Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times

Advertisements

I had a question for anyone experienced in towing a boat with their truck/SUV. I plan on going to Lake Havasu with a couple friends this weekend and one of them has a 27' Cruiser that he asked me to tow up there. I have no problem doing this but the tow rating on my Denali is 7900 lbs and his boat has a dry weight of 7600 lbs appx; I know you're only supposed to tow 3/4 of the maximum tow rating of your vehicle so I was wondering if it would be safe to use my Yukon to tow his boat? The trip is about 3-3.5 hours without traffic.

If it isn't safe to use my Yukon, my dad has an '09 F-150 that I'm sure I could borrow. It can tow 11,000 lbs but I'd rather use my SUV is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I had a question for anyone experienced in towing a boat with their truck/SUV. I plan on going to Lake Havasu with a couple friends this weekend and one of them has a 27' Cruiser that he asked me to tow up there. I have no problem doing this but the tow rating on my Denali is 7900 lbs and his boat has a dry weight of 7600 lbs appx; I know you're only supposed to tow 3/4 of the maximum tow rating of your vehicle so I was wondering if it would be safe to use my Yukon to tow his boat? The trip is about 3-3.5 hours without traffic.

If it isn't safe to use my Yukon, my dad has an '09 F-150 that I'm sure I could borrow. It can tow 11,000 lbs but I'd rather use my SUV is possible.

Towing is more about what the car can stop as opposed to haul.

I'd borrow the truck if I were you.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Yeah...go for the truck. That's a heavy boat.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Towing is more about what the car can stop as opposed to haul.

I'd borrow the truck if I were you.
Exactly. It's not about how fast you can pull the boat. It's a matter of pure safety.

I too would borrow the truck, even though I am a bit surprised that a half-ton truck has that much higher towing capacity than a Yukon.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I don't have any experience towing stuff in this weight class, but it's hot now in AZ, you mentioned hills too, guessing at the weight of the trailer itself and at least some fluids in the boat, you would be at or a little over your SUV's rated towing capacity - you could certainly get away with it at least once, but if you have a more suitable truck available I think it would be wise to use it.

With all that I would suggest you not try to set any records for how quickly the trip can be made, that's a lot of weight and considerably more than you are (probably) used to handling. The urge to demonstrate the prowress of your rig to your buds is likely to be strong, suggest you supress it as much as you can.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Solid advice all around, I'd go with the truck as well. Why push things to their limits if you can find a better alternative?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
I guess I'll go for the truck then, I really wouldn't want to exceed the maximum tow rating in case I did have to stop suddenly or something. I'm not very skilled in towing large objects to begin with, the biggest thing I've pulled so far was a car trailer and it wasn't near the size of this behemoth boat! Better to be safe than sorry...

Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
The boat weighs over 7000 lbs, and there are no brakes on the trailer? That isn't legal in many States! The TRAILER BRAKES stop the trailer!
If the boat trailer has no brakes, and/or you don't have a brake controller in your SUV or the truck, you have no business towing anything that heavy!
I don't know where the so-called "80% rule" came from, but it is fallacious. Your rig is rated to tow just exactly what the book says it is. Actually,it is a pretty safe bet that the engineers downrated it by at least 10% to help avoid lawsuits!
I am not telling you what to do, and I am not giving advice, but if it was my rig, and I had a good brake controller, and the trailer had brakes and a breakaway system as (probably) required by law, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of towing that boat.
The trailer may have surge brakes, in which case I would want to check them to be sure they were working.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The boat weighs over 7000 lbs, and there are no brakes on the trailer? That isn't legal in many States! The TRAILER BRAKES stop the trailer!
If the boat trailer has no brakes, and/or you don't have a brake controller in your SUV or the truck, you have no business towing anything that heavy!
I don't know where the so-called "80% rule" came from, but it is fallacious. Your rig is rated to tow just exactly what the book says it is. Actually,it is a pretty safe bet that the engineers downrated it by at least 10% to help avoid lawsuits!
I am not telling you what to do, and I am not giving advice, but if it was my rig, and I had a good brake controller, and the trailer had brakes and a breakaway system as (probably) required by law, I wouldn't be a bit afraid of towing that boat.
The trailer may have surge brakes, in which case I would want to check them to be sure they were working.
I'm not seeing anything confirming or denying that there are brakes on the trailer, but, I have never seen a trailer that large without brakes.

Yeah, you pretty much have to have trailer brakes to tow a trailer heavier than the towing vehicle - probably should have them with smaller trailers, but once you exceed the towing vehicle weight, if you are going to go over agricultural tractor speeds, there you are.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Yeah, we'd hate to see another picture like this one show up on the internet...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles