U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 11:32 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,720,501 times

Advertisements

Beginner kayaker here. I was looking for one last summer, but Kayaks went the way of toilet paper in the pandemic and I couldn't find one anywhere. I was in Dicks Sporting Goods today and saw they had a bunch in stock. Most were Pelican brand kayaks in the $250 range. I've seen mixed reviews on these. I've seen some comments stating they are good beginner kayaks and help you understand what you want out of a more expensive kayak. Others say skip them and put some extra money into a better kayak.

I checked some other stores and they don't have any in stock yet. I'm looking to get one sooner than later because I don't know if they will sell out again once springs rolls around.

The only thing I know for sure is I want a sit-in kayak and will primarily be used in smaller lakes. Something to paddle around the lake. No fishing. I don't see the need for much storage. Budget wise, I could go $500-750.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:19 PM

4,201 posts, read 1,941,596 times
So there are some places that rent kayaks, and I'd highly recommend doing that a few times with different boats at first to get some feel for what different kayaks are like.

Regarding shape at the most basic level, for a given hull volume, you have long/skinny kayaks (about 13-16 feet) and short/fat kayaks (about 9-12 feet) that can carry the same weight. The short/fat kayaks turn easier, they are less tippy, and less awkward to carry around. The long/skinny kayaks are faster (or less work to go the same speed), and they are easier to keep traveling on a straight line.

For open, flat water, most people tend more towards the longer/skinnier boats, because you have lots of space to turn, and you appreciate the easier paddling when you have no current to help you and may want to paddle a good ways.

For streams and smaller rivers, especially rocky ones and fast water, most people tend towards the shorter/fatter boats, as you need to maneuver faster, and you have the current helping to push you.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:14 PM

1,328 posts, read 764,152 times
Please remember that you can feel safer in a sit-on-top kayak in rain or choppy water because any water intrusion just leaks out at the bottom holes - called scupper holes.

It works, believe me.

In a sit-in kayak (unless it has a skirt) water remains inside the kayak and even in the calmest days some water will get in from the paddles. In a heavy downpour, far from the shore, you are in danger. The kayak might not sink due to the built in foam, but maneuvering it and reach the dry land is more difficult. Then, once you are on shore, you need to dump out the water. We have both types and I prefer the sit-on-top by far.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 849,750 times
You'll want "hands-free" propulsion when fishing. Like this~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2-pFkYm4s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles