Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 09:39 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

Since I will have to sell my current bike before my near future relocation, I will need to get a replacement one at the new address (diff State).

I have always been curious about the Kawi KLR 650 and even a new base model might be within my budget (especially with special markdowns by dealer due to manufacturer rebates).

I wanted to check this forum before venturing on to KLR specific web forums since I wouldn't really be familiar with anyone on any of the related forums.

I'd like to hear your candid feedback on a Gen 3 KLR. Also, feel free to recommend/mention any comparable bikes that would be within the same price range (under $7K) new or slightly older.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 08:03 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Best budget adventure bike. The guy I go to trackdays with loves his, though admits the BMW GS is fancier, faster etc...I think the BMW has a better susension too but you've gotta pay for that. When/if I ever get to go adventure touring I'll be getting the Kawi.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Best budget adventure bike. The guy I go to trackdays with loves his, though admits the BMW GS is fancier, faster etc...I think the BMW has a better susension too but you've gotta pay for that. When/if I ever get to go adventure touring I'll be getting the Kawi.
Hi, ty for the reply!
Yes, despite their shortcomings, the owners of KLRs (all Gens) seem to love their bike!
I really liked its simplicity and lack of tech but lack of 6th gear and freeway power is what might hold me back.

As a heavy set rider who likes to ride fast time to time, this might be a deal breaker.
I may end up going for the newer Suzuki VStrom DE800 for $3K-$4K more as it is definitely a much more ideal bike for my riding style and needs.

Cheers,
TL

PS. Overall, motorcycle prices seem to have gone thru the roof, especially the 1+ Liter adventure bikes. You could buy a mid size sedan for the same money!

Old 07-25-2023, 03:13 PM

777 posts, read 503,312 times
Hey, CrazyTurk!! What up, man? Been thinkin' about ya lately, and your move. Why don't you just take your MG to PNW? I brought my Honda CB to Texas in the POD, as I'm sure you know. Just don't tell them. You pack and lock it yourself, with your own locks. Anyhow, not crazy about those KLR650's. Too little beans, and I know you like to ride fast! I've just bought a lo-mile 2009 Yamaha V-Star1300 'cause Annette is making noises about riding with me. She wouldn't like riding pillion on the Honda, and I may or may not sell it, we'll see. The Yami has a big, wide pillion seat with a padded sissy bar and hard bags. How's your Mom?

Old 07-25-2023, 10:06 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Way overweight and underpowered. Take a look at a KTM 390 Adventure.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:36 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Ok, so, based on what we've learned here (OP likes to ride FAST.) And is a heavy duty person, we can only recommend what we think would/could be best for you.

Wanna go fast? Easy. Hayabusa!

But you're looking at the Kwacker KLR 650. They are not fast, but they ARE as dependable as a rock. This has much more

value, than quickness.

If you're going to hit the Dalton, then the big KLR is what you want. Again, they are bullet-proof. The newer generation is fuel

injected, so range might be enhanced slightly. They might be slightly heavier though. On the street/roadway, weight doesn't

matter much. HOWEVER, weight is of paramount importance when on the trail (especially single track.?)

Old 07-28-2023, 10:30 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Ok, so, based on what we've learned here (OP likes to ride FAST.) And is a heavy duty person, we can only recommend what we think would/could be best for you.

But you're looking at the Kwacker KLR 650. They are not fast, but they ARE as dependable as a rock. This has much more

value, than quickness.

If you're going to hit the Dalton, then the big KLR is what you want. Again, they are bullet-proof. The newer generation is fuel

injected, so range might be enhanced slightly. They might be slightly heavier though. On the street/roadway, weight doesn't

matter much. HOWEVER, weight is of paramount importance when on the trail (especially single track.?)
I agree. I went on a Kawasaki test ride today. Look for one in your area. The bonus is you get $500 in Kawi cash after a test ride that can be used in addition to the $1,000 rebate.

My summation is that the KLR is like a Subaru or Tractor. Good torque but not fast. To me it doesn't matter. I rode a 650S and found it to be comfortable, well balanced, and smooth shifting. I did not find the weight to be an issue. I intend to ride it mostly on secondary roads and dirt roads in northern New England. As a former Harley rider, it felt light!

The value, especially with the rebates, is amazing in a world where most bikes are solidly over $10,000.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:38 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
IDK about that. Unless is absolutely has to be new.

Nothing wrong with a KLR (i used to have a gen 1). But you can get a super tenere for about the same money or 650gs sertao or even an 1190 if you go back another few years.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Hey, CrazyTurk!! What up, man? Been thinkin' about ya lately, and your move. Why don't you just take your MG to PNW? I brought my Honda CB to Texas in the POD, as I'm sure you know. Just don't tell them. You pack and lock it yourself, with your own locks. Anyhow, not crazy about those KLR650's. Too little beans, and I know you like to ride fast! I've just bought a lo-mile 2009 Yamaha V-Star1300 'cause Annette is making noises about riding with me. She wouldn't like riding pillion on the Honda, and I may or may not sell it, we'll see. The Yami has a big, wide pillion seat with a padded sissy bar and hard bags. How's your Mom?
Still Crazy (and still a fricken Turk)!

I thought you knew my situation. I will have to relocateg to the hot country (Phoenix) for now (not sure for how long exactly). So, Stella barely tolerates So Cal heat so she won't be having it in Phoenix.
Also, too much headache/$$ to take her there but I may end up having to! If I still had my full size truck, I'd definitely lean towards taking it as bikes seem to have a much higher value there but if I can get a decent money for it here then makes things much easier as I have enough on my plate already.

If business situation doesn't happen, come Summer, I will bail and try PNW as I have been contemplating.
Time will tell.

I didn't know you actually got a new bike. Congrats! I think you both will enjoy that bike!
But did you forget, only on a Honda you meet the nicest people?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Way overweight and underpowered. Take a look at a KTM 390 Adventure.
I actually love bikes torque that can do a wheelie when you sneeze! Though riding style, length and weight of the bike is important as well. KTM's size seemed very suitable, just wished it has a 6th gear and perhaps another 10-15 ponies for occasional freeway riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

But you're looking at the Kwacker KLR 650. They are not fast, but they ARE as dependable as a rock. This has much more value, than quickness.

I dislike sports/super sports, hate their riding position all the silly fairings, etc. I am definitely a cruiser/naked/adventure bike type guy. Those types have the riding style and ergonomics I like.

I saw 2023 base model KLRs selling for under $5K and adventure model under $6K (probably including all the manuf. rebates, cashback, etc.) so yeah, especially at those prices, it is definitely a very good bang for the buck and becomes a very desirable option.

I will check one in person after the move to determine if it'd make a suitable bike for me.
I could totally see getting one in PNW as that environment (rural forests) would be super suitable and fun with it, me thinks.

For Phoenix, something like Suzuki VStrom 800DE would be lovely but I couldn't buy one new unless I had a generous Texan friend who was feeling extra charitable, help me!

I think I will look and settle for a used cruiser/standard road bike for the time being.
Thanks for all the input!

PS. I will update this when I actually get something.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:08 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
IDK about that. Unless is absolutely has to be new.

Nothing wrong with a KLR (i used to have a gen 1). But you can get a super tenere for about the same money or 650gs sertao or even an 1190 if you go back another few years.
I think if you look on Craigslist you'll see that the Kawi and Honda Africa Twin are typically the cheapest. But you dont get much with those bikes.

But speed on two wheels is all about rider ability, at least up to a certain skill level. Friend likes to smugly boast about how much faster he is on the most difficult/technical trails than his buddies on BMW's and KTMs. Same friend thoroughly enjoys passing R1s and GSXR1000s on his SV650 at our trackdays. I just listen and roll my eyes usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles