Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing. What do people look for in buying a bike? My wants are simple: something inexpensive that will get me to the office and back on nice days (10 miles each way on 45-55 mph, 2 lane roads), is not a crotch rocket, is easy to maintain, etc. I'll be a solo rider as my wife wants nothing to do with a bike. I'd probably use it to run errands, etc as well. (Just want to park the V-8 truck a little bit here and there.)

I don't need to have a Harley but I don't want to be pointed and laughed at for riding the equivilant of a clown bike. Personally (if it helps) - I'm about 6' and 280 lbs. I've seen some less expensive foreign bikes in the 500cc range, but will they work? I like the HD Sportster 883L, but am I paying for the name more than the bike?

I'd appreciate any help / guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 01:23 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,902 times
Talking Motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing. What do people look for in buying a bike? My wants are simple: something inexpensive that will get me to the office and back on nice days (10 miles each way on 45-55 mph, 2 lane roads), is not a crotch rocket, is easy to maintain, etc. I'll be a solo rider as my wife wants nothing to do with a bike. I'd probably use it to run errands, etc as well. (Just want to park the V-8 truck a little bit here and there.)

I don't need to have a Harley but I don't want to be pointed and laughed at for riding the equivilant of a clown bike. Personally (if it helps) - I'm about 6' and 280 lbs. I've seen some less expensive foreign bikes in the 500cc range, but will they work? I like the HD Sportster 883L, but am I paying for the name more than the bike?

I drive a 85 goldwing aspencade that i picked up for 3000.00 dollars and it rides great looks great and also has plenty of room for carrying things with the bags and trunk. it get's about 50 miles to the gallon. they also have a radio to listen to ,which is very nice. here is a picture so you can see what they look like. they are pretty roomy for a tall person.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,707,070 times
I have a 1976 500 cc Yamaha that I bought new. !!!..still using it for the same reasons you describe. (Yes I take care of my toys) tops out at 107 mph...fast enough for what I'm doing
I've been riding for 40 years and around town etc i like a mid displacement machine...if I was hitting the road I'd go for something a lot bigger , but for around and about I like the light nimble feel.....better gas milage too

Old 05-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I have a variety of sizes (9 total), but... don't find them too practical compared to my 50 mpg VW's and living in a climate with 200+ days rain.

For economy, look at some smaller dual sports, they can get 80 mpg + when ridden gently. I have a 'trials' bike that will get an ez 100+mpg and has decent cruising speed, but is quite light for traffic.

My road bikes get ~ 50mpg, so I would rather have a heater and wipers

but... try a few out, as it depends on your road surfaces and commute traffic as to which you'll prefer. I really dislike commuting and running errands on a heavy, cumbersome bike. For a road machine I would look to a 'vintage' BMW as there are some very nice low mileage ones for ~ $3000, so you don't have a bunch of capital tied up, and yet have something with some class, handling, and reliability + low maintenance and long service.

For economy and versatile fun I would get a dual sport, and enjoy the 'out-back' (and backroads) when not having to work.

I have taken too many trips with my Harley friends to ever consider one of them... (I like to return home on my bike, not in a tow truck)

If you are new to motorcycling #1... be very careful, an increasing high incidence of older folks getting cracked up on them. (not that you are older... but I am !! don't heal too fast) It's not worth spending the rest of your life in an O2 tent to save a few bucks in fuel... I kept a sticker on my Flat-track racer rear fender... "Life is fragile, Handle with care". But I feel much safer on a track at 100 mph, than playing bumper cars in the city.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
I'll agree with the dual sport. really good bikes

Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

As a motorcycle instructor I suggest to students to start small and second hand. You can move up once you are comfortable riding and second hand is cheaper to start and you won't be as depressed when you drop it ( all my students drop bikes within the first year ).

I started on a honda 400 for 1 year, then moved to a honda shadow 1100. Thought about moving bigger, but the shadow just seems right for me. If anything, I will move toward a sport tourer or a standard bike.

for you I think a suzuki v-strom 650. A 1000 version is also available. Upright seating position, good gas mileage, comfy, many accessories available, light weight. Add hard saddlebags and trunk, windshield, grip covers and heated grips and you are good to go. BTW - this is what I would move toward if I got rid of the shadow.

Cruisers - kawi, yamaha, honda and suzuki all have nice bikes in the 750-900 cc range. reasonable price, look nice, accessories.

go to a dealer and sit on the machines. See what "fits". But buy a used one that has been well maintained.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
I hope that before you buy a bike you plan on attending a rider course and buying decent riding gear?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
KLR 650

Bullet proof, cheap, and when you want to sell it, you'll get close to what you paid for it.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Any 1980's UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) that fits. For a starter bike I suggest the 400 to 600 cc twins. Light enough to be easy to ride and fast enough to keep up with traffic. Avoid the crotch rockets and the full dirt bikes. Teh first will hurt your back and teh latter will shake you apart on smooth roads. I cannot make a legs out front V-twin cruiser do what I want it to so I would avoid them.

I am returning to riding this spring with a 1971 BMW R-75. IMHO the older and smaller BMW's are the best road bikes out there. Smooth, quiet and quick enough.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM

190 posts, read 681,346 times
I ride a Suzuki Burgman 400. It is very easy to handle, fully automatic, good protection from the elements, power enough for the freeway, very comfortable, plenty of built in storage and gets loads of compliments and interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles