Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM

48 posts, read 40,455 times

Advertisements

2020 has statistically been a horrible year for motorcyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 02:03 PM

608 posts, read 515,687 times
Bad year for Motorcyclists where, Bavaria, or here in the US? Motorcycles are more hazardous than other types of vehicles anywhere. Just a basic fact, but hazards can be minimized greatly through rider training.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:18 PM

48 posts, read 40,455 times
I just searched and read that there's a lot going on in Southern California in terms of accidents.

Even I rented a motorcycle in L.A. last year

Old 12-30-2020, 12:18 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,938 times
Can you share the statistics that back up your claim, or are they a secret?

Old 12-31-2020, 10:54 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
I MSF trained as many riders as I could! LOL! (I still tutor new riders.)

Actually, California has a climate that promotes motorcycling all year long. Therefor, exposure is higher.

Another factor is Californian's are affluent, They can/do buy more new cars/trucks than anyone. These new vehicles are loaded with driver distractions. This increase in driver distraction has proved to be problematic for motorcyclists. SMIDSY is becoming more and more popular.

What I tell students in class, "It's ok if you think the risk is too high for you. I'm here to help mitigate that risk." I've never had a student get up and leave after saying that. And I've been doing this A LOT of years...

Old 01-03-2021, 03:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodil85 View Post
I just searched and read that there's a lot going on in Southern California in terms of accidents.

Even I rented a motorcycle in L.A. last year
International motorcycling is quite dangerous when crossing over from RH drive to LH driving. (I do this often in Asia and Europe). USA had a double fatality last yr the first day UK visitors rented their motorcycles and stopped for gas and headed down the road on the wrong side.

Quite a wide variety of riding (and dangers) in CA. From jammed packed freeways to remote desert.

I have ridden quite a bit of CA (especially Northern CA sweeping highways and the sierras.)

Plan to bring an XS-650 and an XT500 to Bavaria for annual GTG rides.

This yr I finally survived long enough to be eligible for healthcare in USA (age 65), so I am riding a lot more, and even climbing ladders! On my 65th B-Day a group of 12 Harley riders / Law Enforcement were on a pleasure ride. and a Drunk pickup driver (unlicensed) crossed centerline (at noon time) and took out 8 of them (4 were killed). Less than 1 mile from my house (I ride that road everyday).

The risk is out there and the risk is real.

Covid has brought a lot more people out riding (motorcycling is good for social distancing).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...cle-covid.html

Old 01-03-2021, 06:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
The problem isn't the motorcycle, but rather all of the other drivers who are staring at their phones and not paying attention.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,137 times
Scary scary for moto's out there...........you will surely die a horrible fiery death............

Old 01-04-2021, 03:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
When I had my motorcycle, an experienced rider with a half dozen pieces of metal in his body due to accidents over the years told me "It's not if you will crash your bike, it's when". I did, and I lost my enthusiasm for the bike. It wasn't a bad crash, my front tire caught and jackknifed me to the ground with a force about equal to taking a belly flop out of a second story window. I was wearing a helmet, padded ski goggles and a heavy jacket. Took me about 10 minutes to realize I was in one piece and get up. I had the imprint of the goggles etched into my face for several days. Sold the bike 6 months later. A guy who worked with me and rode his bike to work every day, lost half his leg in an accident. Got a prosthesis and 6 weeks later continued riding to work on the bike.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problem isn't the motorcycle, but rather all of the other drivers who are staring at their phones and not paying attention.

Not all the time. The motorcycle riders aren't always innocent bystanders. I've seen some morons on them around here (SC)

I took the MSF course at a Harley dealership in Alabama about 2 months ago with my nephew. We both enjoyed it.. Both of us, it was the first time on a motorcycle whatsoever. Kinda a bucket list thing for me, might be more serious for him.

I don't think it's something I'll continue with, but I certainly understand the attraction and am glad I did it.

Share a story.. When we took the MSF course, one of the bikes was down. When they took us on the dealership tour.. There it was in pieces. I, of course, had to ask.. And got the whole story.

A week or two before our course.. A woman had come in. On exercise 13 or so.. She somehow took off to the point they thought she was going to crash into a fence some 400 feet away, pulled a 270 degree turn, jumped a curb and crashed into a building.

I don't remember the exact exercise.. But we all just sat there going "How?". If I remember, 13 might be the one where you start and have to take the sharp right at the start.. Anyway, that was the exercise where she crashed, whether it's 13 or not, and she wound up failing the class ('natch) and causing significant damage to the bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles