Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post

I like the peanut tank the best. The new , bigger one looks
too generic to me. I agree with everything you said. With
bias belt tires, single disc brakes and not-so-great weight
distribution the 'Sporty can be ridden outside its safety zone
very quickly. I know this all too well
But, its reliable to a fault, time tested and really fun to work
on if you are so inclined. If you take even halfway decent care
of it, it will last way long than you will ride it

Well, it's been forever since I've owned a bike -- more than 12 years, so I was looking at it as a good re-entry bike. I'm a more conservative rider as well (in terms of what I'd expect from a bike). I want something I can ride around town or to work or take out for short weekend rides, and I did rather have my heart set on a Harley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, it's been forever since I've owned a bike -- more than 12 years, so I was looking at it as a good re-entry bike. I'm a more conservative rider as well (in terms of what I'd expect from a bike). I want something I can ride around town or to work or take out for short weekend rides, and I did rather have my heart set on a Harley
Just do it !!

Really, with the deals you can get on them, even if you dont like it
(which wont happen) you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.
They're a lot of fun !

This is my old 'Sporty.....
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone own a Sportster 883?-sportster.jpg  

Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
About the only practical downside to Sportys, and I think this holds for all of them, newest to oldest, is that cool-looking "peanut" gas tank does not hold much gas, so your range between stops is limited.

That and in today's bike world, they are not particularly fast or powerful.

But in the grand scheme of things, they are basically very good bikes.

Yeah, one of my riding buddies has a 1200 nightster and it doesn't get a very good tank range (maybe about 120/tank). Besides that, fast bike for a cruiser, heavy but low center of gravity.

As far as ride is concerned, the suspensions aren't the best on the sportsters and I know he came from a vulcan which he thought was a much smoother ride.

Overall though, the Sportsters are really nice bikes and an 883 would probably be a good bike to come back into riding (assuming OP has ridden before).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles