Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:57 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Ridley makes automatic transmission motorcycles ... I rode one for fun at Daytona Bikeweek ... it was cool but they are expensive: ridleymotorcycles.com
Yeahh I saw them at a rally but coughed over the 17 large they wanted for a small displacement bike.

Another automatic - Chinese made, but with a decent reputation - is the Qlink brand Automatic motorcycle,QLink Legacy,CF Moto

I developed an interest in them after giving up on the notion that the Japanese makers will ever come out with anything other than retro or space age design in automatics If a large enough network of dealers develops so that I wouldn't have to take the bike 200 miles for service, I may buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Check out Suzuki Burgmans. They offer a 400 and 650. I have a 400 it is is nimble and light but can easily handle freeway speeds plus enough storage for 2 full face helmets (or a few bags of groceries) under the seat. It is the most popular maxi scooter in the US market. Good site to check out is BurgmanUSA Forum and Website for more info.
Honda also has the Silverwing and the DN-01. The DN-01 is a automatic motorcycle, not a step through "scooter" design. Warning: The sticker price is not for the faint of heart though
This IS the ticket.....The 650 Burgmans and 600 Silverwings are smooth,quiet,very forgiving to riders with little experience and will run and hide from your average everyday "cruiser" style bike from a dead stop.The 400 Burgman is even easier to ride,smoother,cheaper and doesn't have the neck snapping pull that the 650 has.If you need more help due to your legs or feet,try this.

Trike Conversion Kits

My family has several of them and if you need more info on them, feel free to DM me and I can give you locations,prices etc etc .

Last edited by Swampmonster; 02-15-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Another automatic - Chinese made, but with a decent reputation - is the Qlink brand.
Qlink is going through a "transition" with some of their models . . related post.

The CPI GTR 250i (http://www.flypowersports.com/motorcycles/GTR_250i/ - broken link) is another "automatic" option (price unknown).

Old 02-15-2009, 03:02 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Qlink is going through a "transition" with some of their models . . related post.
"The New Legacy 250 is still an automatic motorcycle but with improvements compared to the previous one made by CFMOTO. The major improvements are more storage spaces and a larger radiator mounted outside of the frame to avoid overheating."

Sounds promising but is yet again why I stick with a wide-market, stable brand.

Quote:
The CPI GTR 250i (http://www.flypowersports.com/motorcycles/GTR_250i/ - broken link) is another "automatic" option (price unknown).
Yee gawds, that is ugly [insert usual disclaimer about personal opinions]

Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,062,478 times
more automatic motorcycles are on the way :

Aprilia Mana 850
Honda DN-01
Yamaha's 1300

Ridley's are ridiculously over-priced.

Moto Guzzi made some big cc automatic bikes, but they were beasts to handle/repair.

Honda made a CB750 automatic from '76' - '78, but they sit high and are heavy.

Honda also made a CM400 & Hawk automatic, from '78 - '83.
`
lastly, Suzuki made a GS450 automatic, from '82 - '85.

fine specimens of each of these can be found on eBay from time to time...

here's a pic of my GS450 which I turned into a low-riding baby chopper

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/jg122/chop1.jpg

Last edited by JG183; 02-15-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: added photo link

Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Aprilia Mana 850.

Rides like a real bike, has a CVT. Everyone who has ridden it, including me, is impressed. Among the best bikes available for riding in the city if you don't want the scooter look.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Aprilia Mana 850.

Rides like a real bike, has a CVT. Everyone who has ridden it, including me, is impressed. Among the best bikes available for riding in the city if you don't want the scooter look.
I tell you what I like when I ride my scooter vs my big bike...drinking soda while going down the road....It is so balanced and forgiving that I can actually(do it ALL of the time) reach down into my cup holder,pull my soda out and take a big ol' drink and put it back without the least bobble and that is also done while a squirming 10yo girl is on the back of it with her Ipod going full blast and praticing her cheerleading arm waves and talking to her cousins on the radio who are riding with their parents in the pack and praticing their cheerleading moves too...they are just SO easy to ride....you can actually ENJOY the scenery on the back of one of them....You DO have to be secure in your manhood to ride one tho'(kinda like dudes who wear Crocs...I'm not THAT secure enough ...yet)

Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Yeahh I saw them at a rally but coughed over the 17 large they wanted for a small displacement bike.

Another automatic - Chinese made, but with a decent reputation - is the Qlink brand Automatic motorcycle,QLink Legacy,CF Moto

I developed an interest in them after giving up on the notion that the Japanese makers will ever come out with anything other than retro or space age design in automatics If a large enough network of dealers develops so that I wouldn't have to take the bike 200 miles for service, I may buy one.
That is a major problem....parts supply,dealers and mechanics who have a clue about how to work on them and fully understand the riders AND the machines....Maybe one day

CFmoto is actually one of the better manufacturers along with Kymco(I know,different countries etc,but they are ALL lumped in as Chinese when you try to sell them and they dont have Honda,Suzuki or Yamaha on their side covers)....They are lower on the quality food chain than ANY of the Japanese outfits,but WAY above the offerings of LiFan,Roketa and those type machines.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
Just get a good brand and find out about the service department. Just doesn't help to feel you got a bargain and then when something goes wrong you can't fix it.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Just get a good brand and find out about the service department. Just doesn't help to feel you got a bargain and then when something goes wrong you can't fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles