U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:18 PM

4,729 posts, read 1,340,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I learned to sail on a Windmill 16, a small wooden racer, with no engine. One thing it taught me was to plan ahead. Don't go down that channel 'cause it will be very difficult to sail out of it.
To be the most in-tune with the feel/manueverability of the boat while learning, most 'trainers' have tiller steering and cleats (decreased force on the sails vs. winches), which is another reason a small sailboat is ideal along with capsize practice/recovery. A rotomolded boat is considered (more) optimal (than wood or fiberglass) by many instructors due to its durability/potential damage relative to (and expected from) a beginner. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 04:13 PM

335 posts, read 125,883 times
I've sailed with some guys who's first sailboat was a 30 or 40 footer. They were almost all not very good sailors with little feel for what the boat, wind and water are doing.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:35 PM

12,934 posts, read 6,451,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
I've sailed with some guys who's first sailboat was a 30 or 40 footer. They were almost all not very good sailors with little feel for what the boat, wind and water are doing.
Reminds me of a conversation my opinionated, no-auxiliary motor, sailor dad had with the proud first time owner of a 30 foot fiberglass tub.

"Why don't you just sink it right in the slip? It'll save you some moments of sheer panic, expensive tow fees and be a lot safer."

He was never known for his tact.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:09 PM

16,945 posts, read 6,997,364 times
I learned to sail in 25 to 35 foot boats. As did my two older daughters. The only problem with the ladies was they were more interested in the instructor than the boat. In one of their final classes he brought the bow of the boat to the end of the dock and then jumped off and pushed the boat out. Then told them to dock it properly...which they did after milling around for a couple of minutes in the basin.

I also have a certificate in celestial navigation from UCLA. And I flew airplanes before I took up sailing.

Later on we bought a Catalina boat...a 30 foot rear cabin Carver. We also had a mooring in Avalon.

I also sailed a number of long hauls up and down the coast. Everywhere from Victoria BC down to Puerto Vallarta. I will single hand anything up to about 60 feet. Need a helper in the bigger boat just do to the weight of things. But quite comfortable in any of them. For long haul need at least one other watch stander.

I would note that in the sailing instruction we spent more than a few hours maneuvering under power. In fact one drill was at twilight in a basin a foot or two bigger than the boat. Go in, turn around and go out. And do not break anything in the process. Very educational. Single screw is a learned art.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:33 PM

18,475 posts, read 10,399,302 times
America's Cup boats have lithium ion batteries. They don't care about the expense.

Ripping out the diesel auxiliary is a range issue. You can go hundreds of miles on a tank of diesel fuel. What happens if you're dismasted offshore in a big blow and your auxiliary power either needs to work or you drown? You'd need an enormous battery bank for that kind of situation.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:04 PM

4,729 posts, read 1,340,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I learned to sail in 25 to 35 foot boats. As did my two older daughters. The only problem with the ladies was they were more interested in the instructor than the boat. In one of their final classes he brought the bow of the boat to the end of the dock and then jumped off and pushed the boat out. Then told them to dock it properly...which they did after milling around for a couple of minutes in the basin.

I also have a certificate in celestial navigation from UCLA. And I flew airplanes before I took up sailing.

Later on we bought a Catalina boat...a 30 foot rear cabin Carver. We also had a mooring in Avalon.

I also sailed a number of long hauls up and down the coast. Everywhere from Victoria BC down to Puerto Vallarta. I will single hand anything up to about 60 feet. Need a helper in the bigger boat just do to the weight of things. But quite comfortable in any of them. For long haul need at least one other watch stander.

I would note that in the sailing instruction we spent more than a few hours maneuvering under power. In fact one drill was at twilight in a basin a foot or two bigger than the boat. Go in, turn around and go out. And do not break anything in the process. Very educational. Single screw is a learned art.
Hmm - interesting (for several reasons). I, for one, would love to hear more snippets.

Any update from the OP on his story?

Old 01-28-2021, 11:40 AM

18,475 posts, read 10,399,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I learned to sail in 25 to 35 foot boats.

A 29' King's Cruiser built in Sweden. Do I win a prize?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles