Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM

190 posts, read 679,509 times

Advertisements

I know quite a few people in LA that do. Near perfect year round weather, HOV lanes, lane splitting and ease of parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,338,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Trust me, the traffic here isnt news to me. I wont be in the DC area but another year, thankfully. I'll either be in Louisville or Hampton Roads and both are much better than NoVA for ANY traffic.
I live in the DC area and commute a few times a week on my motorcycle. I go from Alexandria to Reston. It can get pretty crazy sometimes and I've had some close calls, but I enjoy riding so much more than driving that it's worth the risk to me.

I do a few things to minimize my interaction with the cagers. I avoid the heart of rush hour. My work hours are pretty flexible, so I either come in early or come in a little later to avoid the craziest of traffic. Also, I avoid the beltway at all costs. Personally, I don't even like driving my car on that road. Besides that, just stay focused and avoid blind spots, etc. as the cagers will pull into your lane. I've had it happen twice in the past month. The last one almost put me down on 110 North.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,644,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
btw insurance and gear is cheap, 1000 for gear. Are you kidding me people? I spent $70 on a brand new helmet, $150 for a new jacket, very nice btw. Gloves were $30. Insurance is $32 a month and I'm only 20 so I get that nice bill.

Fwiw, you ride a 250 - that's not going to cost much to insure, not like a liter bike or even a 500-750 will cost you.

As for gear, it depends on what you buy. Quality full-face helmets can easily hit $300-500, leather jackets with armor $300-500, gloves can be $50-100, boots $100-300, and pants $150-250.

When you look at gear to buy, always ask people how well it holds up - it may look pretty on the hanger, but will it rip apart if you are in an accident or will it hold up and do its job? Leather will last you through more than one fall, textile is done after one. A better helmet weighs less and lets in less road noise, but that's more important for highway speeds. Will you buy hot and cold weather gear? Gear that works for both? Et cetera...

It depends how much you want to spend to protect yourself, but $1000 is considered the norm.

I'm actually curious what helmet you have that cost you only $70 - I'm guessing its a half or open-face helmet.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 06-24-2009 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM

1,190 posts, read 3,468,270 times
Default Aprilia Commuter

Quote:
I live in the DC area where Motorcycles are allowed to use the less crowded HOV lanes. I think this would drive the incentive to buy a motorcycle for commuting purposes.

I've also heard that motorcycles get great fuel mileage. This i think would help those who have long commutes.

So anyone using your bike primarily for commuting?
I do just that (HOV rider) but in Houston. I ride my 200cc Aprilia scooter down the diamond lane about 15-20 miles from far SW Houston into the central business district. The bike has a top speed of 85 according to the cycle magazines but in reality does 80 or so with my fat as* on it :-) . It gets about 70 miles per gallon. Insurance is pretty cheap on a 5 year old bike (only about $300/yr on a multi-vehicle policy). Tires are pretty expensive, though, and don't last quite as long. Overall, I do save money vs car. I live on a lake in a wonderful quiet neighborhood and am downtown working in my skyscraper in 25 minutes door-to-door. Even if costs were the same I'd still ride it because it's just a blast shooting down the curvey diamond lane strip between the concrete barriers with bumper to bumper cars sitting in their exhaust fumes on the other side of the concrete. It's like being in a real life video game and makes my 50+ self feel like a teenager (OK, no jokes about male menopause, etc).

Just be REAL careful. After a close call by a cutting in driver (actually on the frontage road when I stopped off at a Sam's Club) I am extremely defensive and looking for escape routes and where a bright yellow construction worker's vest over my red cyclists jacket (with kevlar elbow and shoulder pads). The HOV lanes help you safety-wise, I believe, because you have nobody on either side potentially cutting into your lane unexpectedly except at widely-spaced park-n-ride entrance ramps and they are well-marked and you can be vigilant.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

I'm actually curious what helmet you have that cost you only $70 - I'm guessing its a half or open-face helmet.
As with anything else if you are willing to shop carefully you can get good gear for not a lot of money.
I have 2 FF helmets an HJC CL-SP and a Caberg and didn't spend over $70 for either of them.
Cortech perforated leather jacket with CE rated armor and thermal liner $79
Honda boots $29
Power Trip leather gloves with knuckle protectors $10
Big Splurge, Fieldsheer overpants for $100.
Insurance on my 650 Honda, $100 a year (it is old and so am I)

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,644,978 times
Hey, PM me where you buy your gear!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Hey, PM me where you buy your gear!
I'll send you a list but you're going to have to work at the shopping.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,560,810 times
Quote:
Fwiw, you ride a 250 - that's not going to cost much to insure, not like a liter bike or even a 500-750 will cost you.

As for gear, it depends on what you buy. Quality full-face helmets can easily hit $300-500, leather jackets with armor $300-500, gloves can be $50-100, boots $100-300, and pants $150-250.

When you look at gear to buy, always ask people how well it holds up - it may look pretty on the hanger, but will it rip apart if you are in an accident or will it hold up and do its job? Leather will last you through more than one fall, textile is done after one. A better helmet weighs less and lets in less road noise, but that's more important for highway speeds. Will you buy hot and cold weather gear? Gear that works for both? Et cetera...

It depends how much you want to spend to protect yourself, but $1000 is considered the norm.

My helmet is a Raider brand and it has two vents, it is full face. I looked and looked and found it finally.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,045,428 times
Quote:
I live in the DC area where Motorcycles are allowed to use the less crowded HOV lanes. I think this would drive the incentive to buy a motorcycle for commuting purposes.

I've also heard that motorcycles get great fuel mileage. This i think would help those who have long commutes.

So anyone using your bike primarily for commuting?

I ride a Yamaha V Star 650. It's my daily commuter. If it's not pouring rain when I leave I ride. I don't mind getting wet on the ride home--I can change when I get home.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM

89 posts, read 525,091 times
I just moved back to DC and actually sold my bike as soon as I got here. Turns out there is a high demand for commuter bikes and mine sold in a few hours almost turning into a fight. I believe parking at the metro is also free for bikes. I just was not much into actually commuting on it due to the inerrant danger and weather. Probably wont be critically injured in commuter traffic, but it doesn't take much more than a car slowly changing lanes into you to break something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles