Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times

Advertisements

So does anyone here ride?

I rode when I was in my teens but dropped the hobby before I went to college. Now I'm looking to get back into it but don't know what type of bike I should start out with. No crotch rockets though, only American iron. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
I used to ride. Sold my bike when I had my first child. A year later I bought it back...rode a couple years and sold it again. Was pretty short seasons in Alaska. A couple years ago I bought a model T Ford. It's the most fun I've ever had doing 35 mph! But I do miss riding a bike on ocassion.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Thumbs up Harley Davidson FLHTCUI aka "Geezer Glide"

I currently ride a '06 HD FLHTCUI (Ultra Classic), aka "Geezer Glide." I have the Ultra because I make at least a couple of 1500-2000+ mile RT rides a year. Plus I use it for commuting to/from work year round.

As far as what type of bike to get, it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Are you planning long trips, weekend jaunts, riding solo or two-up, etc?

The MoCo put out a new 96 c.i., 1550 cc engine and six speed transmission this year for all models except the Sporster. The old engine was an 88 c.i., 1450 cc and a five speed tranny.

Anyway, I recommend Harley because they are tried and true vs. the other models like Big Dog, Victory, etc.

Keep the shiny side up!

Peace!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:17 AM

If I would get a bike, it would NEED to be a Harley. I was raised with them, my uncle rides one, and I just love the look. I was looking at an '07 Fatboy and an '07 Road King.

I'll just be riding for weekend jaunts maybe take it up to the mountains. Usually it'll be just me but sometimes I'll take my ball-and-chain along as well.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Question What kind of 'Bike'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I rode when I was in my teens but dropped the hobby before I went to college. Now I'm looking to get back into it but don't know what type of bike I should start out with. No crotch rockets though, only American iron. Advice?

Do you mean --motorcycle? Harley?

I am thinking of getting a bicycle--intrepid souls ride in Atlanta traffic.

They must be the 'Most Fit' among us---planning to tour the state next month--there is growing interest in 'Bikes'--of all kinds here>>>
From AJC>>>
http://tinyurl.com/2mr6my (broken link)

sls

Old 02-03-2007, 07:30 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I took the weekend class four years ago and it rained the entire weekend, so we had to learn in the rain. It was great! I wanted to buy a Sportster and actually sat on a Fatboy and felt comfortable. Being it was my first bike and I didn't have a garage I settled for an old Honda. Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems with it since. My boyfriend had to replace the breaks and rebuild a couple things, including making me a new seat. He actually made it and it's the nicest thing on the bike. I just moved to SC and I should be able to practice a lot more here with the great weather and hopefully get that Harley in a year or so.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM

196 posts, read 1,037,875 times
I took the MSF coarse at the end of last year. Got my license but no bike. I'm really trying to talk my self out of it. It has been very hard though. Winter has helped with the decision to not buy a bike. My wife does not want me to get one. My favorite web site is called pashnit. That is what really made me want to ride.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:41 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

speedy, I've been riding for over 40 years now. You name it and I've probably owned it. I currently own a 2005 H-D Road King and it is a great ride. I know your into cars so you would appreciated what you can do to / with a RK. I would think you would be able to pick up a late model RK with low miles at a very reasonable price, unless money is no object. Many owners of pre 2007 Road Kings are looking to get into the '07 model. It has a bigger motor (96 cu.in. vs. 88 cu. in.) and six speed trans vs. 5 speed. I have the big bore kit in mine which makes it 95 cubic inches as well as exhaust and computer programmer for the e.f.i. unit. I never feel I don't have enough power with 2 up and the bags loaded. I also don't feel myself looking for an extra gear and I cruise at 75 on the highway. My bike weighs in at aprox. 1100 lbs. with 2 on and the bags full and it handles like a dream. You'd be surprised how well mannered it is. I am also contemplating building another bike. Perhaps a version of a 1930s' EL model or maybe a bobber. I'm still thinking about it. Anyway good luck with your endeavor. I would suggest taking a riding course if you haven't ridden for years. Go to http://msf-usa.org and you can get info where they will be giving it in your area. I go every year and always learn something and you'll make new friends to boot. Most riders that haven't taken the course and have been riding for years are amazed to find out how many bad habits they have developed over the years. If you need more info. pm me, and remember.........ALWAYS RIDE STRAIGHT.........

Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I agree with exhdo about taking the class. I had so much fun and learned a lot, plus made a few friends. Just don't drop the bike, it could be extremely embarrassing. I dropped it before I even got on it and I wanted to crawl into a corner.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
speedy, I've been riding for over 40 years now. You name it and I've probably owned it. I currently own a 2005 H-D Road King and it is a great ride. I know your into cars so you would appreciated what you can do to / with a RK. I would think you would be able to pick up a late model RK with low miles at a very reasonable price, unless money is no object. Many owners of pre 2007 Road Kings are looking to get into the '07 model. It has a bigger motor (96 cu.in. vs. 88 cu. in.) and six speed trans vs. 5 speed. I have the big bore kit in mine which makes it 95 cubic inches as well as exhaust and computer programmer for the e.f.i. unit. I never feel I don't have enough power with 2 up and the bags loaded. I also don't feel myself looking for an extra gear and I cruise at 75 on the highway. My bike weighs in at aprox. 1100 lbs. with 2 on and the bags full and it handles like a dream. You'd be surprised how well mannered it is. I am also contemplating building another bike. Perhaps a version of a 1930s' EL model or maybe a bobber. I'm still thinking about it. Anyway good luck with your endeavor. I would suggest taking a riding course if you haven't ridden for years. Go to http://msf-usa.org and you can get info where they will be giving it in your area. I go every year and always learn something and you'll make new friends to boot. Most riders that haven't taken the course and have been riding for years are amazed to find out how many bad habits they have developed over the years. If you need more info. pm me, and remember.........ALWAYS RIDE STRAIGHT.........
Hey thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. The Road King is the one that is standing out to me but the Fat Boy looks like it's easier to ride. I'll definetly try out both and will take a MSF course as well.

A friend of mine has an '07 Fat Boy but previously owned an '05. He said the difference is quite noticable between the two engines and transmissions when you get in the mountains and on the highway. He said there wasn't much difference in around-town riding though.

I'm looking to sell my '02 Eldorado since I don't drive it much more after buying the Escape. I plan on using the money from that (around $20K) to get the bike. The only thing I'm afraid of is dropping it especially if I buy it new.

Thanks again, great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles