Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times

Advertisements

Curses. But I suppose if they were street legal, there would be a lot of people being run over due to riding them on the interstate and other places where they really don't fit all that well. Although philosophically, I don't like the law protecting people from themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
They drove them on the streets all the time, like normal cars, when I was in Biwabik, MN - a small town with 900 people and 3 bars - in 2003.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,056 times
People ride 4-wheelers and snowmachines on the streets all the time here. I think you're supposed to have a drivers license and maybe have it registered, but nobody seems to care or enforce anything like that. The teenage boys cruise around in little groups in the winter, and just the other day I saw a kid that was maybe 13 riding a snowmachine on the sidewalk while pulling a younger kid around on a sled behind him. You don't see those kinds of vehicles on the highway of course, except on unpaved ones like the Denali Highway and McCarthy Road (there are trails along the sides of the paved highways in a lot of places, though).

Not sure if this is true, but I have read that most AK towns on the road system don't allow snowmachines or even 4-wheelers on the street, but it's quite normal here.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM

147 posts, read 280,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Maine many rural towns have made all town roads open to ATVs. From my home I can ride over 100 miles to the ocean. stick my tires in salt water just to say I did and ride back, all legally. We ride on public roads, private logging roads and trails. We can ride to restaurants and gas stations on many state highways. We can run on state highways to get to bridges that cross rivers. We have over 10,000 miles of trail and people tell me this is ATV heaven.

Caution: You can't just ride anywhere you want. You must be on designated trails, authorized public roads or have permission from the landowner. 95% of Maine is privately owned land. We have no BLM to contend with here.

We have a Polaris 500 ATP, Polaris 300 Sportsman and an old Suzuki 250 that has more forward speeds than a Peterbilt. ;-)
I'm looking to buy a quad for Aroostook County is it a usual sight to drive it around in town with getting stopped by cops?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Yeah, I dont see why not. As long as you have headlights, brake lights and turns signals then why the heck not? Can-Ams Spyders are street legal and, other than the road tires and wheels, are they really much different from an ATV? OP, you see a lot of ATVs on the roads here in Arizona albeit usually up in the smaller mountain towns. In Phoenix and Tucson, not so much.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not legal in Colorado--period. Also, not legal in all Utah counties. I wish Colorado would legalize ATV's for road use the way Arizona, Wyoming, South Dakota, and Idaho have, but I see no sentiment in the metropolitan-dominated Colorado Legislature to do it. Thanks in large part to the large number of California transplants infesting Colorado, Colorado is increasingly following California's "nanny state" metropolitan-centered philosophy.
You never know. Even Washington state was able to get some leeway to the individual counties to decide to allow them on roads. If that liberal-dominated hellhole can do so, seems like you should have a shot in Colorado.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Sunsprit mentioned earlier that I use a 4 wheeler for main transportation. I use it to get grocery's, go to other stores, doctor appointments, etc. I might mention, I live 20 miles from town.

I've got a Honda 400 Rancher. If I take gravel roads I run 40 mph most of the way, there are a couple curves that I have to slow down for. If I take the highway, I run 55 mph. That's State Highway. MPV (Multi Purpose Vehicles) are not allowed on the Interstate.

I was putting heavy wear on my tires so I found a place on the internet to get rims made that would take standard 14 inch car tires. So in the Spring, I swap out the knobs, rims and all and put on my street tires and rims. The tires are within 1/4 inch in diameter from being exactly the same. The street tires are 50,000 warranteed radials. Think I'll ever wear them out?

I do about 3000 miles a year with my 4 wheeler on the road, about 300-400 on trails. That keeps my Ford Diesel down to less then 1000 miles a year.

Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota are all legal.

The only thing I had to add to make it street legal was to add a mirror, and a horn. Everything else is stock. No helmets required in those three states for me. Don't know about kids.

55 with a 400 Rancher? It must be a long hill.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
55 with a 400 Rancher? It must be a long hill.
haha Nope, on the flat..... real flat, no wind.... That is with my street tires on it. This week, due to impending snow, I pulled them off and put the knobbys back on. Took it out and run it flat out and can do 48. Run into town yesterday, 21 miles, and I tried it on 3 or 4 different flat areas and that was it, 48 and not a penny more.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:12 PM

147 posts, read 280,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
haha Nope, on the flat..... real flat, no wind.... That is with my street tires on it. This week, due to impending snow, I pulled them off and put the knobbys back on. Took it out and run it flat out and can do 48. Run into town yesterday, 21 miles, and I tried it on 3 or 4 different flat areas and that was it, 48 and not a penny more.
I love Wyoming

Old 12-04-2013, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
So i live in Mass and I'm trying to find out if their is any way i can have my quad street legal right now i ride dirty on the streets only at night but it would be nice to ride to work and save on gas i mean if Mass can have the can am things on the road why can't i have my quad if anyone knows what i need to do please email me back [email]john015@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles