Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times

Advertisements

Take the class.
Even people who have rode for years and finaly take the class learn things they never thought of.
I STRONGLY recommend the MSF course. Start out right by developing good basic knowledge and riding habits instead of developing bad habits and never learning the correct way to handle a motorcycle. What you learn just might save your life someday. There is much more to controlling a mc than just shifting gears.
I also recommend obtaining the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. Lots of good info and instruction from an expert instructor.
Riding can be very enjoyable. There is also the element of danger. Learing all you can about how to help reduce the danger is well worth the time and money spent. You will be doing yourself a big favor by taking the class.
Also, I don't know about the laws in your state, but in my state if you take the class and pass it you can get your endorsement without having to do the state test. You will still have to take the written test to get your beginners permit though. You have to have that to take the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 AM

3 posts, read 6,861 times
Default Reply to all: Training Class: Do I Need It?

I would to thank all those that responded to my question, some were respectful responses and other were rude. For those that inquired about my health, I thank you as well, I'm fine. I was sitting on the bike in the PARKING LOT and it fell.

I never said I was not going to take the class, I posed the question of the relevence of the class. To pass judgement on someone because they asked a question is ridiculous.

I have enough value for the lives of myself and the riders and children in cars on the road to ever take a motorcylce on the road without learning how first. Stupid, I am not!!! But my Grandmother always said to me a stupid question is a question not asked....

So with that being said everyone take care.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat 69 View Post
Hello, I just bought my baby, Sheena; a '08 Ninja ZX600 Special Edition... I am a new rider and have gotten conflicting info. as to whether or not I really need the training course.

I've been told since I drive a stick shift, then riding my bike should be easy and second nature 2 me. Then there are those that say, "go take the class."

I dropped my bike the first time I took it out the other weekend and I threw a 2yr old temper tantrum in the parking lot (mind u I'm 39, lol). more so because of nerves than anything.

The other question is; is there anyone that can teach me that don't charge an arm and a leg and part of your kidney. The cheapest class i found was a min of $300 and the classes through DMV are filled until the 12th day after never....

Please help
TAKE THE CLASS!!!!! By all means.It can and probably will saveyour life one day.I know that sounds harsh,but asphalt IS harsh

Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
I would to thank all those that responded to my question, some were respectful responses and other were rude. For those that inquired about my health, I thank you as well, I'm fine. I was sitting on the bike in the PARKING LOT and it fell.

I never said I was not going to take the class, I posed the question of the relevence of the class. To pass judgement on someone because they asked a question is ridiculous.

I have enough value for the lives of myself and the riders and children in cars on the road to ever take a motorcylce on the road without learning how first. Stupid, I am not!!! But my Grandmother always said to me a stupid question is a question not asked....

Hi there, i suggest the motorcycle class, I've rode for over 30 years and took a class and was suprised at what i learned, some of it I did without knowing it but i learned some things that really helped my riding, good skills and good protective gear will give you the most enjoyment and the best shot at riding another day if something goes bad, have a great time with the bike. yes your right rude posts don't help answer the questions and everyone will drop a bike at some point in time.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I agree with the "take the class" gang. I've had my bike about two weeks now and it's been snowing, raining, or dark just about every time I go to ride it. I've been out twice for a total of 5 miles in the neighborhood and a local (empty) parking lot.

I cannot wait to take the course. It will reinforce what you studied in your DMV guide, teach elementary skills, and help you be a more confident and safer rider. The course can also replace the "driving" test portion of the licensing process and give you a break on insurance coverage.

I'll also be the first to tell you that while I am a pretty good driver of the 5 speed transmission in the cage, I really had to focus on coordinating the controls of the cycle. Wow, shifting, throttle, foot brake, hand brake, clutch, balance, awareness of what's around me, etc kept me pretty busy in my first trips out. I can't wait to become more polished and learn more about the bike. Of course, the class will reinforce these things and teach me more stuff!

Good luck and be safe out there.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:

some of the comments may have come across harsh, but they're only out of concern for their fellow rider. it's just tough love is all.

being that it is getting into riding season across the country, we'll inevitably be seeing more and more new people heading to the sport, so the more we can scare straight into riding correctly and avoiding squidly acts, the better.

Mike

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
some of the comments may have come across harsh, but they're only out of concern for their fellow rider. it's just tough love is all.

being that it is getting into riding season across the country, we'll inevitably be seeing more and more new people heading to the sport, so the more we can scare straight into riding correctly and avoiding squidly acts, the better.

Mike
REP2U

Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Sage of Sagle: A 250cc 2-stroke road bike with 55 rear wheel hp? That's one incredibly hot 250!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
I don't ride currently but took the MSF when I got my first H-D, after having ridden a motorcycle or dirtbike since I was about 8 years old. It was worth it, and I also took the advance course.

Take the course, IMHO.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Sage of Sagle: A 250cc 2-stroke road bike with 55 rear wheel hp? That's one incredibly hot 250!
Yes. Aprilia (RS250), Suzuki (RGV250), and Honda (NSR250) were all road-going 2-stroke 250cc bikes in that power range. The Aprilia 2-stroke MotoGP 250cc bike makes over 100 rwhp and weighs just 220 lbs (yes...just two hundred twenty). Crazy stuff.
Alvaro Bautista Fan Site - Sitio De Fans - Aprilia RSW 250 GP Bike (http://www.alvarobautista.co.uk/aprilia-250cc.html - broken link)
Completely different than offroad 250cc engines. Like apples and axle grease...no comparison.

Phatcat69, I'm glad to hear you're looking seriously at the training courses. Really just the way to go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles