Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2021, 11:58 AM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times

Advertisements

Brands like Tao Tao or VMOTO are certainly much cheaper than the more common brands like Honda, Kawasaki...etc. Are these cheaper Chinese quads worth it for the long run and are they good starter bikes for children? Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 10:29 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Plan on repairing them, often.

Sometimes with "unobtanium" parts...

Then, go get your Hon/Yam/Suz/Kaw product.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Brands like Tao Tao or VMOTO are certainly much cheaper than the more common brands like Honda, Kawasaki...etc. Are these cheaper Chinese quads worth it for the long run and are they good starter bikes for children? Opinions please.
I worked on quads and jet skis as a hobby. Your biggest issue with Chinese quads is going to be getting parts. As far as beginner kids bikes...it’s great for that. As long as you understand that they will be worth nothing when you sell them. I would research the parts availability. Maybe find a dealer that sells them that has a actual brick and mortar shop.

Personally I would look at buying used mainstream brand. Most small kids quads don’t get hammered as they aren’t very powerful a d usually parents tend to govern the throttles.
And kids do outgrow them pretty quickly.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:10 PM

204 posts, read 201,814 times
I concur with the above posts regarding maintenance and finding parts when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Personally I would look at buying used mainstream brand.
I'll add that you could likely snag a used Japanese machine, start your kid(s) on it, and resell if for about what you paid.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Now that I have obtained a Tao Tao Chinese quad and needed a carb cleanout and some other work and didn't want to do myself, I realize that there are very few ATV/dirt bike shops will accept them for some reason. I think they feel that because they are so inexpensive, they might get stuck with the quad if the owner racks up several hundred dollars in repairs that cost more than the actual quad.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:04 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Now that I have obtained a Tao Tao Chinese quad and needed a carb cleanout and some other work and didn't want to do myself, I realize that there are very few ATV/dirt bike shops will accept them for some reason. I think they feel that because they are so inexpensive, they might get stuck with the quad if the owner racks up several hundred dollars in repairs that cost more than the actual quad.
Or, parts availability.
Or, guaranteeing work, with parts of dubious quality.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:55 PM

635 posts, read 784,039 times
Mine kept breaking. Buy a Japanese quad unless ur a glutton for punishment.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:57 PM

Yup, will keep you guys posted on how the two chinese quads I have work out as time goes by. One is a 200 VMOTO and then smaller one is a 125 TAO TAO....kids love them, but I'm afraid I will be repairing them often like you say.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:52 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Starters or loaf around the yard. Honda yamaha et al sold off the license for the plans to upstarts in china and while they CAN make one as good as the original, they aint. and the engineering is sloppy...it might be a chamaha or chonda engine, but the factory yamaha or honda part wont quite fit. if tolerances are critical, it will fail.

Im still driving my original 93 trx300ex and my kid has a 01 version. real parts still available so they should outlive me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles