this the very opposite of the design-intent of a superbike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 02:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily'sShadow82 View Post
no it is a 2013. female owned.
$2300 for a 2013? That's pretty crazy. Please post the ad so I can buy it.

You won't find a working GSXR around here that new for less than double that.

Quote:
And also, I may be female, but I can ride. And I'd post a video so I can prove i can hang with the best of 'em.
Never said you couldn't ride... but it goes back to what someone else said about buying the bike that you need. I'd definitely say go for the GSXR 750 over the Busa. Hell I ride a GSXS 750 and it's all the bike I need... but then again, 90-100 mph is enough for me. No real interest in going much beyond that although I know the bike will do it.

I knew a couple guys that were all about the speed and both are dead now.

Ride safe out there.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:08 PM

34 posts, read 12,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
With apologies, here's an interjection by somebody (me) with zero experience in motorcycles, but a lifelong fascination. Specifically, my fascination has been with hard cornering at low speeds (below, say, 45 mph) and explosive low-end acceleration. By the latter I mean 60-foot times on the drag strip, on the order of 1.5s or less. In a street situation, it would be <1s to accelerate from say 15 mph to 30 mph, which is exactly what's needed to survive and thrive in heavy, brutally-competitive urban traffic. In other words, this has nothing to do with 150 mph screaming through the desert, but everything to so with explosive, on-demand low-end acceleration, together with elfin handling at low speeds. What are the options? is this the very opposite of the design-intent of a superbike?
I have experience with bikes. One of my previous ones was a 2006 Honda CBR 650 and it was my baby. I am into the superbike/street bike hype still.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
$2300 for a 2013? That's pretty crazy. Please post the ad so I can buy it.

You won't find a working GSXR around here that new for less than double that.

Never said you couldn't ride... but it goes back to what someone else said about buying the bike that you need. I'd definitely say go for the GSXR 750 over the Busa. Hell I ride a GSXS 750 and it's all the bike I need... but then again, 90-100 mph is enough for me. No real interest in going much beyond that although I know the bike will do it.

I knew a couple guys that were all about the speed and both are dead now.

Ride safe out there.
Oh I have every intent on riding safely. I like the busa for their overall handling and looks but I'm not against some thing slower. not like i need to go 300 mph everywhere, lol

Old 11-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Oh I have every intent on riding safely. I like the busa for their overall handling and looks but I'm not against some thing slower. not like i need to go 300 mph everywhere, lol
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8436132951389/

Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 AM

1,361 posts, read 552,314 times
Quote:
I see a 1997 with 25k miles for $2300 not a 2013 which makes a lot more sense.

Pretty bike... high miles.

That's why I bought a new bike. I looked into used bikes but as said people want an arm and a leg for them (around here anyway) and I just didn't see a point in paying $6000 for a used bike when I could pay $7500 and get a brand new one which is exactly what I did.

The peace of mind of knowing everything that has been done to the bike as far as maintenance and overall care was worth it to me.

If you're on a budget though it's a different story obviously.

Let us know what you end up going with.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

I'm attempting to understand your post/question and failing. You're mixing things.. hard cornering (racing situations) don't happen on the street unless you like sliding along the ground. Similarly, the "explosive low-end acceleration", if abused, will just spin the rear wheel out from under the bike and away you go with a slide again. So those are both handled by the on-board computer (your head, though some newer bikes have some electronic aids to assist those with malfunctioning main computers).

Now, none of that has anything to do with surviving urban traffic. You can do that with the lowest-powered bike out there for sale. Again, that (surviving urban traffic) is 100% the job of the on-board computer, analyzing the situation and making appropriate adjustments. And even that isn't enough all the time, which is why you *MUST* wear gear (or have medical staff on-calll and be willing to deal with weeks/months of recoup).

For reference, I spent 4 years in Washington DC on motorcycles-only. For awhile (~8 months) I was relegated to a 17hp dualsport motorcycle thanks to forgetting a rag on the chain of my prior main bike (tangled in the front sprocket and cracked the case, no money to repair or replace for those 8 months). I was commuting from the north side of the metro area to the south side, mostly on freeways but with a fair bit of side-streets too. Never had an accident with that bike, avoided a few (99% resolved with the brakes, which is true of my overall riding experience) and the last were mostly made up of watching my 6 with mirrors and moving out of the way when someone decided not to stop.

You simply do *NOT* ride hard/aggressively in dense traffic if you want to do it for any length of time. Thus, ANY motorcycle that can be legally plated will have all that's necessary to survive and thrive in urban traffic. You can stack the deck a little, making sure the tires are top notch, brakes are up to the task (and you, as a rider, are capable of using those to the fullest ~ which is the biggest variable). I like bikes with wider bars as you get more leverage for faster turning transitions, and like bikes where you "sit up and beg" so you can see over the lions share of traffic (to watch what's ahead and make your plans of escape). If you're rarely going over 65mph, a single-cylinder bike will have the best low-RPM torque (for "squirting" away from things), else a twin cylinder offers the best low-rpm torque AND freeway speeds capability. The super-sport repli-racers all develop their incredible horespower through big RPM which isn't really ideal for under 45mph traffic situations.

Keep in mind that this is all theoretical "best/worst", a good rider will know how to make the most out of what they have and most of my urban commuting was on a barely street legal repli-racer sportbike. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I see that I made it harder than it needed to be, but I certainly made it work.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
I see a 1997 with 25k miles for $2300 not a 2013 which makes a lot more sense.

Pretty bike... high miles.

That's why I bought a new bike. I looked into used bikes but as said people want an arm and a leg for them (around here anyway) and I just didn't see a point in paying $6000 for a used bike when I could pay $7500 and get a brand new one which is exactly what I did.

The peace of mind of knowing everything that has been done to the bike as far as maintenance and overall care was worth it to me.

If you're on a budget though it's a different story obviously.

Let us know what you end up going with.
so I have a guy gonna trade me my dirt bike and fourwheeler for a Suzuki GS500F. that's the winner this go round

Old 11-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm attempting to understand your post/question and failing. You're mixing things.. hard cornering (racing situations) don't happen on the street unless you like sliding along the ground. Similarly, the "explosive low-end acceleration", if abused, will just spin the rear wheel out from under the bike and away you go with a slide again. So those are both handled by the on-board computer (your head, though some newer bikes have some electronic aids to assist those with malfunctioning main computers).

Now, none of that has anything to do with surviving urban traffic. You can do that with the lowest-powered bike out there for sale. Again, that (surviving urban traffic) is 100% the job of the on-board computer, analyzing the situation and making appropriate adjustments. And even that isn't enough all the time, which is why you *MUST* wear gear (or have medical staff on-calll and be willing to deal with weeks/months of recoup).

For reference, I spent 4 years in Washington DC on motorcycles-only. For awhile (~8 months) I was relegated to a 17hp dualsport motorcycle thanks to forgetting a rag on the chain of my prior main bike (tangled in the front sprocket and cracked the case, no money to repair or replace for those 8 months). I was commuting from the north side of the metro area to the south side, mostly on freeways but with a fair bit of side-streets too. Never had an accident with that bike, avoided a few (99% resolved with the brakes, which is true of my overall riding experience) and the last were mostly made up of watching my 6 with mirrors and moving out of the way when someone decided not to stop.

You simply do *NOT* ride hard/aggressively in dense traffic if you want to do it for any length of time. Thus, ANY motorcycle that can be legally plated will have all that's necessary to survive and thrive in urban traffic. You can stack the deck a little, making sure the tires are top notch, brakes are up to the task (and you, as a rider, are capable of using those to the fullest ~ which is the biggest variable). I like bikes with wider bars as you get more leverage for faster turning transitions, and like bikes where you "sit up and beg" so you can see over the lions share of traffic (to watch what's ahead and make your plans of escape). If you're rarely going over 65mph, a single-cylinder bike will have the best low-RPM torque (for "squirting" away from things), else a twin cylinder offers the best low-rpm torque AND freeway speeds capability. The super-sport repli-racers all develop their incredible horespower through big RPM which isn't really ideal for under 45mph traffic situations.

Keep in mind that this is all theoretical "best/worst", a good rider will know how to make the most out of what they have and most of my urban commuting was on a barely street legal repli-racer sportbike. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I see that I made it harder than it needed to be, but I certainly made it work.
that's very true. I found a winner I think tho. for this go round, I'll be getting a Suzuki GS500F for now. bigger bike later down the road

Old 11-12-2019, 06:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
No, seriously, they are Very boring to ride once you get past the "whee, go fast!" thing. Horrible to commute on due to the terrible ergonomics and insanely short turning radius (that makes navigating slow speed turns, like parking lots, an Austin Powers moment). No storage, no weather protection, fragile cosmetic bits that will total a bike if you try to go the insurance route after a small "opps" moment. I'm not sure there are a worse group of bikes you can buy when it comes to daily riding/commuting.
Agreed. My suggestion? Suzuki SV650!!! All time favorite street bike. I commuted in Phoenix traffic on mine for a couple of years. Love the way it zipped in and out of traffic with the instantaneous power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles