Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a 49cc scooter, but have two questions ...

1) Weather: What happens if your scooter gets rained on? I've been told by a dealer that rain can potentially mess up a scooter. Seriously? That seems absurd to create a vehicle that is supposed to get you around outside, but can be broken by rain. Surely not everyone who owns a scooter has a garage to keep it in. Surely it ocassionally begins to rain when people are in the middle of driving somewhere on their scooters. Surely people leave their scooter outside of their workplace - and it begins to rain at random times. Right? If so, how does that work? Does rain hurt scooters? If so, what do all of you scooter riders w/o garages do? Do you seriously buy a tarp-cover and cover it every time you get to work, go to a store, or call it a night at home? Talk about inconvinient. Please, someone tell me that is not what you have to do.

2) Theft: A much lessor question, but what keeps someone with a pickup truck and no conscience from just picking up your scooter, putting it in the back of their truck, and riding off? I know they wouldn't have the keys and that is a huge diterent, but still. Technically, couldn't anyone just take your scooter if they really wanted to while you leave it outside your work, a store, or your apartment/house at night?

Thanks for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
For the weather problem, my scooter's gotten rained on many times and works beautifully fine. If I'm just running in and out of a store, I don't cover it. If it's going to be parked for at least 4+ hours, I will put my cover on. It's really not as inconvenient as it sounds. You just put it over and connect the S-link to the hole underneath.

As for the stealing issue, I chain my scooter down to something sturdy and solid (like a cemented pole). I spent a little extra on a chain that is bolt-cutter proof. But I would also question that if somebody would just pick up my scooter and leave - why not do it to a motorcycle that sells for way more money? That, and I only use the scooter to go to places that have an area to chain it.

I would also recommend scooter insurance. Mine costs me about $45/year.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,670,577 times
WEATHER---I'm not familiar with new scooters. Mine is over 10 yrs old and has no trouble with weather. I suppose newer scooters may have electronics that could be effected by prolonged (sitting overnite in the rain) exposure to moisture. What would the dealer gain by telling you something that wasn't true?

THEFT---I have always believed that locks "keep honest people honest". There is no lock that will keep a determined thief from stealing your scooter. Something else I have always believed, never insure anything you can afford to replace. Insure your scooter if you don't have the money to replace it. Check with your house owners insurance. It may cover something something stolen from your house.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,329 times
The dealer must be wanting to sell you this so he can have an add-on to the sale or to move you to a larger machine. There is no reason rain should hurt your scooter. Same thing with my motorcycle - rain doesn't hurt it. Riding in the rain sucks, but a two piece rain suit fixes that.

I have not in 12 years lost anything off my motorcycle. People tend to leave them alone here. I have heard of people stealing smaller bikes and racing bikes in larger cities. A small scooter - 49 cc - could easily be loaded into a van or truck in seconds by two guys. I would definitely carry a lock/chain device. It wont keep thieves out if they really want it, but it will slow down the crime of opportunities.

And while I don't know the exact laws in your location, I would recommend insurance. Collision with a car that might be your fault would mean paying repairs on that car. Liability? I wouldnt be without it in todays society.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
the tread on scooter tires are meant for dry smooth surfaces keep that in mind when you pick the tires for your scooter. YOu have to take curves extra extra slow or you will skid out onto your side make a cut on your elbow, slam your head on the pavement in the middle of a intersection bust your signal light and scratch your fender while the scooter just slam you on the side of your ankle with that 100 pds resting on it.

That is the experience I have had in the rain.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Something else I have always believed, never insure anything you can afford to replace. Insure your scooter if you don't have the money to replace it. Check with your house owners insurance. It may cover something something stolen from your house.
Well, the "insure" part I was speaking of wasn't just to replace if stolen. You should insure your scooter for the off-chance that you cause damage with it. Because you never know when that freak accident can happen - and I don't have the money on hand to fix somebody else's vehicle.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM

132 posts, read 460,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
THEFT---I have always believed that locks "keep honest people honest". There is no lock that will keep a determined thief from stealing your scooter.
That is certainly true, but there are plenty of lazy thiefs who won't bother to steal something chained down but would steal if the opportunity presented itself and there were no barriers.

I never had a (people-powered) bike stolen when chained, but the ONE night I left it unlocked, it disappeared. I lock up everything.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:01 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
In terms of weather proof, you get what you pay for. I can't imagine any quality product, such as a Vespa, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc., not being suitable for the weather.

My advice would be to stay away from the cheap Chinese $800 machines. A quality one will last many more miles and is easily serviceable.

Quality scooters often have built in theft deterrent systems.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I have a 250 Honda Helix scooter that I LOVE! I've had an 80, 125, 150 and now the 250. This is my second Helix. I've had this three years and have 12th on it already. I don't like riding in the rain, it's hard enough for the cars to see you in good weather. But the rain doesn't really hurt anything. I keep mine in the garage but have friends who keep theirs outside much of the time with a cover over them.
I have an extra trunk over the luggage rack and put my jacket and stuff in that. I have a helmet lock and some of the time I lock it up. I have never had anything taken off the scooter although some of my friends have. Most scooter you can turn the wheel and lock it in place so someone cannot push it. I have my insured also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles