Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times

Advertisements

Horsepower limits based on years of experience? Nah. Let Darwinian selection take care of it. Seriously, that might be a rational approach, but every bone in my body rebels against it. My first bike was a 29-hp Suzuki 250 'X-6 Hustler', and I loved it. I rode it all over several states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzzRed View Post
When I was getting my 3rd bike, I went to different forums for info. Even the Harley's rag on each other. If a man rides a 883 Sportster, they say it's a girl bike. WTHeck??
Nice to see that the unofficial "Why I hate HD's" thread has grown (and so many reasons, too...)!

Speaking of the "girl bikes/more macho than-" theme (and maybe HD's protest too much), ever notice the different ways that riders have of sitting on their bikes? Naturally there's the bent-over & aggressive "crotch-rocket" style, or the more-or-less upright "touring" style. But both of these seem to approach the machine as something to assertively straddle and embrace, basically in order to direct (like a horse).

Now if a motorcycle is an object of "desire" (and for many of us, it arguably is), maybe how you "sit on it" also says a few things. And if that's so, what's it say about the typical HD pose, with feet, legs and arms (on longhorns or apehangers) all lewdly spread out, not unlike a woman being, um, "scr*wed" (missionary style too)!!

And BTW, can you think of any PMS or menopausal woman that ever gets more sullen, irritable, and just down-right bitchy than the typical Harley rider with "attitude"?! Very "manly"... (and so much for the strong, silent type)!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
A few years back the Sportster owners were treated like second-class citizens by bigger frame HD owners. It's not so much the case anymore.

I ride an 04 1200 custom and have it equipped for touring with a windshield, touring seat, and rear cargo bag. I've test ridden all the larger models and just don't seem to enjoy them as much as my Sportster which I feel is more agile, responsive, and practical in everyday traffic (as well as being cheaper too).

In any case, I have met many motorcyclists in my pursuits and haven't had any negative encounters. I will say that it has been my experience that HD riders wave and initiate conversations more readily than non-HD owners. Perhaps BMW owners share a similar type of camaraderie.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 PM

Dunno about others, but just as a basic courtesy, I always wave back at anyone who waves at me, regardless whether they're riding Harleys, or even mopeds (which when 'ya consider the horsepower-to-weight ratios, are actually kinda similar)!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM

I always wave back too. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride.

The 1200 Sportsters are my favorite Harleys, especially the new hot version.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And BTW, can you think of any PMS or menopausal woman that ever gets more sullen, irritable, and just down-right bitchy than the typical Harley rider with "attitude"?! Very "manly"... (and so much for the strong, silent type)!
You seem to have more "attitude" than most Harley riders I know. What's that say about you?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You seem to have more "attitude" than most Harley riders I know. What's that say about you?
Hmmm, sounds like someone's a bit, um, "touchy" about that subject.

I rest my case.....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Hmmm, sounds like someone's a bit, um, "touchy" about that subject.

I rest my case.....
Don't have a Harley. Better reinstate your case.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 PM

There are some H-D riders who are a-holes, but there are Honda riders who are too. (And I ride a Honda.) I don't understand the need for the refernce to 'menopausal women', but hey, whatever.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Don't have a Harley. Better reinstate your case.
You mean like the obvious, that the ones with the bitchiest 'tudes are usually the HD "wannabees"... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles