Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,209 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, this has more to do with my wallet than it does with living green. Although, living green does matter to me... I would like your advise on buying an electric scooter or bike. Here's what I'm looking for...

I work 8.5 miles from home one way, so I need something that gets around 20 plus miles on a charge. Also, speed matters. I'd like something that goes faster than 5 or 6 mph.

It has to have a sturdy frame and a good battery. I can't have either of the two breaking down after a years time of almost daily riding. It will be used 5 days out of the week, excluding holidays...

Electric bikes are OK, but I'd rather do less peddling. It's also not a big deal to have the thing Look like a scooter. I had a low mileage electric scooter before, but it was surrounded by cheap plastic that developed cracks after a while. Finally, does a 20-25 mile range scooter actually get 20-25 miles on a charge? Or is it more like 7 to 8? I once bought a scooter that the seller claimed got 20 miles to a charge, and it was more like 5 max. And no, I'm not a huge person. Rather light I'd say...

Does anyone have anything to say about the following models:

Scooters "n" Bikes
Scooters "n" Bikes
Scooters "n" Bikes
X-Treme X560 Electric Scooter - Gas Scooters, Electric Scooters, and Scooter Part Sales
IZIP Hybrid Electric Bicycles and Scooters (broken link)
IZIP Hybrid Electric Bicycles and Scooters (broken link)

My budget is $1,000. If you have any suggestions yourself, fire away! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nedely; 08-17-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I have been told go-ped scooters are very high quality
Go-Ped® Official Website

Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Electric Bikes - Electric-Bikes.com

I'm saving up for an electric bike myself.
You might want to get a username on Treehugger and ask the people on there or you can just scan their message boards to see if such a post has been brought up.
It's also worth searching electric bike or just bike on Treehugger.com

Best of luck!!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Forget about using any electric over those distances. Don't believe the hype, the battery technology is nowhere near that good. You'll ruin your battery by over-discharging it.

You need to move up to an IC powered scooter or plan on pedaling a lot if you want to cover those distances.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Forget about using any electric over those distances. Don't believe the hype, the battery technology is nowhere near that good. You'll ruin your battery by over-discharging it.

You need to move up to an IC powered scooter or plan on pedaling a lot if you want to cover those distances.
IC powered? Sorry I don't understand. Please explain.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:33 PM

346 posts, read 445,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
IC powered? Sorry I don't understand. Please explain.

IC= internal combustion

Old 08-23-2008, 11:48 PM

I'm looking for ELECTRIC.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:51 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
I'm looking for ELECTRIC.
You may be looking for it, but it won't work. There are some laws of physics in the way. I'd like to cross Texas on a gallon of gas, but it isn't possible in any street legal car. Have fun looking though.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Nedely, I don't think this is the best place to get opinions on electric powered bikes or scooters. I am a daily bicycle commuter (29 mile round trip on regular pedal powered bicycle, not electric powered), but I know of several people who use electric assist powered bicycles. While bike commuting, I have occasionally been passed by people on electric assist bicycles. These are not meant to be ridden in the middle of traffic lanes like a motorcycle or internal combustion engine scooter. Some of the electric assist powered bicycles are getting very good. In China, over 2 MILLION electric bikes and scooters are sold per year! Nearly everything you posted is made in China.

Here is a web forum that has a lot of good info on your topic:
Electric Bikes - Bike Forums

What is your intention, to go at the same speed as motor vehicle traffic in the traffic lanes, or in a bike lane or shoulder along the right side of the street at a speed slower than the flow of motor vehicle traffic? All of the electric scooters you posted look like they are not suited to be in the flow of motor vehicle traffic. (I am not a fan of those electric scooters. I don't like the tiny wheels on the scooters - they are too precarious if you hit a bump.)

Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You may be looking for it, but it won't work. There are some laws of physics in the way. I'd like to cross Texas on a gallon of gas, but it isn't possible in any street legal car. Have fun looking though.
whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles