Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
this is the best bike i have ever owned and we have enjoyed every trip we have been on. here's a picture of my bike.
That's some clean customizing, and she looks very comfy, competent, and classic.... nice! Being of the older "touring" persuasion, I also appreciate the "comforts" these days!

Along the same lines, a middle-aged friend recently decided to build the "custom chopper of his dreams". He spared no expense or effort for the sake of "cool looks" and "styling", instead of "function". But unlike the rigid framed choppers of his youth, now his age demanded a couple concessions to practicality: an easy-on-the-back softtail (with a swingarm and shocks), and this time he also made sure his "perfect chopper" had a nice, comfortable saddle!

Any other bike pics out there...?
Attached Images

Last edited by mateo45; 11-13-2008 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
That's some clean customizing, and she looks very comfy, competent, and classic.... nice! Being of the older "touring" persuasion, I also appreciate the "comforts" these days!

Along the same lines, a middle-aged friend recently decided to build the "custom chopper of his dreams". He spared no expense or effort for the sake of "cool looks" and "styling", instead of "function". But unlike the rigid framed choppers of his youth, now his age demanded a couple concessions to practicality: an easy-on-the-back softtail (with a swingarm and shocks), and this time he also made sure his "perfect chopper" had a nice, comfortable saddle!

Any other bike pics out there...?

hey thanks alot. i used to ride bikes that looked nice but weren't nearly as comfy as this one. this is my nineth bike. i love it cause i can go to the grocery store and buy more than a bottle of soda...lol i'm looking into getting a trike kit for it to make it even more comfortable. the kit i'm looking at you can remove it in about ten minutes. the only thing is it costs 4000 dollars so i'm still saving my pennies.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
hey thanks alot. i used to ride bikes that looked nice but weren't nearly as comfy as this one. this is my nineth bike. i love it cause i can go to the grocery store and buy more than a bottle of soda...lol i'm looking into getting a trike kit for it to make it even more comfortable. the kit i'm looking at you can remove it in about ten minutes. the only thing is it costs 4000 dollars so i'm still saving my pennies.
Yes, if it's the same trike kit I'm thinking of, you don't have to remove the back wheel, which is nice. FYI, since they've been around for a bit now, have also seen the used kits from time to time on Craigslist for alot less $$.

But understood re: the convenience of trikes. When I get to the point of not being able to safely manage a motorcycle anymore, that 3-wheeled Can-Am Spyder also looks like a pretty good replacement!
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcyclists: best/worst bike you've owned & best or worst bike trip...?-can-am.jpg  

Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
I had a Suzuki 100 dirtbike that was cobbled together from the remains of 3 bikes when I lived in West Africa. Since I had never had a motorcycle before and I haven't had one since, I'd have to say it was both my best and my worst motorcycle.

My worst experiences:
1) riding over a large snake while losing power going up a steep hill on a dirt road and not knowing if the snake was going to reach around and bite me (it didn't.) I couldn't stop because the snake was crossing the road and coming down the hill toward me.

2) Riding home from a town 100 miles away in 110 degree heat on a Sunday when there were very few vehicles on this desolate road. My bungy cord on the back of the bike snapped and went into my spokes. Didn't fall, but I was stuck with a completely snarled cord in the spokes. I thought I was goign to die of heat there on the road when I heard another motorcycle approaching. They stopped and it turned out to be the motorcycle mechanic from the Peace Corps office (the same person who cobbled together my hodgepodge bike.) He was the only person who had passed me in 2 hours on this road and he was 55 miles from his home. Amazing coincidence. He came to the aid of this damsel in distress, and I learned to bungy better.

3) Coming out one morning and finding out that an entire flock of chickens had roosted and pooped on my bike.

The best experience:

1) Riding through incredible countryside in West Africa and being amazed that I, a 24 year old very inexperienced-in-life young woman, was riding a motorcycle through the countryside in West Africa!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Best trip...

In summer 1994, a friend of mine was working at Cycle World Magazine and we were heading up to the US Grand Prix "USGP" races at Laguna Seca in Monterey, California. We took a Ducati 916 (first year of production in '94) and a Honda CBR600F2. We traded bikes about every hour all the way up.

A gorgeous ride up Pacific Coast Highway to a hotel in Carmel where the rest of the guys from the magazine were staying. Hanging out with the media guys all weekend getting into everywhere on the racetrack that was off limits to the general public, hitting the restaurants on Cannery Row...what a weekend. I think Wayne Rainey won the race (Marlboro Yamaha), but Kevin Schwantz took the overall championship for the '94 season (Lucky Strike Suzuki). Mick Doohan was just coming on strong (Rothmans Honda) back then too. Rode home Monday taking every side road possible. One of those riding weekends you never forget...

Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Yes, if it's the same trike kit I'm thinking of, you don't have to remove the back wheel, which is nice. FYI, since they've been around for a bit now, have also seen the used kits from time to time on Craigslist for alot less $$.

But understood re: the convenience of trikes. When I get to the point of not being able to safely manage a motorcycle anymore, that 3-wheeled Can-Am Spyder also looks like a pretty good replacement!

hey i go on craigs list all the time. i never thought of looking for a used set. and yes it is the type you don't have to remove the back wheel. i like that type because if you want to ride with out it or need to repair something in the back it removes in 5 minutes. i ran into a guy that had one and he told me there not that bad and they do allow the bike to lean up to i think he said 7 or 8 degrees. so it's not ridged with no lean at all. i think it would be nice just not to have to put my feet down at a stop. also i am thinking about towing a trailer and i was told it would be more stable with the trike kit. also that can am you have a picture of, well i priced them things and their like 40 to 50 grand. yikes, i could buy six more bikes like mine for that price.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
hey i go on craigs list all the time. i never thought of looking for a used set. and yes it is the type you don't have to remove the back wheel. i like that type because if you want to ride with out it or need to repair something in the back it removes in 5 minutes. i ran into a guy that had one and he told me there not that bad and they do allow the bike to lean up to i think he said 7 or 8 degrees. so it's not ridged with no lean at all. i think it would be nice just not to have to put my feet down at a stop. also i am thinking about towing a trailer and i was told it would be more stable with the trike kit. also that can am you have a picture of, well i priced them things and their like 40 to 50 grand. yikes, i could buy six more bikes like mine for that price.
I see 'em for sale used for around $13K-$17K:
yellow spyder (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/919332142.html - broken link)
CAN AM SPYDER TRIKE 990 V TWIN (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/919218299.html - broken link)
FYI: USED VOYAGER TRIKE KIT (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/869829586.html - broken link)
Figure it's just a good excuse to plan a good cross-country ride...!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I see 'em for sale used for around $13K-$17K:
yellow spyder (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/919332142.html - broken link)
CAN AM SPYDER TRIKE 990 V TWIN (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/919218299.html - broken link)
FYI: USED VOYAGER TRIKE KIT (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mcy/869829586.html - broken link)
Figure it's just a good excuse to plan a good cross-country ride...!

really ? all i see around here are new ones. i priced those trike kits right from the company and there selling between 3500 and 4000 grand for my bike.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
I used to ride this Guzzi 850 ElDorado, nice bike. Used to break clutch cable regularly though, I always carried a spare.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,857 times
Best bike I've ever owned is my current one. A '00 TL1000R. The power is amazing and its still pretty easy to throw around in the corners but also being a V-twin I like how the power band is more spread out.
Worst would be a '02 ninja 250. It was fun but too small.

Favorite bike trip I've ever been on was up here in Washington From the farthest point out on the coast down to Oregon. It was pretty beautiful plus lots of twisties =] Haven't been on a long trip with the Tiller yet but at the time of this trip I was riding a '02 GSXR 600 and that was so fun. I miss that bike, once I move down to TX again I plan on finding a beat up 600 to use for the track. =]
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/HeyTiffany09/30vna8m.jpg (broken link)

Tiff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles