Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 AM

924 posts, read 1,019,993 times

Advertisements

messed up my wrists a few times in the past (early teens) I still dirtbike now, but just a bit more cautious now. Do you guys think wrist supports or guard can help or reduce risk of broken wrists?

I also lift very heavy weights (50 lb curls) heavy bench etc. so I think this should help as well. I took a nasty fall about 2 mo ago and my palms are still bruised....my guess is, if I didnt lift weights, I would have had a broken wrist that day.

Also fell goign down hill on the snow over the handlebars and palms out first...felt a little pressure on my wrists but healed within 2 days..back riding the next...guessing weights also helped

anyhow, with me now being a bit more cautious, I am looking for ways to prevent or reduce the risks? Would you guys say wrist braces or supports help? Maybe someone has experience with them

and no...im not quitting ditbike riding....i'd rather die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 11:07 PM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Tough question. I run with handguards on my ADV bikes (mostly to protect the controls), but I've seen discussions against it. The claim is that in a wreck your hands/wrists can get caught by the guards and broken if you go launching off. Can't counter it-but will run them anyway.

I'd guess the best advice would be...don't wreck. Never figured that out on the dirt though.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Tough question. I run with handguards on my ADV bikes (mostly to protect the controls), but I've seen discussions against it. The claim is that in a wreck your hands/wrists can get caught by the guards and broken if you go launching off. Can't counter it-but will run them anyway.

I'd guess the best advice would be...don't wreck. Never figured that out on the dirt though.
haha on street is much easier not to wreck, but on dirt...yeah thats impossible lol. Yeah I keep hearing the same thing, wearing braces can help or can be an enemy if it gets caught on something. for now I bought a glove with wrists supports that seems pretty difficult to get caught up on something.

I am sure this is very difficult to prove is a wrist brace/guard helps at all.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
messed up my wrists a few times in the past (early teens) I still dirtbike now, but just a bit more cautious now. Do you guys think wrist supports or guard can help or reduce risk of broken wrists?

I also lift very heavy weights (50 lb curls) heavy bench etc. so I think this should help as well. I took a nasty fall about 2 mo ago and my palms are still bruised....my guess is, if I didnt lift weights, I would have had a broken wrist that day.

Also fell goign down hill on the snow over the handlebars and palms out first...felt a little pressure on my wrists but healed within 2 days..back riding the next...guessing weights also helped

anyhow, with me now being a bit more cautious, I am looking for ways to prevent or reduce the risks? Would you guys say wrist braces or supports help? Maybe someone has experience with them

and no...im not quitting ditbike riding....i'd rather die.
I'd say not falling down would help the most........

Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I'd say not falling down would help the most........
haha!! if only that can happen with dirtbikes I dont crash hard often...its actually pretty rare but i do have a lot of stupid spills lol esp if I try pushing myself in technical trails

Old 11-12-2021, 10:43 PM

43 posts, read 21,311 times
My first night riding my electric unicycle my pedal hit the side of speed bump I was going around and I toppled to the ground. I cut one of my right fingers on the pavement and ripped the left elbow of my jacket, but, I didn't break my wrists. I wear leather gloves when I ride now, under my wrist guards. I never use my EUC without my wrist guards.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:19 AM

703 posts, read 504,127 times
Slow down.

61 years old with several days in intensive care , multiple broken bones vet here.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:15 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,808,499 times
OP~

Unless you're racing, or training for racing, there's little point to riding at such a pace as to reduce your stability to a level to which you can't mitigate the risks.

If you're doing "Hard Enduro" then I can see how falling/injuring can happen.
What you need to do, is "learn how" to fall.

Keith Code has a section on "putting your hands out to break your fall."

All it does, is transfer energy to your wrists, as you know.

Ultimately, "Preventing broken wrists" requires you not to crash.

You say "you'd die if you couldn't ride dirt." I get that. (I ride it, too.)

While we both know that's not true. I also understand your position regarding dirty bike riding.

"Non dirt bike riders" will never understand this passion.

Is there a school close to you, where you can learn "how" to minimize your risks? I don't know where you're located, so I can't recommend a school for you.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:58 AM

43 posts, read 21,311 times
Wearing gloves beneath wrist guards is okay. You may put on a pair of protective gloves for extra protection. But if it makes you feel uncomfortable or makes your hands look bulky and heavy, then you may want to consider wearing gloves with wrist support, so you won’t need to combine wrist pads and gloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles