U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 06:20 AM

17,927 posts, read 36,236,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not all the time. The motorcycle riders aren't always innocent bystanders. I've seen some morons on them around here (SC)

I took the MSF course at a Harley dealership in Alabama about 2 months ago with my nephew. We both enjoyed it.. Both of us, it was the first time on a motorcycle whatsoever. Kinda a bucket list thing for me, might be more serious for him.

I don't think it's something I'll continue with, but I certainly understand the attraction and am glad I did it.

Share a story.. When we took the MSF course, one of the bikes was down. When they took us on the dealership tour.. There it was in pieces. I, of course, had to ask.. And got the whole story.

A week or two before our course.. A woman had come in. On exercise 13 or so.. She somehow took off to the point they thought she was going to crash into a fence some 400 feet away, pulled a 270 degree turn, jumped a curb and crashed into a building.

I don't remember the exact exercise.. But we all just sat there going "How?". If I remember, 13 might be the one where you start and have to take the sharp right at the start.. Anyway, that was the exercise where she crashed, whether it's 13 or not, and she wound up failing the class ('natch) and causing significant damage to the bike.
I stopped riding mine because several times I noticed people barreling down behind me while I was sitting there waiting to make a turn. The thought to being hit from behind by an inattentive driver in a F150 was enough to make me stop riding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 01:54 PM

3,547 posts, read 1,320,581 times
EX. 13 is "Negotiating Curves. (Think of a large right triangle.)

2nd gear

"O-I-O" (Outside, inside, outside path of travel.)

135 degree turns, both left and right.

12 to 17 mph is the recommended speed.

There's a whole lot more but you get the gist.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:20 AM

5,368 posts, read 6,938,668 times
With choices come consequences. The same way you can get into an accident in your vehicle regardless of how cautious a driver you are, is the same way you can/will eventually get into an accident on a motorcycle whether its your fault or not.

From an early age I knew that owning/riding a motorcycle comes with serious risk. Therefore I never purchased one.

Bikers can blame drivers all they want. Fact is, they know the risks yet choose to ride anyway.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM

Ah yes, the old "Risk vs. Reward" conundrum.

Can I just leave this here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KosvUV6Px4

Old 01-11-2021, 11:07 AM

Having a wide open parking lot is easy. A place like an alley, with walls might be a little different.

BTW~ I did both of these on "one take."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D_4N-sat2U

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-11-2021 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 01-14-2021, 09:14 AM

320 posts, read 135,789 times
Is riding dangerous. It depends a lot on the bike and where. I ride off-road mostly on the bike I post under on CD forum. I’ve crashed some, even ended up in an ICU ward for 5 days, not fun. But I’m still riding today. I’m more scared and hyper alert when I’m riding on the pavement around multiple distracted driving cagers. I’d say from riding in traffic, 10-20% are txting or looking at their cell phones. My bike weighs 250lbs, produces over 50hp, I can manage that. But crashing off road in soft dirt not to bad. But on a Harley in pavement, your permanently damaged if not dead.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Is riding dangerous. It depends a lot on the bike and where. I ride off-road mostly on the bike I post under on CD forum. I’ve crashed some, even ended up in an ICU ward for 5 days, not fun. But I’m still riding today. I’m more scared and hyper alert when I’m riding on the pavement around multiple distracted driving cagers. I’d say from riding in traffic, 10-20% are txting or looking at their cell phones. My bike weighs 250lbs, produces over 50hp, I can manage that. But crashing off road in soft dirt not to bad. But on a Harley in pavement, your permanently damaged if not dead.
Now see? I asked you if you were/are a KaTooM driver. (I guess How could you NOT be?) Oh well. I ride a Husky...

Old 03-04-2021, 08:26 PM

Or, get on a track and have some fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm2DP8uAVQM

Old 03-09-2021, 01:16 PM

377 posts, read 148,358 times
Be realistic about what type/kind of bike you want and can handle. Take a class, keep your eyes up and your wits about you, ride within your experience and abilities.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 AM

5,490 posts, read 4,426,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Be realistic about what type/kind of bike you want and can handle. Take a class, keep your eyes up and your wits about you, ride within your experience and abilities.
Good friend of mine bought a H-D on a genuinely good deal a year ago. I've looked at it and it's superlative, a correct customization for a shorter rider. Many women of course have shorter inseam. Not touching the ground from the saddle would make me nervous too.

She took the MSF New Riders Course (or equivalent these days) summer 2020 and flunked. Wasn't sure one could flunk, but she did give it her all. Fear and lack of experience sunk her on later drills. I watched some of them (her performance) from the sidelines on Day 2 and I'd have flunked her too. She was upset and hung up her spurs. The new season is slowly arriving to the PacNW and she seems to prefer pillion vs. rider. She's a good passenger btw.

Some should not street ride. Know thyself; this woman is mid-40s with a good idea of where she's strong vs. not. To the quoted: when experience = zero and abilities = demonstrably 'needs improvement,' either solve it or choose another path to enjoy the sport.

PS: I've been street riding since '87, road raced with AFM in northern CA three seasons in the 1990s, woods bikes a few years, adventure bikes in Africa 3K miles couple years ago on gravel and dodgy pavement. I now street ride a R1200RT just 'cause I hadn't owned a BMW before (quite civilized, I must say). No intention of stopping anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles