Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times

Advertisements

Yeah it has the Tillotson carb c Completly stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it necessary to rev a motorcycle engine before you drive it?-my-64-flh.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:44 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Yeah it has the Tillotson carb c Completly stock.
Beautiful bike Ken.

The tillotson on my 70 XLCH is just as fussy as it's reputation.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:07 PM

28 posts, read 100,567 times
The revving is totally for show and effect, ask him to stop..i ride a bike and do it every once and a while to hear my engine but not every time i come and go..it ticks the neighbors off..my guess is hes a young kid with a crotch rocket right?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
AnesthesiaMD, If you can get detailed pics I can help probably. These would be airfilter assembly off. A shot of the pilot screw aka low speed mix screw, the throttle plate and linkage, the throttle linkage again in detail so the cbles and screw adjustments are in view.

I don't believe there will be a high speed screw at all.
Then if you know how many internal jets there are. 2 or 3 are typical.

A lot of work i understand. I am expert in carbs, but am not familar with this one in my head.

The adjustment you made was AIR, which leaned out the over all fuel to air mix.

In the event you can not get me pics and ARE handy, what to do is run the engine , perhaps ride as many as 8 miles to be certain it is at operational temp. The refine ilde fuel mix, via the pilot screw, allowing the engine to show best over all RPM, with the air untouched.

Refine best RPM by going past best once you locate it. In other words turn the low speed mix screw OUT, and either with a tach, or ny hearing and feel, find best rpm, pass it untill the engine rpm drops a beat, then go back to best and back to rich 1/2 way of that missing beat.

'IF' RPM is high so be it for now.. let it be. Then drop the air via throttle plate controll (a screw as a stop screw for the T plate) to the idle you want. Then again refine mix to the new air setting, as above.

Always leave it at the rich side of best idle but not at the dip in rpm.

After that it will be a matter of knowing jet numbers which are drill sizes, slightly reamed for a no burr no clogging effect.

You did make an error, only very slight.

Other factors: the float may effect over all conditions. A low float level will create a lean engine, one hard to start, while a incorrect too high (doesn't turn the gas off in the carb float chamber on time) will create hard to start engine for overly too much (Rich).

On the carb dose the cable lift a slider piston directly, with the engine off?

Anyone else who knows this carb is very welcomed to chime in. Please do.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Re-read... "IF' you mean turning the low speed mix ala pilot screw that enters the carb body and would point to a place just behind the throttle plate, which woiuld be the mix screw, and it doesn't respond there is a clogg in the drillings some where before the screw. Typically this is from allowing carbs to go bone dry and then some and a white fuel oxide forms and it becomes impossible to move with harsh solvents at times. You could try soaking the parts in carb cleaners and or laquer thinner.

Again if you are handy a shot of compressed air BOTH ways can be a cure. Just don't go probing around with wires

Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Wow. This is a lot to take in. I'll try to get the pics on here in the next couple of days. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:45 PM

OK. I didn't take pics today, but I followed your instructions. It seems my best idle is at 1200RMPs. That seems a little high to me, but at least it doesnt stall so easily.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Sounds a tad hight to me too, but not much. apx 200 RPM. Did this happen on the 2nd refining? There was supposed to b a discovery refine and once found, drop the throttle plate screw out, to enable the throttle plate to close a smigen more, and one last refine.

If you did, another way to lower RPM just a slight bit more is to set the MIX screw out adding fuel, but not too much. Might be 1/16th of a turn, certainly no more than 1/8th.

Other things that can effect a points and condenser system for ignition are worn point rubbing blocks, and burnt points, leaving a small pointy bit of metal so when the points close they make contact too soon.

This is called dwell which is time, the time the points begin to open and close, which is directly related to spark timing. Not enough points gap creates less dwell, = less time. Which shows as retarded spark time. or atleast not as advance time as the engine might require.

Other items can be bad plug wires, bad wire end resistor is you have any (bakalite end that clip on the plugs) weak coil(s)

I need to re-read the thread and see if i can find out iof this is a battery ignition or a magneto.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Back to OP. I only rev my cycle's engine if I want to annoy the neighborhood.

BTW - Excellent posts on the adjustment of a motorcycle carburator.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Sounds a tad hight to me too, but not much. apx 200 RPM. Did this happen on the 2nd refining? There was supposed to b a discovery refine and once found, drop the throttle plate screw out, to enable the throttle plate to close a smigen more, and one last refine.

If you did, another way to lower RPM just a slight bit more is to set the MIX screw out adding fuel, but not too much. Might be 1/16th of a turn, certainly no more than 1/8th.

Other things that can effect a points and condenser system for ignition are worn point rubbing blocks, and burnt points, leaving a small pointy bit of metal so when the points close they make contact too soon.

This is called dwell which is time, the time the points begin to open and close, which is directly related to spark timing. Not enough points gap creates less dwell, = less time. Which shows as retarded spark time. or atleast not as advance time as the engine might require.

Other items can be bad plug wires, bad wire end resistor is you have any (bakalite end that clip on the plugs) weak coil(s)

I need to re-read the thread and see if i can find out iof this is a battery ignition or a magneto.
Yes, on the 2nd refining. The bike sat for 40 years, so I think I may have to just take the damn carb apart and clean it. I have no idea what I am doing, but that is one of the reasons I bought this bike...so I can learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles