Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimeo View Post
Twice the money and the weight...you might wanna rethink the whole harley pushin thing... Just sayin!
This thread is over 3 years old. I would imagine the OP has made their decision a long time ago.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I think particular models and their characteristics, as well the general type of bike one is looking for and his priorities, are more important than the name on the tank.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
What do Harleys and German Sepherds have in common? They both like riding in the back of pickups.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What do Harleys and German Sepherds have in common? They both like riding in the back of pickups.
That's insulting...

Most Harleys are way too heavy to be put in the back of a truck.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 19,743 times
Default Roll a fatty

Undeniable fact: According to many, the fat, rear tire on a Vic makes it a lot harder to steer when negotiating turns. There are plenty of testimonies online that will validate that statement. That type of negative characteristic is something to keep in mind for those who are safety concious. when it comes to leaning a Vic through a turn some riders actually describe the act of turning a Vic as a "fight" or "challenging". I have yet to ride a Victory. They're on my fave list - I'm considering buying one (Triumph's Thunderbird is a nice machine, too - as is Honda's Stateline and ditto for the Sabre - one reason is because all 3 offer the safety concious rider ABS brakes - the Victory design team is failing us and not doing all they can because they don't offer ABS brakes on their 2010/2011 Jackpot, Vegas or Kingpin when in fact they should offer an ABS system on all 3 units - at this point in time, to not do so, is utterly ridiculous - especially to those of us who have witnessed an ABS laden bike perform a panic stop).

Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM

A skillful rider on a non-ABS bike can sometimes achieve a shorter stop. I wouldn't mind having it, but I can do without it. I have for 40+ years of riding. I agree about the wide rear tires; they are a styling exercise, but Victory isn't the only marque using them. I prefer sport-touring and adventure-touring bikes anyway.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Default ABS power - power you can count on all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
A skillful rider on a non-ABS bike can sometimes achieve a shorter stop.
At 10 mph but not at freeway speed. I think the keyword in your statement - a bad, pitiful and scary keyword - is the word 'sometimes'

On a bike you don't want your safety equipment to work 'sometimes'. That's obtuse. It's obtuse because a riders objective is to stay out of the hospital so they can get around without the aid of a wheelchair, so they can watch TV, fornicate without physical restriction, and then hop on their bike to go for a ride.

You want a bikes safety components, in this case the brakes, to work 'all the time' as opposed to 'sometimes'. Especially during a super high intense, life or death, white knuckle panic stop.

Sorta like condoms. Men, and women, want condoms that work all the time. And not 'sometimes'.

Victory....are you paying attention up there in Minnesota? If you, Victory, don't put ABS brakes on the Kingpin 8-Ball in 2013 then, no problem, I'll buy another brand.

sometimes=russianroulette

Last edited by 1%er; 11-01-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM

That was a fairly insulting post, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it. 'Sometimes' doesn't mean the non-ABS brakes don't work at all if the ABS bike stops a few feet shorter. And yes, 'sometimes' the non-ABS bike stops shorter from 60 mph in experienced hands. It depends on the bike in question and the ABS system (they aren't all alike).

Think whatever you like. You will anyway.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Pro/Con

Catman made some good points in his post, points that should be taken into consideration for anyone who places a high priority on safety (as I tend to do). <br><br> In an earlier post I made statements that indicated that I was 100% in favor of ABS brakes. I have since read several testimonies where there may (or may not) be a plausible argument for opting for disc brakes over ABS brakes when purchasing a new ride. The reader will have to make up their own mind on the pros and cons. You should know that Harley's least expensive model (aside from the Sportster) is the Dyna Bob which, as noted in HD's brochure, is listed at $12,999. HD offers the buyer the option of ABS brakes for the Dyna Bob. Thank you, Harley Davidson! <br><br> Also, yesterday I went to a Victory dealer. And for the very first time I sat on a Victory. I sat on the Kingpin, the High-Ball and the Vegas. And I love the way they felt in the saddle. I think all 3 look great. That was the first time that I ever got a really good look at a Victory. I would not mind owning a Victory, in fact I'd love to own one. But as mentioned, unfortunately there's only one Vic that comes with ABS brakes and that's their touring model. Check out the videos below. They pertain to ABS brakes.
ABS vs. No ABS - YouTube
Motorcycle Safety Tips on using ABS Brakes by Jerry &quot;Motorman&quot; Palladino - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,688 times
@car54.....you cant even spell Victory...and you will be pushing your Harley while the Victory passes you by....typical for a Harley rider wearing blinders. Everyone else....Victory Motorcycles are better made than Harley. You wont need to have a dealer nearby because you WONT break down. That's the Harley mentality kicking in....what if I break down....You wont! We have 3 Victory's. Test drove all bike...Harley included. Victory is a much smoother, faster, prettier and roomier bike all around. Oh it is totally american made (unlike Harley) and the price is right! Test rides available all the time. Oh, and if you own a Victory, Heads WILL turn....otherwise, it's just another Harley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles