Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a bicycle--intrepid souls ride in Atlanta traffic.

They must be the 'Most Fit' among us
Hey! That's the kind of "bike" I ride. And yes, we tend to stay a bit, uhm , more lean, than the errrr "Fat Boys" (and girls). What a great name. LOL

I've been to the TDF, the last year Lance rode. Y'all have some amazing climbing in GA! Fun fun riding!

Let me know if you need any bicycle advice. I'll leave the motorized kind to the others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 05:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Hey! That's the kind of "bike" I ride. And yes, we tend to stay a bit, uhm , more lean, than the errrr "Fat Boys" (and girls). What a great name. LOL

I've been to the TDF, the last year Lance rode. Y'all have some amazing climbing in GA! Fun fun riding!

Let me know if you need any bicycle advice. I'll leave the motorized kind to the others....
I see them headed toward Stone Mountain--down Briarcliff and La Vista--how they contend with the fuming drivers coming off gridlocked interstates I do not know.

Here is where I live>>>
http://www.lavistapark.org/traffic.htm (broken link)

('The Clifton Corridor'--Emory University area--heavily congested--at least those who have some concern for environmental issues are found here--riding bikes, carpooling...I am grateful for that.)

Why I ever stopped riding a bike, I can't say. My favorite thing to do as a kid.

Guess you know. Good fun.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 PM

79 posts, read 333,683 times
lol... I too have my motorcycle license and a safety course under my belt...

Nothing less than that coming from a dad that's ridden Honda's for over 30 years.

Although, I've managed to talk myself out of getting a bike anytime soon (the snow does help make that decision!).

Think I'll stick with my good old Schwinn!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Hey thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. The Road King is the one that is standing out to me but the Fat Boy looks like it's easier to ride. I'll definetly try out both and will take a MSF course as well.

A friend of mine has an '07 Fat Boy but previously owned an '05. He said the difference is quite noticable between the two engines and transmissions when you get in the mountains and on the highway. He said there wasn't much difference in around-town riding though.

I'm looking to sell my '02 Eldorado since I don't drive it much more after buying the Escape. I plan on using the money from that (around $20K) to get the bike. The only thing I'm afraid of is dropping it especially if I buy it new.

Thanks again, great advice.
Speedy, there is a difference in the ride between a Softail (Fat Boy) and Tourer (Road King) I've riden both and the tourers are a better ride if your traveling any distance. Also be aware that Fat Boys come with solid aluminum wheels. Many people complain about them catching too much cross wind on windy days (ask your friend) and they are a chore to keep clean. Like I said earlier you can probably pick up a 04-05 RK, low miles pretty cheap (for the Harley world) and many dealers offer the big bore kit as a winter special for about 11-12 hundred bucks complete. If you can test ride a Tourer I would do that and then ride your friends Fat Boy.Compare the rides and I think you'll will be surprised. I guess you can tell I'm partial to RKs'. Once again good luck and always......RIDE STRAIGHT....

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,488 times
Smile Made in USofA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
So does anyone here ride?
No crotch rockets though, only American iron . Advice?
The Gold Wing is made in America by Honda and is the permanent gold standard of touring motorcycles all the rest look up to.

Honda motorcycle plant in Marysville Ohio--

08/09/96
At the end of July the millionth motorcycle rolled off the assemblyline at Honda's Marysville Motorcycle Plant in Marysville, Ohio. Honda's Marysville plant was its first in the U.S.; it started production on September 10, 1979. The plant's millionth bike was a Gold Wing Aspencade.

-The comfort I felt riding on the back of my husbands' Honda Gold Wing made me fall asleep.-

Yo fat momma won't do that on the rear of a hog.

The hog will never make a million bikes.

The times I road the banging, rattling, shaking V’s my hands were sweaty and the system was stressed.

The Valkyrie I now go a motoring aboard does not leave one feeling abused after a fun filled ride along the Waikika.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
The Gold Wing is made in America by Honda and is the permanent gold standard of touring motorcycles all the rest look up to.

Honda motorcycle plant in Marysville Ohio--

08/09/96
At the end of July the millionth motorcycle rolled off the assemblyline at Honda's Marysville Motorcycle Plant in Marysville, Ohio. Honda's Marysville plant was its first in the U.S.; it started production on September 10, 1979. The plant's millionth bike was a Gold Wing Aspencade.

-The comfort I felt riding on the back of my husbands' Honda Gold Wing made me fall asleep.-

The times I road the banging, rattling, shaking V’s my hands were sweaty and the system was stressed.

The Valkyrie I now go a motoring aboard does not leave one feeling abused after a fun filled ride along the Waikika.
I don't know when the last time you were on a Harley but I would doubt it was a late model tourer. The Honda is a flat six and the Harley is obviously a v-twin. You probably should compare the Honda to a BMW that has a similar engine configuration. The Honda and BMW is definietly a bit smoother than the HD but the new Harleys (twin cams) have come a long way. I don't think any manufacturer has the same pop as HD does, none have the mystique. I've had no problem covering 500 miles a day on my Road King and was not the worse for wear. I think when Speedy referred to American Iron he was referring to an American v-twin (like some other post said HD, Victory perhaps Indian and all the other customs that are being made). I don't think he was referring to a motorcycle manufacturer that needs to point out that their motorcycles are made in American by stamping it on the back of their seats. Anyway to me they are all motorcycles and to each his own. Be safe and always remember.......RIDE STRAIGHT......

Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,100 times
Quote:
Puh-leeeze!

Quote:
Honda motorcycle plant in Marysville Ohio-

08/09/96
17 years is quite a long time for 1,000,000 bikes. Besides are the parts made in the USA or made in Japan and shipped here for assembly?

Quote:
-The comfort I felt riding on the back of my husbands' Honda Gold Wing made me fall asleep.
Must be an exciting ride if you're sleeping!

Quote:
Nor would I want her to! Besides, if anything she's too skinny

Quote:
The MoCo SOLD 1,251,730 bikes in four (4) years, 2003-2006. Once again I bring up 1,000,000 Hondas in 17 years.

Quote:

If I wanted to ride in a Miata I would buy one!

Black and Orange is as American as Red, White & Blue!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Puh-leeeze!

17 years is quite a long time for 1,000,000 bikes. Besides are the parts made in the USA or made in Japan and shipped here for assembly?

Must be an exciting ride if you're sleeping!

Nor would I want her to! Besides, if anything she's too skinny

The MoCo SOLD 1,251,730 bikes in four (4) years, 2003-2006. Once again I bring up 1,000,000 Hondas in 17 years.

If I wanted to ride in a Miata I would buy one!

Black and Orange is as American as Red, White & Blue!
Hey rdbeard, I guess the saying is true.."IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN". Anyway I agree on your orange and black statement. By the way Honda has actually built nearly 100 million bikes since day 1. What many people don't know is that almost 30 million of them are Super Cubs (50 c.c. scooters). Take care and remember to.....ALWAYS RIDE STRAIGHT......

Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
By the way Honda has actually built nearly 100 million bikes since day 1. What many people don't know is that almost 30 million of them are Super Cubs (50 c.c. scooters). Take care and remember to.....ALWAYS RIDE STRAIGHT......
True, but she was refering to "American made" Hondas.

Keep the shiny side up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles